Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Best multivitamin (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=398963)

Power Player 09-29-2011 06:44 AM

The Best multivitamin

Many folks take the classic "one a day" type multis you buy at the grocer. I was that guy..well I have converted to Orange Triad, and I was wondering who else takes it.

I have immediately noticed a much more regulated digestive system. It is a multi, so it's tough to gauge too much, but I feel like this could make a huge difference for athletes since they provide so much more than a crappy one a day type.

Thoughts?

r2473 09-29-2011 07:26 AM

I think you should go with your gut.

Power Player 09-29-2011 07:31 AM

4/10 on the r2473 quip scale..I know you can bring more than that my man.

I was mainly interested in who uses what (or even thinks twice about this stuff), it does make a difference IMO.

r2473 09-29-2011 07:42 AM

Ya, ya.....

My wife used to work for Usana. It's like a cult. Set up an appointment to have them come to your house and tell you about them personally. Hell, you could even sell the stuff yourself.

http://shop.usana.com/shop/cart/Categories?parentCat=3

As you can see, official Multi of the WTA.

Power Player 09-29-2011 07:44 AM

You have never heard of Orange Triad? I thought you lifted dude.

Kevin T 09-29-2011 07:52 AM

I like the disclaimer from Controlled Labs:

For best results, Orange Triad™ should be used in combination with other Controlled Labs products, at least 1-2 gallons of water per day, a high protein/moderate carbohydrate diet.

So I hope you are drinking 1-2 gallons of water per day, PP. :) Their source of chondroitin is beef trachea, so hope you're cool with that. It also contains shellfish-derived ingredients-just FYI for potential allergies. I haven't seen much on Controlled Labs products on the US Pharmacopeia website. Orange Triad is listed on the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database website but it requires a subscription to access. I'm always suspicious of products actually containing what they say they contain, particularly from smaller companies.

r2473 09-29-2011 07:54 AM

I lift some weights, but I don't read any of the garbage surrounding the "sport".

Keep it simple.

StreetFighter 09-29-2011 08:00 AM

I have used Orange Triad, along with Usana Essentials, Anavite, Animal Pak, OptiMen, Activite, OrthoCore.
Optimen is not recommended, worst out of all of them.
Usana is not recommended, unless you can get it free or extremely cheap, but overall not a bad experience.
The rest helped with digestive system as you experienced equally well. If I was going by blind personal experience, I wouldnt be able to differentiate between them. (I could with OptiMen, it had a negative impact)

Ramon 09-29-2011 08:01 AM

I take Now Adam, and I used to take Optimum Opti-Men. Both of those are similar to Orange Triad but a little less expensive. Orange Triad has joint supplements which I'm already taking. Opti-Men has a bunch of ingredients that are gender and bodybuilding specific, but I'm skeptical that there's actually enough to do some good. Now Adam has gender specific health ingredients, and they list the amounts, which are significant enough to have benefits.

Power Player 09-29-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 6035459)
I like the disclaimer from Controlled Labs:

For best results, Orange Triad™ should be used in combination with other Controlled Labs products, at least 1-2 gallons of water per day, a high protein/moderate carbohydrate diet.

So I hope you are drinking 1-2 gallons of water per day, PP. :) Their source of chondroitin is beef trachea, so hope you're cool with that. It also contains shellfish-derived ingredients-just FYI for potential allergies. I haven't seen much on Controlled Labs products on the US Pharmacopeia website. Orange Triad is listed on the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database website but it requires a subscription to access. I'm always suspicious of products actually containing what they say they contain, particularly from smaller companies.

Yeah, you have to drink a lot of water..but as tennis players we should be doing that anyway. I am around a gallon a day, multis or not.

Controlled Labs has been a real solid supplement manufacturer for a while now.

It's easy to say that you take a basic multi and fish oil and thats it..but the harder you exercise and older you get, IMO the supplements should be revisited. tennis can be super physical, and you add in weightlifting and other exercise, and I don't see anything wrong with better vitamins and recovery aids.

I take the Triad, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, Fish Oil and Zyflamend for my wrist. Switched over to Cytomax as well and dumped the powerade.

The Triad has been extremely popular for 3 years now, so I am interested in how it works for me, and if anyone else takes it or something similar.

Yes I have heard to avoid Optimen as well.

SystemicAnomaly 09-29-2011 08:49 AM

I've not taken any uber multi-vitamin supplements in a quite a while (or even the cheaper 1-a-day). However, I might be tempted to try Orange Triad for a while (but I doubt that I would take 6/day; perhaps only 3-4/day). ADAM from Now (Foods) looks very impressive as well and is quite a cheaper. You might consider alternating the 2 products to save some coin.

Took a look at some reviews at various sites and the general consensus on both Orange Triad and ADAM was very positive. Many commented on the high price of the former. Some positive feedback on the joint support and the digestive support of Orange Triad. ADAM appears to have digestive enzymes as well (but does not have the joint complex).

Even with one of these products, I'd still be tempted to add some additional vitamin D. Might also consider a food carotene product if you believe that you are not getting enough from your fruit and vegetable intake. In addition to β-carotene, a food carotene product would also include α-carotene, possibly γ-carotene, and various oxygenated carotenoids (such as lutein, zeaxanthin, etc.).

You might also want to look for a vitamin E source that contains more than just α-Tocopherol. Some foods and supplements also contain a number of other vitamin E compounds -- a mix of various tocopherols and tocotrienols.

http://www.supplementreviews.com/for...p?topic=9002.0

http://www.supplementreviews.com/con...s/orange-triad

ollinger 09-29-2011 09:03 AM

Meaningful comparisons of multis are probably impossible, but if you're concerned about impurities and quality control, Centrum would be a great choice. A patient of mine is a quality control chemist at Wyeth, recently purchased by Pfizer, where it's made. He tells me what they go through to assure purity and quality there, and it's really impressive. They're constantly checking and rechecking absolutely everything. People like to rag on "Big Pharma" here but Big Pharma clearly has the money and resources to make a pure, high quality product.

mikeler 09-29-2011 09:05 AM

SA,

PP lives in sunny Florida so just curious why you recommend additional vitamin D with all the outdoor exposure that we get here?

r2473 09-29-2011 09:11 AM

I don't like the marketing for Centrum. Seems too much like a multi for the uninformed common man. And it doesn't cost enough.

My multi needs to be naturally harvested from the exotic plants of the remote region of some exotic region of the world. They also need to be Kosher.

EDIT: Well I'll be damned. I was just making that up.

http://www.koshervitamins.com/

Power Player 09-29-2011 09:12 AM

Nice SA, I am currently taking D3 as well.

The Adam looks real good..I will go through this bottle of Orange Triad and see how it goes. If I like it and can budget it, I will stay with it, if not I'll try the Adam.

I was taking Centrum beforehand. The complete version. It is not as loaded with vitamins obviously. Main thing I noticed was the digestive was not nearly like it is now.

r2, I don't know why you are being so snide about it. The "common man" does not exercise as much as us and exert themselves as much physically.

LuckyR 09-29-2011 09:13 AM

The "best" multi-vitamin by a truly objective measure (as opposed advertising BS) is the cheapest one you can find.

Power Player 09-29-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 6035608)
The "best" multi-vitamin by a truly objective measure (as opposed advertising BS) is the cheapest one you can find.

That's completely false and uninformed.

LuckyR 09-29-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6035611)
That's completely false and uninformed.

You are the reason that the advertising industry exists.

Power Player 09-29-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 6035616)
You are the reason that the advertising industry exists.

No you would be. And the reason for that is there are links posted in this thread that prove what I am saying, while you posted nothing.

You can make smart comments all day long and think you have it all figured out. Doesn't mean you know anything.

SystemicAnomaly 09-29-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6035586)
SA,

PP lives in sunny Florida so just curious why you recommend additional vitamin D with all the outdoor exposure that we get here?

Nobody in sunny Florida works indoors during the day?