Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Davis Cup Final 2011 - This Weekend in Seville (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=404842)

Love Game 11-28-2011 11:43 PM

Davis Cup Final 2011 - This Weekend in Seville

Tammo 11-29-2011 06:02 AM

This will be very ineresting with Nadal not having a good WTF and Monaco playing very well. I say this goes to the fifth rubber, and can go either way.

Mustard 11-29-2011 06:13 AM

Nadal has lost just one best-of-5 sets match on clay in his life.

I'd say either 3-2 or 4-1 Spain. I'll go for 4-1 Spain.

Telepatic 11-29-2011 06:23 AM

Spain wins 4-1

iriraz 11-29-2011 06:38 AM

Both Nadal and Ferrer have lost 0 matches combined on clay in the Davis Cup throughout their careers which says it all.Tough to bet on the road team,regardless who it is.

Clarky21 11-29-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6148400)
Nadal has lost just one best-of-5 sets match on clay in his life.

I'd say either 3-2 or 4-1 Spain. I'll go for 4-1 Spain.

But that was in the past. Can you honestly say that Nadal is the same player now that he was then?

Mustard 11-29-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6148474)
But that was in the past. Can you honestly say that Nadal is the same player now that he was then?

Nadal has lost one best-of-5 sets match on clay in his life, and that was one of the biggest upsets in tennis history (Soderling at the 2009 French Open). Nadal has won every other best-of-5 sets clay-court match he's ever played, no matter what his form elsewhere. In 2009, he was in awful form at the WTF, yet beat Berdych in straight sets in the Davis Cup final on clay as Spain cruised to a 5-0 win.

Clarky21 11-29-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6148493)
Nadal has lost one best-of-5 sets match on clay in his life, and that was one of the biggest upsets in tennis history (Soderling at the 2009 French Open). Nadal has won every other best-of-5 sets clay-court match he's ever played, no matter what his form elsewhere. In 2009, he was in awful form at the WTF, yet beat Berdych in straight sets in the Davis Cup final on clay as Spain cruised to a 5-0 win.

I think he's in even worse shape now than in 2009. I am not convinced he is going to do well this weekend no matter how many 5 set clay matches he has lost. He's just such a mess right now,and that coupled with the match-up issue between he and Delpo,I think he might just be due for his second 5 set loss on clay.

dudeski 11-29-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6148493)

Of course Nadal will win easily, just like he did in the DC semifinal even though he must have been totally exhausted and mentally broken from the crazy USO final. I know it, you know it, and anyone with any sort of tennis knowledge knows it. But then we have Clarky21...

Murrayfan31 11-29-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6148506)
I think he's in even worse shape now than in 2009. I am not convinced he is going to do well this weekend no matter how many 5 set clay matches he has lost. He's just such a mess right now,and that coupled with the match-up issue between he and Delpo,I think he might just be due for his second 5 set loss on clay.

Agreed. Also it is indoors. lol Rafa hates indoors. It's complicated as Toni says.

Kaz00 11-29-2011 10:11 AM

Clay has magical healing abilities. Nadal is a warrior and the Clay is a cleric works perfect.

ruerooo 11-29-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriraz (Post 6148465)
Both Nadal and Ferrer have lost 0 matches combined on clay in the Davis Cup throughout their careers which says it all.Tough to bet on the road team,regardless who it is.

I don't know if it says everything.

Lead Spanish singles players Rafa and Ferru are tired; neither D-Nal or JMDP has to deal with WTFatigue.

Also, I'll bet the Argentinians are still smarting from being beaten at home by the Spaniards in 2008 CD final. So we will have to see.

I don't even know which way to bet (though I hope the Spaniards don't get beat at home, and I know Alberto Costa thinks the same -- he was exhorting the home crowd in interviews to come out and support. Wish I was there).

TMF 11-29-2011 10:48 AM

Spain will win b/c they have the home court advantage.

I'm rooting for Argentina b/c last time the Spaniards played against the USA, they complain about the surface and demand for a change. They only think for themselves.

batz 11-29-2011 11:25 AM

Viva Espana!

Mike Sams 11-29-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6148506)

He was also a mess in early 2010 until Monte came along. Then he was magically healed. Expect the same when he gets to his beloved clay.:)
He took care of Tsonga/Gasquet easily in the last DC matches, hardly breaking a sweat.
And furthermore, Spain rules clay. Argentina has no in-form players. I'm not counting Monaco because he has no weapons and is no threat on the grand stage. See what Federer did to Mr.In-Form Monaco at the USO? That was an embarrasment. Del Potro has no form coming in, he's done little to prepare. Nalbandian is a farce now who isn't big-match tough at all and no physical conditioning. And who cares about Chela? :lol:
Spain should tear Argentina apart on clay. Nadal alone could take care of the lot.

dudeski 11-29-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 6148945)
He was also a mess in early 2010 until Monte came along. Then he was magically healed. Expect the same when he gets to his beloved clay.:)
He took care of Tsonga/Gasquet easily in the last DC matches, hardly breaking a sweat.
And furthermore, Spain rules clay. Argentina has no in-form players. I'm not counting Monaco because he has no weapons and is no threat on the grand stage. See what Federer did to Mr.In-Form Monaco at the USO? That was an embarrasment. Del Potro has no form coming in, he's done little to prepare. Nalbandian is a farce now who isn't big-match tough at all and no physical conditioning. And who cares about Chela? :lol:
Spain should tear Argentina apart on clay. Nadal alone could take care of the lot.

Absolutely. Nadal is straights 95% probability. There is a 5% chance he might lose 1 set in two matches

jaggy 11-29-2011 12:18 PM

Could be interesting, hope it goes to 5 but think Spain in 4

Mustard 11-29-2011 12:39 PM

Another interesting fact. Spain have not lost a Davis Cup tie in Spain since a Kuerten masterclass for Brazil against Corretja and Moya in 1999.

Mike Sams 11-29-2011 02:14 PM

Must've been a pretty big deal when Soderling took down Spain's 2 strongest clay courters back to back in Ferrer and Nadal in Roland Garros 2009.

Love Game 11-29-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Tie preview

Spain and Argentina will meet in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas final for the second time in four years.

The Spaniards qualified for the final thanks to an extraordinary performance by its No. 1 player Rafael Nadal. The world No.2 travelled from New York to Spain right after playing an exhausting 4-set final against Novak Djokovic and won his two singles matches dropping only ten games against two top players like Richard Gasquet and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. The third point was earned by the always reliable David Ferrer.

Argentina travelled to Serbia for a semifinal clash in which the South Americans were clearly the underdogs. However, the Argentines took the first two singles points on Friday and arrived into the last day with a 2-1 lead over the locals. Novak Djokovic stepped into the court on Sunday for the first time in the tie to face Juan Martin del Potro and to try to level the score. But the Argentine played at a very high level and the Serb ended up retiring after his back problems became unbearable.

The 2008 Davis Cup final between the two nations took place in Mar del Plata (Argentina) and ended with a dramatic victory for a Spanish team that was missing its No. 1 player Rafael Nadal and was playing on its least favourite surface: hard.

Argentina’s only recent visit to Spain came in 2003 when a team formed by Gaston Gaudio, Mariano Zabaleta, Lucas Arnold Ker, Agustín Calleri and Gastón Gaudio was very close to cause a major upset when they forced the tie to go to the fifth rubber. However, Spain´s Carlos Moya did not give any option to Gaston Gaudio in the decisive match and the locals took a narrow 3-2 victory.

Spain has lifted the Davis Cup trophy in four occasions, all of them over the last eleven years (2000, 2004, 2008 and 2009).

Argentina finished runner-up in 1981, 2006 and 2008, but is yet to lift the trophy.
http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/t...ieId=100016227