Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How To Pressurize / Revive Old Tennis Balls... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=397853)

SeasonedNovice 09-19-2011 01:23 PM

How To Pressurize / Revive Old Tennis Balls...

Wow. Just found this thing. It RE-Charges / Re-Pressureizes Flat Tennis Balls, and also keeps new ones at the Correct pressure.

It's called "Pressureball" (Is it ok to Post the URL of the Manufacturers Website? If so I will)

All the other "Pressureizers" on the market just keep new tennis balls at their correct pressure. But this thing Pumps life back into FLAT balls. You can put up to 20 PSI in this thing.

I filled this thing up with old crappy, balls (that are literally 2 years old). I kept them in there for a few days, and played with them the other day and they are literally just as bouncy as New Tennis Balls! I could not believe it. This thing works like a champ.

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience with this thing because it works so well. Couldn't be happier.

Anyone else tried one?

ATP100 09-19-2011 03:09 PM

PVC pipe works better and holds more.

sundaypunch 09-19-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATP100 (Post 6016769)
PVC pipe works better and holds more.

Yes, but how many people here have the ability to make one? The pressureball looks like it's under $20 shipped.

Wilson 1986 09-19-2011 04:53 PM

pumping pressure back in to old flat balls is one thing, but it's useless if the felt is worn.
I have used several balls that lose their bounce and the felt is still like new.
the worst I found are the slazenger Wimbledon hi viz balls.
has anyone else found this with these balls, or indeed other balls?

Wilson 1986 09-19-2011 04:56 PM

it does seem to make sense that if the balls can lose pressure it can be pumped back in.
I thought that when the balls are worn to such a state that the felt starts to wear off, the pressure inside will be going too.

Lyzerd 09-19-2011 05:23 PM

I keep old balls to practice serves but when I play a friend I just buy a new can so I dont see much of a need to re pressurize my tennis balls, but good for you finding this and enjoying it.

Wilson 1986 09-19-2011 05:29 PM

you don't see much of a need to save money buying new balls all the time when you can revive used ones?
there is nothing wrong with saving money.

Wilson 1986 09-19-2011 05:31 PM

having said that, why would you use old balls for serving practise? hitting with old balls can cause damage to your shoulder and elbow.
so why risk using said balls when you are hitting the ball as hard as you can during your serve?

ATP100 09-20-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 6016802)
Yes, but how many people here have the ability to make one? The pressureball looks like it's under $20 shipped.

Anyone can make one, and, people with a ball machine will need more balls.

SeasonedNovice 09-20-2011 07:43 AM

Let me just say that, YES, it is a good idea to Recharge flat balls with FELT in good shape.

Just because it is a flat ball doesn't = no felt. I don't know why everyone assumes this.

Heck, you can open a new set of balls that haven't even been used, and a couple days later they will be pretty much useless for serious playing. ONLY because of the lost pressure.

The PVC pipe sounds great but...

1. Have you tried to build one yourself?

2. Have you personally used a PVC pump that WORKS? (Every one I have seen has some sort of design flaw. I Personally have never seen one the works as good as the pressureball)

3. How many other people are going to take the time to construct such a device (that works) and spend more on making it than getting a tried-and-true device?

4. You will look like a fool bringing a huge PVC pipe out into the tennis court! lol

Even though the website says 8 balls, I can actually squeeze 9 balls into the Pressureball...Plenty for a match. And it is super easy to use. It's Inexpensive. It WORKS. And doesn't look like a red-neck potato gun. :cool:

Wilson 1986 09-20-2011 08:00 AM

any chance of posting a link to the site?

Wilson 1986 09-20-2011 08:02 AM

sorry, just found it.
I'm not sure the claim, You will play better, more consistent tennis is true.
your technique will make you play better, not a new ball.

MixieP 09-20-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson 1986 (Post 6018044)
any chance of posting a link to the site?

just add dot com.

But does it really work?

SeasonedNovice 09-20-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixieP (Post 6018054)
just add dot com.

But does it really work?

YES! It does work. I charged up Completely Flat balls and they are bouncing just as high as brand new balls.

I just tried this thing again last night and it is AMAZING!

Merlin703 09-20-2011 08:57 AM

I ordered one, just to try it. I had those that you add pressure while closing it but it's heavy and because of the material used cracks easily.
I'm more interested on a device that can add/keep the ball pressure at higher quantities to be used with my ball machine. $200+ sounds kind of expensive for a simple piece of plastic made by the company (I can't remember the name).

People post here that you can make one of paint barrel (or similar) but I do find those posts useless when there is no link on "How To" actually do them. Maybe just a simple list of all the components needed with links would be really useful for most of us.

MixieP 09-20-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeasonedNovice (Post 6018088)
YES! It does work. I charged up Completely Flat balls and they are bouncing just as high as brand new balls.

I just tried this thing again last night and it is AMAZING!

Thanks. I guess it's worth a try. Yes, it is. I just ordered one. :)

Wilson 1986 09-20-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin703 (Post 6018190)
I ordered one, just to try it. I had those that you add pressure while closing it but it's heavy and because of the material used cracks easily.
I'm more interested on a device that can add/keep the ball pressure at higher quantities to be used with my ball machine. $200+ sounds kind of expensive for a simple piece of plastic made by the company (I can't remember the name).

People post here that you can make one of paint barrel (or similar) but I do find those posts useless when there is no link on "How To" actually do them. Maybe just a simple list of all the components needed with links would be really useful for most of us.

I heard that using a garden sprayer bottle can work just as well.
the ones that you have to pump pressure in to for things like weed killer and other such chemicals.
I have had a look in to it and only a few of them have a pressure gauge on them.
if you can find one with a big enough neck to fit the balls in and one that will take enough pressure, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Merlin703 09-20-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson 1986 (Post 6018331)
I heard that using a garden sprayer bottle can work just as well.
the ones that you have to pump pressure in to for things like weed killer and other such chemicals.
I have had a look in to it and only a few of them have a pressure gauge on them.
if you can find one with a big enough neck to fit the balls in and one that will take enough pressure, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Coo, if you are able to test it out and the results are possitive, it would be really helpful to post a link to the actual garden sprayer bottle unit. Also, any mods, if any are needed.

Wilson 1986 09-20-2011 11:05 AM

well, I do live in England so the exact same product may not be available to people in other countries.
they are all pretty much the same thing, the screw on lid also has the pump handle on it for pressuring up the container.
some have a pressure valve too but I have seen some without which wouldn't really do the job.
knowing the exact pressure is important.

I would like to add too that doing such things to bring old balls back to life is pretty much pointless if the felt is worn out or is wearing out.

tes 09-20-2011 11:14 AM

I use a salvaged 10 gallon paint pot to pressurize balls.
It holds two cases of balls.
works great.