Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   ALTA Fall Midpoint - How's your team doing? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=399510)

bcart1991 10-04-2011 07:30 AM

ALTA Fall Midpoint - How's your team doing?

About halfway through this Fall season, where do you stand?

I'm captaining our Men's A-3 team and we're sitting in 2nd place, 2 points behind the team we play this week and 2 points ahead of the team we beat head to head in the second week. Personally, 2-0 on the season. Time to show what we're made of...

chollyred 10-04-2011 10:02 AM

We suck. We're dead last. I'm playing as a sub this season due to kid's baseball so played my first match Saturday. I ended up in Line 2. I played the worst match of my life.

Weird match though. Played at a subdivision in Marietta where they have two courts that both slope toward the pool. If you hit the net on court 2, the ball would roll all the way through court 1 to the fence. When the home team cracked open their can of balls (I witnessed), the balls were heavy and dead. A shoulder drop might get a 1 foot bounce. We played them anyway.

I simply could not adjust. I was serving well, but waiting on shots that never got there, leaving me scrambling to reach short balls. High lobs had so little bounce there were no overheads. I was hitting everything into the tape or just barely out. My partner was also struggling. The home guys had an easy match.

I don't blame anyone but myself. We were all on the same court using the same balls. :oops:

Nice bunch of guys though. Instead of the usual sandwiches, etc. they grilled brats and burgers for everyone. Several varieties of beverages. Plenty of other goodies.

SweetH2O 10-04-2011 11:57 AM

17 team points, 2 points behind first place. 5 points ahead of third place. We need to keep a big cushion because the 1st place team is killing everyone and we play them the last week of the season.

4-0 personal record.

alb1 10-05-2011 05:29 PM

We have 13 pts. and are tied for 2nd. Personally 1-1 this season.

spot 10-06-2011 04:14 AM

We have 3 teams that pretty much practice and operate together. Our AA4 team has been just killing it this season. They have only lost 1 point this season and that was in a third set tiebreak.

Our A2 team is a brand new team and its been struggling. 6th place though they still have yet to face the weakest 2 teams in the division. Definitely have some work to do to upgrade this roster... there were 3 guys who joined the team with AA ratings and they have played a combined 1 time. Thats a killer.

Our A7 team is tied for third. We have lost 4 third set tiebreakers this season which has just been a killer. We look to be in strong position to take 3rd and in our flight the top 2 third place teams make playoffs but thats a tough way to get in.

SweetH2O 10-06-2011 04:26 AM

spot, it sounds like you guys need to stop agreeing to play 3rd set tiebreakers. I don't think I have ever played a match tiebreak in ALTA.

spot 10-06-2011 05:17 AM

It wasn't a match Tiebreak. 4 times this season we went to a third set which ended in a tiebreak where we lost. One match we had match point and our guy hit a winner but also hit the net with our racquet to give the other team the point. Its been really frustrating season.

SweetH2O 10-06-2011 07:41 AM

Ah, my bad. That's a crazy number of 7-6 third sets for you guys this season then.

AtomicForehand 10-06-2011 04:44 PM

We are doing pretty well. I am on both a Sunday and a Thursday team. The Sunday team is in 3rd place, but only 1 point behind the other two teams, which are tied for 1st place. My Thursday team is in 4th place, but again only a couple of points separate the top teams. These last two-three team matches of the season are gonna be really important!

The Sunday team got bumped up to B2 from B6 after winning the City Championship last season, so if we make it to playoffs again, I'll be really proud.

Dave_D 10-07-2011 06:56 AM

Playing on a B4 team this season. We're 5 points behind the leaders and 4 behind 2nd place sitting by ourselves in 3rd.

Personally I'm 1-1 on the season. I normally don't play doubles, and the two guys I played with this year I've never played with before.

topspinrj 10-09-2011 05:48 PM

1st season in the B's (B-8). 17 points, 4 points clear of 3rd place team. Trying to lock up playoff spot next week.

bcart1991 10-11-2011 04:12 AM

We took 5 from our first place team, and we're now in 1st with two weak teams left to play. THAT'S how you captain... ;) ;) ;)

Barring any disasters, we're looking good for the playoffs.

SweetH2O 10-11-2011 06:28 AM

We are still in 2nd place. We play the 3rd and 1st place teams the next two weeks, so it's crunch time.

I'm not sure if I'd rather us clinch a playoff spot this week and take some pressure off, or lose a few lines this week and create some drama for the final week. I always like elimination matches where every last point is golden and the spectators are really into it.

Conrads 10-11-2011 08:27 AM

i play A1 and our team has 24 out of 25 points now. lost 1 match in 3rd set tiebreak. We have had a few close 2 setters and some 3 setters but most of our matches have been blowouts.. (esp at lines 3-5). The 2nd place team has 14 points so we have already clinched the division.

owtdoorguy 10-11-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrads (Post 6056805)
i play A1 and our team has 24 out of 25 points now. lost 1 match in 3rd set tiebreak. We have had a few close 2 setters and some 3 setters but most of our matches have been blowouts.. (esp at lines 3-5). The 2nd place team has 14 points so we have already clinched the division.

Sounds like someone is bagging, and should be a AA... :)

Conrads 10-11-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owtdoorguy (Post 6057191)

i agree. team should be at least AA3. The team was AA4 last season and finished middle of the pack but added 3-4 very strong players..2 of which had not played Alta before.

owtdoorguy 10-11-2011 11:45 AM

Gotcha.
Sounds like you will be back at AA soon enough. Might as well win on the way.

chatt_town 10-17-2011 04:36 AM

We're at A1 and we're I think with in striking distance of second place, but I think there are 3 teams that are trying to get the second spot. I don't like our chances. We are too unorganized this season for some reason. The line up has been coming out on Friday and then Saturday when I get there I'm playing with some guy(not the one in the lineup on Friday) I've never met much less seen. I've won 4 of the 5 but that is a headache to deal with. I think Bitsy Grant has a kick @$$ team. I think they have like 29 points going into the final week. heard they had tryouts for their team. I'm personally 4 and 1 with 5 different partners and one win was a third set tiebreaker which was a very good win last saturday.

QUOTE=bcart1991;6044377]About halfway through this Fall season, where do you stand?

I'm captaining our Men's A-3 team and we're sitting in 2nd place, 2 points behind the team we play this week and 2 points ahead of the team we beat head to head in the second week. Personally, 2-0 on the season. Time to show what we're made of...[/quote]

bcart1991 10-17-2011 04:55 AM

We won our division this weekend. Second place team dropped all 5 to the 3rd place team (who we beat 4-1 two weeks ago). We're now 5 points up on the 2nd place team. So, this final match is meaningless.

THAT'S how you captain...

chatt_town 10-17-2011 05:00 AM

If it's the Bitsy team I heard we had like 3 3 setters with them and lost all 5. It's hard to tell some times. That is rough though losing all 5 lines to a team that has won all but one match out of 25 or 29.

Quote:

Originally Posted by owtdoorguy (Post 6057191)