Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Videos of me hitting around and some serves (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=401672)

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-25-2011 10:10 AM

Videos of me hitting around and some serves

In case you are wondering, I recently switched from my beloved PC600 to the BLX90. Which is why you see me with two different racquets. A very difficult switch because I've been with a Prestige for the last 10years or so. Similar specs, but I notice a big difference between swinging a Prestige and swinging a Pro Staff. Still getting used to it.

Light hitting...

Practicing some serves...

By the way, last time I posted a serving video, some people had a problem with me not going 100% while practicing serves. :confused: I have had 2 shoulder surgeries already. I'm not going to burn myself out just practicing. Even if I never had surgeries on the shoulder, if you know anything about the anatomy/structure of the shoulder, you would know how bad serving/pitching is on the joint. Which is why when I'm practicing serves and playing sets with friends, I don't serve excessively hard. I much rather work on my form, timing, spin, and placement.

If you still have a problem with me not going all-out while practicing serves, I have three suggestions for you:
1) Don't watch my serve video.
2) Take the stick out of your *****.
3) If you still have problem with me about the serves after #2, then use that stick and go F yourself.

To the rest of you fine folks, enjoy! :)

WildVolley 10-25-2011 11:48 AM

I have a problem with your serve. Do you want to fight?:twisted:

The only helpful advice I can give you is to have a bit more of a unit turn on your forehand - your shoulders are pretty much parallel with the net throughout most of the stroke. I think that with a little more shoulder turn and torso rotation you could develop more of a Federer-like forehand.

tennismonkey 10-25-2011 11:54 AM

looking at your groundies video - i like your smooth fluid strokes on both the forehand and backhand. forehand is jarring in that it looks like you're late but sure enough the ball flies off your racquet and with spin/pace.

seemed like forehands that pulled you wide you either didn't get there in time or you aren't comfortable with. looked like you didn't bother rushing over there to cover it or you have problems stretched wide.

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-25-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennismonkey (Post 6081509)
looking at your groundies video - i like your smooth fluid strokes on both the forehand and backhand. forehand is jarring in that it looks like you're late but sure enough the ball flies off your racquet and with spin/pace.

seemed like forehands that pulled you wide you either didn't get there in time or you aren't comfortable with. looked like you didn't bother rushing over there to cover it or you have problems stretched wide.

I do have a problem with forehands out wide. My forehand is my more dominant side, but it's also the side that breaks down more (maybe because it's more complicated?). It's all in my head, I keep thinking I'm going to hit out... On a full-stretch, I'm fine with it. But on the little dinky out wide shots, I tend to over-think.

I shall work on it.

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-25-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 6081493)
I have a problem with your serve. Do you want to fight?:twisted:

The only helpful advice I can give you is to have a bit more of a unit turn on your forehand - your shoulders are pretty much parallel with the net throughout most of the stroke. I think that with a little more shoulder turn and torso rotation you could develop more of a Federer-like forehand.

Thanks, will work on it.

Up&comer 10-25-2011 12:19 PM

You don't move explosively to the ball. You might have just been practicing, but it's something I always think you should try to do.

Other than that, you look like you might want to catch your forehand a little further out in front.

Good luck.

Limpinhitter 10-25-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 6081322)
In case you are wondering, I recently switched from my beloved PC600 to the BLX90. Which is why you see me with two different racquets. A very difficult switch because I've been with a Prestige for the last 10years or so. Similar specs, but I notice a big difference between swinging a Prestige and swinging a Pro Staff. Still getting used to it.

Light hitting...

By the way, last time I posted a serving video, some people had a problem with me not going 100% while practicing serves. :confused: I have had 2 shoulder surgeries already. I'm not going to burn myself out just practicing. Even if I never had surgeries on the shoulder, if you know anything about the anatomy/structure of the shoulder, you would know how bad serving/pitching is on the joint. Which is why when I'm practicing serves and playing sets with friends, I don't serve excessively hard. I much rather work on my form, timing, spin, and placement.

If you still have a problem with me not going all-out while practicing serves, I have three suggestions for you:
3) If you still have problem with me about the serves after #2, then use that stick and go F yourself.

It seems that instructions #2 and #3 are conflicting. I suggest you make up your mind and pick one.

dozu 10-25-2011 01:19 PM

for 30 degrees of shoulder turn, the FH is as good as it gets... pros have 180 degrees.

Povl Carstensen 10-25-2011 01:31 PM

Sorry but the links are just a still picture on my computer?

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-25-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Povl Carstensen (Post 6081674)
Sorry but the links are just a still picture on my computer?

Click on them and they become moving pictures.

5263 10-25-2011 01:43 PM

much of the serve is looking pretty good, but you hit after the apex of your extension. I call it collapsing into the serve when see this, as you have reached the apex then hit the ball as you collapse down off the top.

IMO you should make contact right before or at the apex of the serve.

pushing_wins 10-25-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Light hitting...

do you have a tendency to choke?

rdis10093 10-25-2011 02:08 PM

nice looking backhand

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-25-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushing_wins (Post 6081741)
do you have a tendency to choke?

I think I do. Sometimes I wish I can play without a conscious and just bash balls to no end.

BaboFan 10-25-2011 02:32 PM

About choking, it could be because you don't drop your racket enough and you don't take it back early enough BC it looks like you're hitting desperately.
Nice backhand. But try using your body over your arm.

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-25-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaboFan (Post 6081794)
About choking, it could be because you don't drop your racket enough and you don't take it back early enough BC it looks like you're hitting desperately.
Nice backhand. But try using your body over your arm.

That's very true of my forehand. I've been in a forehand slump lately. For some reason, I've been hitting with an open stance in the last few weeks. I'm being VERY lazy with my forehand (maybe because I think I can get away with it). Maybe it's the lack of concentration. But I must remind myself to get the racquet back early, point my left shoulder towards the net, and go back to the close stance. Basically do what I do on my backhand.

Open stance has its merits, but I like close stance more.

MarinaHighTennis 10-25-2011 03:31 PM

Tell yourself "happy feet" and "shoulder to shoulder"

vincent_tennis 10-25-2011 03:51 PM

chee seeeennnnnnnnnn

Timbo's hopeless slice 10-25-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Oh, I LIKE him!

Spin Doctor 10-25-2011 09:43 PM

1. I like your backhand.

2. You have VERY late preparation on your forehand (not so much on the backhand) probably due in part to the fact that you are holding the racket slightly to the left of your body in the "ready" position. You should probably hold the racket in a more central position when you are waiting. Right when the ball is off your opponent's racket you should split step and bam! your racket should be behind your ears. Right now your racket is only back on the first bounce! Way way too late.

3. You look like you are only using your arms. Try to get your body moving INTO the shot to generate power. Some of the shots you almost look like you are leaning back. You look pretty athetic so I think when you get your body involved you will be generating quite a bit more power.

4. Didn't watch your serve video so no comment.

5. Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm a weekend hack like almost everyone else around here.