Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New question about federer's racket?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=404755)

fedhead83829 11-28-2011 08:05 AM

New question about federer's racket??

I have watched countless videos of fed playing and practicing, because mainly i am obsessed, and ive recently noticed since he has been using the "BLX paint job" racket (whether it is or it isnt the real blx doesnt really matter to me), I have NEVER seen him hit a shot where the black side wasnt on top and the red wasnt on the bottom.. even after spinning the racket, during a point, etc.. always goes back to black on top and red on bottom.. So, I have been going crazy trying to find the reasoning behind this.. I have search this site and others to try and find a reason for this because I really am a beginner when it comes to custom equipment, equipment maintenance and the "inside" world of pro tennis.. My thought so far; I realize that there must be a custom grip or some kind of rib to help him find it but thats not exactly my question.. My question is more why? My ideas on this has run from maybe a different kind of stringing job my help on one side or another since he will always hit his forehands and serves on the same side and backhands on the opposite.. Or, maybe his has it weighted one side and not the other? like at 3 oclock and NOT 9 oclock so it would change the weighting if he were to hit with the opposite side (that 3oclock/9oclock is for an example to explain because i really dont know and i am extremely curious). I am growing more and more curious by every post I read about the different methods and tricks people/pros use to help improve their tennis game. Any comments or an answer would greatly help my sanity. Thanks!

anhuynh16 11-28-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedhead83829 (Post 6146279)
I have watched countless videos of fed playing and practicing, because mainly i am obsessed, and ive recently noticed since he has been using the "BLX paint job" racket (whether it is or it isnt the real blx doesnt really matter to me), I have NEVER seen him hit a shot where the black side wasnt on top and the red wasnt on the bottom.. even after spinning the racket, during a point, etc.. always goes back to black on top and red on bottom.. So, I have been going crazy trying to find the reasoning behind this.. I have search this site and others to try and find a reason for this because I really am a beginner when it comes to custom equipment, equipment maintenance and the "inside" world of pro tennis.. My thought so far; I realize that there must be a custom grip or some kind of rib to help him find it but thats not exactly my question.. My question is more why? My ideas on this has run from maybe a different kind of stringing job my help on one side or another since he will always hit his forehands and serves on the same side and backhands on the opposite.. Or, maybe his has it weighted one side and not the other? like at 3 oclock and NOT 9 oclock so it would change the weighting if he were to hit with the opposite side (that 3oclock/9oclock is for an example to explain because i really dont know and i am extremely curious). I am growing more and more curious by every post I read about the different methods and tricks people/pros use to help improve their tennis game. Any comments or an answer would greatly help my sanity. Thanks!

Because the black side looks alot better.

corners 11-28-2011 08:22 AM

I hope I understand your question. But almost all good players grip the handle so that one side is the "forehand" side and the other the "backhand" side. It has to do with the shape of the buttcap, the way the grip is wrapped, and how it fits into the hand. So Federer always hits his forehand with the same side of the buttcap in his palm and so always hits his forehand with the same side of the racquet face. He hits his backhand with the other side.

Even Justine Henin, who had semi-western grips on both forehand and backhand (pretty much the same grip for both, try it) switched side from forehand to backhand, probably for the same reason: the shape of the buttcap.

fedhead83829 11-28-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 6146307)
I hope I understand your question. But almost all good players grip the handle so that one side is the "forehand" side and the other the "backhand" side. It has to do with the shape of the buttcap, the way the grip is wrapped, and how it fits into the hand. So Federer always hits his forehand with the same side of the buttcap in his palm and so always hits his forehand with the same side of the racquet face. He hits his backhand with the other side.

Even Justine Henin, who had semi-western grips on both forehand and backhand (pretty much the same grip for both, try it) switched side from forehand to backhand, probably for the same reason: the shape of the buttcap.

ok. I had seen fish when playing the other day had the black up but later in the match had the red up so i thought there was maybe something different w feds.. but then i wasnt sure because federer seems to hit with a lot of different grips from all sides so was wondering if there was anything too extreme going on with the grip

wings56 11-28-2011 08:48 PM

many of those guys have custom handles. made specifically to the contours of the players hand. and generally it feels better gripping that handle a certain way. i find myself doing the same and i dont even have a custom handle.

Darko 11-29-2011 12:21 AM

I guess its just OCD, but I like the Head Logo at the bottom of the handle to point right. I spin my racquet as well, and I always make sure it lands the same way.

henryshli 11-29-2011 12:37 AM

Sorry it must have just been luck. I'm sure ill be able to find a picture of him hitting with red up.

DNShade 11-29-2011 01:41 AM

No - it's not luck. Most high level players just develop a feel for the handle and the way they like to hold the stick facing the same direction every time. Some have custom handles - but most don't really have anything other than a custom size - some will have molded handle to favor one side - but most are just regular handles in custom sizes.

It's probably superstition as well - but the handle, buttcap and the way the grip is wrapped does feel different holding it one way or the other. And once you have been doing it a while you can spin the racket in between shots and still catch it in the same spot every time. I do this all the time. Just becomes habit.

This is what Fed is doing - he just likes to hold his stick they same way on the forehand every time - ditto on the backhand. Been doing if forever - just becomes more apparent with a PJ that's not symmetrical like the BLX. In this case with the black side up. P1 makes sure his grips are wrapped the same way on each one so they feel exactly the same and that the same side is "up".

Some players don't care - Fish being one of them if I'm not mistaken - but I'd say most tend to hold the racket the same way all the time.

kimbahpnam 11-29-2011 02:15 AM

who knows on which bevel fed starts his leather and overgrip?

SirGounder 11-29-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 6146307)

This is very true, though I believe it applies to recreational players as well. Due to the way I wrap my grip, I can tell which side of the racquet I am hitting with. I'm definitely not as consistent as Fed or other pros, and don't hit with the same side on a forehand. I just notice a difference in the feel of the grip.

robbo1970 11-29-2011 04:02 AM

I agree with the answers here.

I would certainly guess its to do with the way it is gripped and feels in the palm of his hand, which would then open the question as to why it is gripped that way with all racquets with the black edging facing upwards?

Personally, I put matt black tape around the edge of my racquet head, to protect from scratches but also so that when I catch sight of my racquet out the corner of my eye I dont get any glare from it, so it could be for similar optical reasons. Looking down at matt black is calmer than looking at red.

I do have a slight OCD as well though, in that I always have the Prince writing facing up on the throat of my racquet and the knot on my rubber band dampener on my backhand.

fedhead83829 11-29-2011 06:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback everybody! I agree that the grip is customized a certain way that causes him to hit with the same side.. my next question would be, if it is beneficial in any other way besides the grip(or the way he holds the racket)? For example, like weighting it differently on the top or bottom(if racket was held out like at impact)? I am a golf professional and know that the effects of lead tape or weight at certain points on the club head, shaft, etc. can alter your ball flight quite a bit.. I read a post on lead taping and it was very informative but it talked about putting it on both sides.. I am wondering what the result would be and if Federer just likes his handle or if there is another reason? Thanks!

benjamins_80 11-29-2011 08:32 AM

I like to think that Federer has superstitions like I do. I play with Tecnifibre and always have the samurai facing my opponent.

henryshli 11-29-2011 10:11 AM

At least now we know why he shanks so many balls.

rfedererfan 11-29-2011 10:18 AM

xaxaxa because he doesn't have enough time to put it on the right side ?? LOL :D

mr_eko 11-29-2011 11:44 AM

I have a retail blx 95 team and you can tell I only hit shots with one side of the grip because at the top of the head of one side of the racquet where I do slices and the racquet hits the ground sometimes, that side of the racquet is scruffed up, but the other side is like brand new. It's funny.

For me, I always grip the racquet on the same side.

VGP 11-29-2011 11:53 AM

Not a new question. Federer's been doing it that way as long as I can remember.

It's just more noticable now with the asymmetric BLX cosmetics.

If you go back through his pics, 99.99% of the time the "backward, curved side down" Wilson stencil on his strings face-on on the forehand side.

It's industry standard to stencil the frame to match the direction of the logo on the buttcap.

I'd bet he even had P1 install his buttcaps upside down so that his signature was "up" on his k90 frames.

Alzer 11-29-2011 12:58 PM

before I knew any pro's did this, I've always favoured a side... in tennis, squash, badminton etc... Just do, I decide which side I want to have 'up' and then wrap my grip accordingly. I do notice other players do it, and notice the ones that dont - and that weirds me out :)

Laver777 01-01-2012 10:13 PM

i thought all players did this? the racquet grip over time molds to the shape of how you grip the racquet... i allways hold it the same way because if i hold it the other way it feels wierd because the handle has molded, changed shape to fit how i hold the racquet....

roundiesee 01-01-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGP (Post 6148890)
Not a new question. Federer's been doing it that way as long as I can remember.

It's just more noticable now with the asymmetric BLX cosmetics.

If you go back through his pics, 99.99% of the time the "backward, curved side down" Wilson stencil on his strings face-on on the forehand side.

It's industry standard to stencil the frame to match the direction of the logo on the buttcap.

I'd bet he even had P1 install his buttcaps upside down so that his signature

was "up" on his k90 frames.

Great pics, especially of Federer's forehand. It's odd because I held my k90 the same way as that picture, and Federer's signature was facing up. The same with the KPS 88. Pete's signature was also facing up.