Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New TW Feature: What Plays Like A... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=395839)

TW Staff 09-06-2011 04:31 PM

New TW Feature: What Plays Like A...

You TT members are the first to see this new feature! Please check it out and give us your feedback. Thoughts? Suggestions for other racquets? Likes and dislikes?

Let us know!

http://tenniswarehouse.com/playslikea/

TW Staff

bad_call 09-06-2011 04:35 PM

how different is this feature as compared to "Similar Racquets" when selecting a particular racquet such as http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Dunl...NLOP-D4D1.html

specialjustin 09-06-2011 04:36 PM

I think this is a marvelous addition to your already shopper-friendly knowledge base. Simple too!!

specialjustin 09-06-2011 04:39 PM

I might add that alot of people ask for "arm safe" racquets. And although this usually means high flex, it's not exclusive. Maybe an arm safe button option?

UWBTennis 09-06-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad_call (Post 5969081)
how different is this feature as compared to "Similar Racquets" when selecting a particular racquet such as http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Dunl...NLOP-D4D1.html

This one seems to also include a description of the racket main selling point. Like for example, with the BLX 6.1 95 (18 X 20): "The denser string pattern ups the control factor of this midplus player's racquet. For those who occasionally like to flatten out their strokes or temper a little ball speed off the stringbed, this is the one. If you like what this one has to offer, you'll also find these other control-oriented midplus racquets a good fit." It also seems to have less option than the similar racket, maybe because they need to come up with an explanation for the other rackets. I think this is an improvement to the similar racket because it explains how they're similar.

On another point, I have a suggestion for a new project for the TW professor. I already put it in the most spin friendly racket thread, but I would like him to measure the difference between the main strings and then make a ranking list for that. A ranking list for the spin window would also be very nice like he did with the string friction list to give us a idea of the most spin producing combination, please and thank you.

retlod 09-06-2011 04:56 PM

All in all, a great addition for those players who are casually shopping for racquets.

Would there be a way for TT members who have more than some number of posts to rank racquets or vote for those that are the most similar to the racquets featured? For example, on the Babolat APDGT page, I would say that the Pure Drive and the Organix 8 play more like the AeroPro than the BLX Pro Open or the Biomimetic 500 Tour do. Probably very unruly and near impossible, but I thought I'd ask.

nalvarado 09-06-2011 07:19 PM

Sounds like a great reference for new forum members asking repeat questions. Sticky the link?

BobFL 09-06-2011 10:08 PM

It is definitely good in the sense that it is stand alone destination that links everything together. However, imho it is kind of redundant. Example: if I want to see what plays similarly to racquet X I would go directly to its page and scroll down.

movdqa 09-07-2011 03:15 AM

Good idea but maybe some kind of numerical comparison would be useful. Perhaps a difference number where you take a number of metrics and just add (perhaps weighted) the differences.

I pulled up the Head Prestige MP and the PK Redondo is listed as a similar frame. I've hit with both and they don't play or feel similar.

Veninga 09-21-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UWBTennis (Post 5969102)
This one seems to also include a description of the racket main selling point. Like for example, with the BLX 6.1 95 (18 X 20): "The denser string pattern ups the control factor of this midplus player's racquet. For those who occasionally like to flatten out their strokes or temper a little ball speed off the stringbed, this is the one. If you like what this one has to offer, you'll also find these other control-oriented midplus racquets a good fit." It also seems to have less option than the similar racket, maybe because they need to come up with an explanation for the other rackets. I think this is an improvement to the similar racket because it explains how they're similar.

On another point, I have a suggestion for a new project for the TW professor. I already put it in the most spin friendly racket thread, but I would like him to measure the difference between the main strings and then make a ranking list for that. A ranking list for the spin window would also be very nice like he did with the string friction list to give us a idea of the most spin producing combination, please and thank you.

+1! In other words. I agree.

TimothyO 09-21-2011 04:56 PM

Great job! The section on the PSLGT is spot on.

Ashley D 09-21-2011 10:06 PM

The more tools the better, but I have to say that I don't really get it's usefullness. If you want something that plays like a Pure Drive GT, why wouldn't you just get a Pure Drive GT? And if you're looking to switch from a Pure Drive GT, surely you are looking for something that DOESN'T play like a Pure Drive GT?

TimothyO 09-22-2011 02:20 AM

Ashley,

Since no racquet plays precisely like another the value of he tool is helping one to find a "variation on a theme".

For example, the PSLGT is a soft, low powered, control oriented frame. One reason I migrated to the 300 from the PSLGT is that I wanted a tad more power (not much, just a little) on serves. The frames listed as Plays Like the PSLGT do in fact provide comfort and control with just a tad more power in general.

On the other hand, someone looking for a tad more control might migrate from the EXO3 to the PSLGT.

Ashley D 09-22-2011 04:07 AM

Yeah, fair point.

puck1230 09-23-2011 10:29 AM

Can you provide more transparency into the engine powering this feature? As a POG Mid user, I feel that the recommendation that a Youtek Prestige Mid "plays like a" POG, is extremely misleading. They're both headlight and have small headsizes, but that's where the similarities end, and even the "headlight" comparison is questionable as there's a more polarizing distribution in the prestige at the tip.

You could have a 100sq in racquet play more similar to a POG than a YT Prestige Mi

Veninga 09-24-2011 01:22 AM

guys from TW. Can you help us to understand the logic behind the tool. Which criteria do you take into account? for example: weight, swingweight, head size, string pattern, balance, power level, plowthrough? etc. would be nice to have the insight. and maybe you can show them in the tool as well. so you can see what the differences are between the selected alternatives.

on different parts of the forum there has been a lot of discussion going on about how to compare rackets and stuff. so you algorythm to select similar rackets would help them too.

thanks in advance.

Steve Huff 10-01-2011 11:27 PM

I didn't see any Pro Kennex rackets listed. Kind of in the "arm safety" list I guess. Surely something plays similarly to some of the PK rackets.

Tennis_Mad 10-04-2011 01:11 PM

Which rackets play like the radical MP but are more stable against harder hitters ????

Hooked 10-06-2011 05:33 AM

Bravo TW!

Great tool and I concur with most of your recommendations for the frames I am familiar with.

Suggestion: Add a section for discontinued racquets so people looking to get a new one can see what the modern equivalent options are. Start with the best sellers and build from there. Bridge the gap from the old to the new.

Thanks for listening.

TW Staff 10-06-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooked (Post 6047886)
Bravo TW!

Great tool and I concur with most of your recommendations for the frames I am familiar with.

Suggestion: Add a section for discontinued racquets so people looking to get a new one can see what the modern equivalent options are. Start with the best sellers and build from there. Bridge the gap from the old to the new.

Thanks for listening.

We were planning to add the discontinued racquets from the beginning, but got caught up with all the newest racquets. We'll start adding in the "classics" soon! Thanks for trying it out! Any other suggestions are welcome.

Jason, TW