Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Northeast Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=404060)

BigEastStorm 11-21-2011 10:33 AM

Northeast Tennis

I know it doesn't have the highest ranked team but it's a very competitive region. Here's a breakdown of some of the favorites of the region, all who will also compete at the ECACs.

St Johns:
Returns 5 starters, and only lost their number 6 player who they replaced with Texas transfer Vasko Mladenov. Arguably have the best 1-5 in the region as of right now. They also have Ilija Vucic coming in January who was ranked as high as 30 in ITF juniors. Look to be the favorite this year.

Princeton:
Another team that returns 5 starters. They arguably have the best doubles in the region with the only other competition being Harvard. Solid number 1 in Pecotic. The team however will go however their 2-4 play. Their bottom is weak compared to some other years.

Harvard:
Return about 4 starters I believe. Have the higest ranked player in the region with John Pearlman even though he is very overrated as shown at regionals. One of the best doubles in the region with Princeton. Solid lineup from top to bottom. Denis Ngyuen will be asked to win alot of matches at the 3/4 position.

Those are the three favorites this year. These are some of the dark horses.

Yale:
If the top 3 come to play they could challenge most of the upper teams. However it always seems they aren't always on the same page. Not a very good bottom of the lineup but they do have solid doubles.

Brown:
Another solid team with Brandon Burke at the top spot. Have some good players however they always seem to be out of it and never play to potential.

Cornell:
Rebuilding year to be honest. However they can compete with some teams but mostly are looking forward to future years.

Columbia:
Interesting team. Haig Schniderman(SP) had the biggest win of his life at Indoors over Chase B. Solid freshmen who will be hungry. Could be a surprise this year.

DCaicedo 11-27-2011 06:01 PM

Johnnies in 5

BigEastStorm 12-12-2011 07:13 AM

whee are the northeast tennis people

BigEastStorm 01-03-2012 10:22 AM

Northeast Regional rankings are out

http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRa...Jan-3-2012.htm

tennisjon 01-04-2012 05:57 AM

Quite frankly, I don't put too much stock in rankings. My team beat two teams that are ranked in the region over the past season and didn't get ranked. My first doubles team beat 3 of the teams ranked in the section and didn't get ranked. There is a bias when it comes to rankings. There is no straight formula. It is based on the coaches who do the polls and what schools that their teams play. Prior seasons of rankings help, meaning the name of your school.

andfor 01-04-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisjon (Post 6207622)
Quite frankly, I don't put too much stock in rankings. My team beat two teams that are ranked in the region over the past season and didn't get ranked. My first doubles team beat 3 of the teams ranked in the section and didn't get ranked. There is a bias when it comes to rankings. There is no straight formula. It is based on the coaches who do the polls and what schools that their teams play. Prior seasons of rankings help, meaning the name of your school.

Are rankings not important for at-large berths to the NCAA's?

tennisjon 01-04-2012 09:48 AM

They are, but at the D3 level, there are so few at-large bids. We make nationals because we win our conference. In the past, before the AQ, even when we had a high regional ranking, we were never looked at because of our prior relatively weak conference. It didn't matter that we only lost to Amherst 4-3. Schools in the NESCAC are traditionally very strong, but we beat one of them last year and they still are ranked ahead of us. NESCAC schools have limited dates of competition and most of their losses are to other NESCAC or other traditionally high ranked schools, therefore, none of those losses really ever count against themselves and it was nearly impossible in the east to get a breakthrough in the rankings over those teams. Now, with the AQ, there are less at-large bids, which means a deserving school from that conference won't get in over a conference champion from a weaker conference. However, at the same time it gives so many more schools the opportunity to compete at the national level.

BigEastStorm 01-10-2012 06:17 PM

St. Johns should be favored to win the ECACs in February after signing Ilija Vucic, high of 30 ITF

DCaicedo 01-16-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEastStorm (Post 6221393)
St. Johns should be favored to win the ECACs in February after signing Ilija Vucic, high of 30 ITF

Good stuff. Have to catch them play this season.
This kid Mladenov (sp?)... prospect?

TennisMaverick 01-16-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEastStorm (Post 6221393)

Did they get their courts back?

BigEastStorm 01-23-2012 05:20 PM

They practice and play all their matches at the USTA Center

TennisMaverick 01-23-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEastStorm (Post 6260293)
They practice and play all their matches at the USTA Center

So the courts on-campus were destroyed or built over?

BigEastStorm 01-23-2012 06:46 PM

They still have their 5 courts on campus, women's team plays/practices there

DCaicedo 01-25-2012 07:06 AM

^^ really? wow- haven't been by there in a while.

BigEastStorm 01-29-2012 09:49 AM

Cornell played Notre Dame very tough

BigEastStorm 01-31-2012 02:06 PM

St Johns opens up Friday against Concordia and Queens College

DCaicedo 02-03-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEastStorm (Post 6297045)
St Johns opens up Friday against Concordia and Queens College

How'd they do? Lampa?

BigEastStorm 02-03-2012 01:59 PM

Beat Queens College 6-1, Comcordia 5-2

BigEastStorm 02-04-2012 07:21 AM

Harvard beats Vanderbilt 4-3

Clemson_tennis 02-04-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEastStorm (Post 6305143)
Harvard beats Vanderbilt 4-3

wow big win