Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Nadal wasn't at his best (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=404251)

roysid 11-23-2011 06:52 AM

Nadal wasn't at his best

Though I am very happy with the result, I must say Nadal looked sluggish to me.
He was much more competitive in 2006, 2007 and last year (though tired).

zagor 11-23-2011 06:53 AM

Did Nadal ever lose a match at his best? No? Then obviously the mere fact that he lost already tells us all we need to know.

BrooklynNY 11-23-2011 06:57 AM

I don't think anyone in the top 3 has lost a match when 100%

Fed's back hurt against berdych, He mentioned the other day how he hurt his wrist against Tsonga before the Djokovic semi.

We already know Nadal's story.

All of these players are unbeatable in top form. :D

monfed 11-23-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zagor (Post 6134043)
Did Nadal ever lose a match at his best? No? Then obviously the mere fact that he lost already tells us all we need to know.

:lol:

10excuses

aphex 11-23-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roysid (Post 6134036)

I agree-Nadal is undefeated when he wins.

nereis 11-23-2011 07:02 AM

Nadal lost because Federer was able to do what Nadal does to him on clay, break down the backhand. Or didn't anyone notice that instead of swinging away at backhands crosscourt he was rolling them deep or slicing to the Nadal backhand?

monfed 11-23-2011 07:02 AM

And Nadal fans whine about Djokovic's injuries. :lol:

namelessone 11-23-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roysid (Post 6134036)

Hardly news, hardly Fed's problem.

Nadal once again looking very subpar in WTF a la 2009.

ImAGrinch 11-23-2011 07:19 AM

Surely Nadal did not play as well as he has in the past or will in the future. But that's just part of the game. If Nadal was able to play at 100% of his ability every time he stepped foot on a court, then maybe he'd be the GOAT one day. But the truth is nobody can sustain that level of play because it takes its tool on a player.

Fed's consistency over the years in staying injury free and playing at a top level most of the time has far outpaced Nadal, which is why Fed's stats are so incredible. Too many people have short memories and think one match tells you how the player is going to play in every tournament thereafter. This is a good victory for Fed, but it doesn't mean Nadal won't bounce back at the AO better than we've ever seen.

rafan 11-23-2011 07:22 AM

Tipsaravich could have beaten Nadal last night judging by the way he is playing at the moment. I am not saying Fed did not play really well but Rafa just wasn't there at all

TennisLovaLova 11-23-2011 07:43 AM

Nadal wasn't at his best.
ATP decided to give RF only half the points of yesterday's match

cknobman 11-23-2011 07:51 AM

Im sorry but did everyone posting here actually watch the final last night?

Yes Nadal was not at his best.

Federer was playing 100% GOAT mode last night. Everything was on: forehand, backhand, serve, on the run, slice, etc..... Fed was just in the zone.

Look at the match stats, winner to UE ratio for Fed was unreal. Nadals post match comments even concur that Fed was just playing too good. Nadal tried to be more aggressive but it just led to more UE on his part.

corners 11-23-2011 08:30 AM

I'm a *******, but it was clear that Roger was playing very well and Rafa was not. Personally, I think something is wrong with Rafa. Could be his knees, his feet, his head or his heart. But I sense he's at some kind of turning point we'll find out about later.

It was fun to watch Fed dominate his old rival, but also kind of sad. I suppose some Rafa fans felt the same way after 08 French final.

DRII 11-23-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 6134237)
I'm a *******, but it was clear that Roger was playing very well and Rafa was not. Personally, I think something is wrong with Rafa. Could be his knees, his feet, his head or his heart. But I sense he's at some kind of turning point we'll find out about later.

It was fun to watch Fed dominate his old rival, but also kind of sad. I suppose some Rafa fans felt the same way after 08 French final.

Thank you for your honesty!

Some others could learn from your example...

namelessone 11-23-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafan (Post 6134102)
Tipsaravich could have beaten Nadal last night judging by the way he is playing at the moment. I am not saying Fed did not play really well but Rafa just wasn't there at all

The sad part is, after watching bits and pieces from all the matches so far, the weakest guys so far seem to be Rafa and Fish.

Sentinel 11-23-2011 08:48 AM

If Federer beats anyone, that person clearly is not at his best. Also, shows what a weak era this is if the world #4 is bageling the #2.

Clarky21 11-23-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6134290)
If Federer beats anyone, that person clearly is not at his best. Also, shows what a weak era this is if the world #4 is bageling the #2.

Dramatic much? Nobody is saying that,but the fact is Nadal looked like a shell of himself out there. How in the world some of you *******s can sit there and act like Nadal played his best and Fed was just too good is nothing but bs.

sunny_cali 11-23-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6134290)

Absolutely agree. The logic is infallible -- tennis was at its zenith when Hewitt and Agassi were cleaning up Fed from 2000-2003, then from 2004-2007 it reached its nadir.

And Nadal is not even close to his best even when he is winning 3 Slams a year. We'll know Nadal is at his best when he bagels and breadsticks everyone, every single match and finishes the calendar year 100-0, no ?

sunny_cali 11-23-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6134300)
Dramatic much? Nobody is saying that,but the fact is Nadal looked like a shell of himself out there. How in the world some of you *******s can sit there and act like Nadal played his best and Fed was just too good is nothing but bs.

So, which ******* claimed that Nadal was at his best ?

On an unrelated topic, do you think Fed was at his best during AO09/Wimb 08 ?

cc0509 11-23-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6134300)

But the same can be said for Federer's loss to Nadal at W 2008 and the AO 2009 where Federer clearly was not the player he was in his prime between 2004-2007. That is how it goes in tennis, but a win is still a win no matter what and Federer got the win over Nadal last night just as Nadal did over Federer in the two tournaments I mentioned above.