Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   quick rules question - touching the net (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=397682)

stapletonj 09-18-2011 06:28 AM

quick rules question - touching the net

we were playing a little o-d with the local pro feeding
yesterday. My buddy, playing on the other team, ran forward and did the supersharp angle shot that had already bounced once and was clearly unreachable by either me or my partner.....

but, before it had bounced a 2nd time, he could not keep from pretty much falling over the net. (it was really funny, he's a good 6'5", football tight end type and I think he almost broke the net cord) as we were laughing I said it was our point b/c the ball had not bounced yet......

the pro at first said that since it was not reachable by us (and clearly it was not) that it was his point even tho' the ball had not bounced twice (nobody disputed that it had not bounced twice). I protested and the pro relented and gaved us the point.

The sportsman in me dumped the next ball in the net and play continued.

But......tenchnically.......wasn't I right?

SweetH2O 09-18-2011 06:31 AM

You were right.

Cindysphinx 09-18-2011 07:11 AM

Yes, you were right.

If he had stopped in time to avoid touching the net, he may have missed his shot completely or not hit such a great one. IMHO.

Why why why do so many pros not know the rules of the sport they are teaching?

stapletonj 09-18-2011 07:43 AM

he might have known, he used to teach at a major place in FL. There is a lot of good natured hooking and funny rules that get bantered about in our clinics....

corbind 09-18-2011 01:43 PM

He knew he lost the point. Even ten-year-olds know you lose if you touch the net before the ball is dead.

stapletonj 09-18-2011 06:36 PM

haven't seen that happen in years and darned if it didn't happen again today for the 2nd time!

Caesar 09-19-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 6013898)
Why why why do so many pros not know the rules of the sport they are teaching?

Of course he knew the rules. He was just trying to give someone credit for a great get, in a meaningless friendly hit-around.

Fuji 09-29-2011 07:50 PM

Yep! You for sure won the point fair and square!

I did a rookie mistake a few matches ago near the same thing. I hit a "dunk smash" overhead, in singles, and cleared the net by jumping it. I "dropped the ball", as I wasn't thinking. I lost the point obviously! ;)

-Fuji

Lefty 10-15-2011 07:09 PM

To take this one step further:

Suppose it was really close as to whether the ball bounced a second time before the player touched the net. Whose call is it as to which occurred first?

It's tricky because it's two separate events occurring almost instantaneously in different parts of the court.

Tar Heel Tennis 10-15-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty (Post 6065445)
To take this one step further:

Suppose it was really close as to whether the ball bounced a second time before the player touched the net. Whose call is it as to which occurred first?

It's tricky because it's two separate events occurring almost instantaneously in different parts of the court.

The player that touches the net makes the call.

Tammo 10-15-2011 07:41 PM

It was your point. I remember I hit a dropshot, and my opponent hit a lob, but touched the net. He argued that it was his point, but hey, some people just cheat.