Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Indoors or outdoors? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=398514)

kelkat 09-25-2011 04:28 AM

Indoors or outdoors?

In which environment do you play better? We have a 32 week indoor league here. And every spring I go outside and play throughout the summer. Then fall comes and I cant wait to go back inside. Outdoors, sometimes I seem to have trouble "feeling" my balance... like I am slightly unsteady. My serve isn't nearly as effective, and I feel like I just can't wail on the ball like I can indoors. I have a lot of topspin but I can control it better indoors (probably because I feel better balanced) But I love the fresh air (no wind, haha) and the sun (as long as I am not serving in it) I am sure I am not alone. I would imagine most people's game is better/more consistent indoors. But I could be wrong....

Rusty669 09-25-2011 05:28 AM

My game is definately more consistent indoors!why?Because here we play on clay outdoors and there are a lot of bad bounces due to the courts being slightly uneven and the lines being made of plastic or whatever, and when the ball bounces on the lines it either skids off fast or jumps up like on a heavy kick serve.
Indoors we play on carpet with little,tiny rubber balls on it, and the surface is so much more even and smooth.
I love playing on both, but nothing beats a nice summer's evening playing outdoors in the sunshine while all you hear is the racket hitting the ball!:)

kelkat 09-25-2011 05:36 AM

Yup, playing in the evening is much better.

tennis tom 09-25-2011 06:15 AM

That's a no-brainer, conditions wise, indoors, there's no sun or wind to contend with, maybe low ceilings taking away the defensive lob. How you feel emotionally about the two is a conditioned response.

esgee48 09-25-2011 08:20 AM

Outdoors because I can't get a bead on the ball in low indoor ambient lighting. Sunshine and contrast let me track the ball.

Devilito 09-25-2011 08:24 AM

if indoor tennis was free and plentiful and all the tournaments were indoor i'd never step foot on an outdoor court ever again :p

Ramon 09-25-2011 08:47 AM

I could always play better indoors, but that didn't matter because my opponent would also play better. The conditions are more consistent and the bounce is more true, so your timing is better. It ends up being a faster game for most people.

volleygirl 09-25-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilito (Post 6027671)
if indoor tennis was free and plentiful and all the tournaments were indoor i'd never step foot on an outdoor court ever again :p

Tennis is like football, its meant to be played outdoors and not under a roof.

Caesar 09-25-2011 03:03 PM

Proper tennis is played outside, during the day, on grass courts.

dizzlmcwizzl 09-26-2011 04:15 AM

Both have their place

I love the indoors for the consistency I can develop in my strokes. no wind, no sun ... awesome.

But nothing beats the atmosphere of playing outside, nearing dark when it is just a little cool. Especially if you play where you can can have a beer and wind down while watching the joggers run by. All while trying and convince your friends how good you used to (or could) be.

Caesar 09-26-2011 04:28 AM

I grew up on fast outdoor carpet courts in Australia. The first time I ever played indoors was when I went to the US. It was like a dream - the speed of the courts were like back home, but the bounce and the conditions were just so consistent, pleasant and predictable that my game went up to another level. I was beating players that I really had no right to, simply because I was used to much tougher conditions.

Despite that, it doesn't feel like real tennis indoors. If I wanted to be cooped up in a loud dome with squeaky floors I would have played basketball.

maggmaster 09-26-2011 04:43 AM

I belong to an indoor club and I love indoor tennis. But I grew up playing outdoors and love that too. I definitely play better tennis indoors.

ian2 09-26-2011 10:21 AM

Here at altitude, in Denver, there is another aspect to indoor play: the air pressure in the bubbles makes it more similar to playing at low altitude/sea level.

Taylor Dent played in Colorado State Open last week (he lost in the semis to the eventual champion Brian Battistone, who beat Jan-Michael Gambill in the final). Dent commented that to get the ball deep in the court he had to make an adjustment to aim at the service line... according to him, the ball would travel 8-12 feet further here than it would at sea level.

Caesar 09-26-2011 05:00 PM

Your indoor courts are pressurised???

Andreas1965 09-26-2011 05:06 PM

Indoor tennis suits my game way better than playing on these f-ing claycourts we have in Germany.
Indoors I'm less distracted by sun, wind, uneven surface. And it sounds better.
Main reason: faster courts.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.132367,-80.105613

corbind 09-26-2011 11:29 PM

Overall, I definitely prefer to play indoors because:
  • Conditions are constant (wind, light, noise, lack of court debris)
  • the backdrops behind the courts are dark-colored which makes seeing the ball significantly much easier
  • It seems the balls play faster
  • It feels to me I play better
  • It's less painful on the body (knees, ankles, feet) compared to outdoor hard courts

The only negatives that can detract from this is:
  • It costs a lot of money
  • You have to play at a certain time when scheduled

Caesar 09-27-2011 01:03 AM

Everyone plays better indoors. It's easier.

mmk 09-27-2011 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caesar (Post 6030325)
Your indoor courts are pressurised???

Any bubble is pressurized, or it collapses.

Caesar 09-27-2011 07:08 AM

So it's literally a bubble? Not a rigid structure?

NoQuarter 09-27-2011 07:12 AM

Serve better indoors, always....also prefer indoors if the temperature is going to be below 70 degrees (21 celcius) or if it is windy.