Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I want to freakin see more doubles!!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=404550)

AtomicForehand 11-26-2011 09:34 AM

I want to freakin see more doubles!!!
 
Why am I forced to watch the year-end doubles finals on an illegal stream??? Does no mainstream media outlet REALLY consider this worth broadcasting?

Mike Sams 11-26-2011 09:41 AM

who the hell cares about doubles? Unless it's Federer and Nadal vs Murray and Djokovic...who cares? It's rubbish!!

AM95 11-26-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 6141761)
who the hell cares about doubles? Unless it's Federer and Nadal vs Murray and Djokovic...who cares? It's rubbish!!

its not rubbish. but its not really entertaining.

kishnabe 11-26-2011 09:52 AM

This year WTF doubles is way more entertaining than the singles!

Homeboy Hotel 11-26-2011 09:52 AM

I think doubles is severely underrated, good fun to watch. Tiebreaks always the best.

Please disregard the doubles cos they can't really connect to the players like we so easily can with the singles players. If more tournaments were main streamed with singles and doubles together then there would be more of a market for doubles.

But I know Sky Sports in the UK is broadcasting all the the doubles matches?

tacou 11-26-2011 11:09 AM

doubles is fun but in my opinion there's no real "character" to a doubles team. The key is big serve, finish at net, for every team. Good entertainment but nothing to "connect to" as previous poster mentioned

Love Game 11-26-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 6141785)
This year WTF doubles is way more entertaining than the singles!

this!!!

Love Game 11-26-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacou (Post 6141915)
doubles is fun but in my opinion there's no real "character" to a doubles team. The key is big serve, finish at net, for every team. Good entertainment but nothing to "connect to" as previous poster mentioned

i'm guessing you didnt see the bhupathi/paes vs. frystenburg/matkowski match just finished. Polish Power was more like what you describe and they did end up winning by one LESS point than their opponents ... but the net play and doubles guile were on full display by Indian Express ... I'd love to find out the net points won by paes alone! :cool:

Xizel 11-26-2011 11:29 AM

Unless you're awfully good at doubles IRL, I'd find doubles less stellar than singles. If you especially suck at net like me, more power to singles.

TTMR 11-26-2011 11:41 AM

Not to be 'that guy', but, be grateful you don't have to use illegal streams as your only medium for watching tennis, like some of us. Though your complaint isn't as bad as one guy here on TW who wouldn't watch tennis unless it was in HD.

And though I can only watch on constantly skipping illegal streams, it is still better than 10 years ago when one could only see grand slam tennis, and only then if it was not pre-empted by wrestling, NASCAR, curling or darts.

Love Game 11-26-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTMR (Post 6141953)
Not to be 'that guy', but, be grateful you don't have to use illegal streams as your only medium for watching tennis, like some of us. Though your complaint isn't as bad as one guy here on TW who wouldn't watch tennis unless it was in HD.

And though I can only watch on constantly skipping illegal streams, it is still better than 10 years ago when one could only see grand slam tennis, and only then if it was not pre-empted by wrestling, NASCAR, curling or darts.

i feel your pain :)

not all the streams are illegal, tho ... for instance, the LSH is associated with a sports gambling site online, and i wouldnt be surprised if those betting sites have contracts with the broadcasters ... tho you usually have to join ... unfortunately, americans are mostly blocked from joining (at least, i've never been "allowed" by the site to register.

also there's the fact that the ATP is extremely proprietary, and when they don't broadcast the doubles matches (which is most of the time), then nobody else does ... at least that I know of

luckily, for the WTF, tennistv.com offers subscription by day and/or tournament ... it seems reasonable and is high quality, tho not perfect ... and the price seems reasonable ...

grand slams are not atp products, and some of them offer doubles matches along with the singles ... but access depends on territory :(

vegasgt3 11-29-2011 06:25 AM

Tennis Channel carried all the doubles! It was great, Thanks

namelessone 11-29-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AM95 (Post 6141772)
its not rubbish. but its not really entertaining.

Bingo.

End of thread.

Doubles is way more fun to play than to watch.

jones101 11-29-2011 11:59 AM

Women's doubles can be fun to watch sometimes.

But I'd (at the very least), like to see tour doubles finals on TV (both tours), or at least stream them free to the fans.

Netzroller 12-04-2011 05:28 AM

I have huge respect for doubles players but I don't find it interesting to watch.
Given the lower prize money and the lack of broadcasting, many people seem to think the same.

AtomicForehand 12-04-2011 08:10 AM

I have a hard time understanding how people can say they don't find doubles interesting to watch.

There is just so much more going on than with a singles match. It's infinitely more complicated and much faster-paced. With singles, the strategies are simpler, and they unspool more slowly.

You might prefer watching singles, or playing it, but doubles being "not interesting to watch" is difficult for me to see.

nikdom 12-04-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namelessone (Post 6148428)
Bingo.

End of thread.

Doubles is way more fun to play than to watch.

Couldn't agree more.

The points are short; serve and net play are more important than groundstrokes. Allows folks who may not be in the greatest of shape to still enjoy the game, keep their net skills sharp, but its no where as enjoyable to watch as a one on one matchup.

There is really no point construction in doubles. Its more about playing patterns - keep the ball crosscourt on groundies (away from the guy at the net), serve big and poach, volley /hit the ball between the two players and choke off angles.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse