Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Nike Showdown shorts (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=395901)

Jeebs 09-07-2011 06:49 AM

Nike Showdown shorts

I got a pair of these shorts in white and wore them for the first time on Saturday. It was pretty warm and I was sweating quite a lot which meant my shorts got saturated...and went see through.

I've got a few other pairs of white shorts that don't do this (like the NET plaid ones) and I think it's pretty short sighted of Nike to make shorts for a sport like tennis that don't stand up to a bit of sweating. The only way to wear these and maintain a bit of dignity is to wear underwear (unhygenic) or with a base layer (expensive, and not cool during summer).

Has anyone else had this issue with the Showdown shorts?

Kunohara 09-07-2011 07:37 AM

So you never wear underwear under your shorts... ? Thats kinda gross.

The solution is to not get white shorts. Anyhow you can tell easily if theyre going to be see through or not when you buy them.

Jeebs 09-07-2011 08:00 AM

Commando all the way. If it's good enough for Agassi it'll do for me.

Just seems odd to me that tennis shorts would be made from material that goes see through when you'll obviously be sweating in them.

Kunohara 09-07-2011 08:17 AM

Commando is gross and unhygienic, not the other way around.

And Agassi isnt really a role model. He would play tennis in jeans short with lycra shorts underneath and a wig.

Jeebs 09-07-2011 08:58 AM

Don't forget the crack.

Whatever you party tennis in something is going to get sweaty and a bit dirty. Whether it's your shorts or underwear is immaterial to me.

hansolo 09-07-2011 11:49 AM

wait a second, you play tennis with no underwear ?

ctmcarlo 09-07-2011 12:29 PM

ahh no gross man !! how can you play without underwear ? or wait...maybe there isn't much to support

Jeebs 09-07-2011 12:49 PM

I don't wear underwear when I do any kind of physical activity. Why would you want to wear a garment made of cotton that's going to end up saturated and clinging to you when you're wearing shorts that are designed to wick the moisture away?

Anyway, underwear or no underwear, the point stands - these shorts shouldn't be going see through when they're wet.

ben123 09-07-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeebs (Post 5971738)
I don't wear underwear when I do any kind of physical activity. Why would you want to wear a garment made of cotton that's going to end up saturated and clinging to you when you're wearing shorts that are designed to wick the moisture away?

Anyway, underwear or no underwear, the point stands - these shorts shouldn't be going see through when they're wet.

i can agree in every aspect :lol:

XFactorer 09-07-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeebs (Post 5971738)

Try compression shorts.

I have the showdown shorts in black and anthracite. My shorts normally are fine. My shirt gets soaked, though.

USERNAME 09-07-2011 03:20 PM

Nike Pro Combat Compression Shorts!!!
BTW commando is fine...

SStrikerR 09-07-2011 03:28 PM

White clothing + water = see through. Ever hear of a wet t shirt contest?

Also, that's gross.

XFactorer 09-07-2011 03:47 PM

Yeah, the Nadal shorts in white are fairly see through, but, as always, I wear compression shorts underneath.

Jeebs 09-07-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USERNAME (Post 5972366)
Nike Pro Combat Compression Shorts!!!
BTW commando is fine...

I might pick up some compression shorts seeing as winter is approaching.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStrikerR (Post 5972399)
White clothing + water = see through. Ever hear of a wet t shirt contest?

I have other white Nike shorts that don't go see through when wet.

USERNAME 09-08-2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeebs (Post 5972463)
I might pick up some compression shorts seeing as winter is approaching.

I have other white Nike shorts that don't go see through when wet.

Higher end tennis shorts, from my experience, tend to be thin light and have an open knit so they stay cool. All those factors lead to a see-through piece of clothing.
You can get NPC Hypercool compression shorts for all year long and Hyperwarm for cold nights or real nippy days.

kevoT 09-08-2011 08:02 AM

How is it unhygenic to wear underwear? xD

BreakPoint 09-08-2011 09:25 AM

Dude, it's not the shorts fault. It's your fault for not wearing underwear. I can't imagine playing any sport without underwear on. All that bouncing around of my "package" would be very uncomfortable, if not outright painful. :shock:

DCaicedo 09-08-2011 12:45 PM

I could see the OP's point about the shorts being 'see-through', since it has a mesh-like material near the back waist, but I have them in black and wouldn't wear them without something- anything- even briefs.

Comando? No way- that's completely unhygenic. The odor of hot garbage would be too much for some people.

Capt. Willie 09-08-2011 12:52 PM

Don't you guys wear jockstraps under your shorts or am I alone in this?

Jeebs 09-08-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Willie (Post 5975853)
Don't you guys wear jockstraps under your shorts or am I alone in this?

The thing with these shorts is, even if you wore a strap your *** cheeks would still be visible through the shorts.