Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Goodbye, Maryland tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=404853)

wanatabe mixer 11-29-2011 04:50 AM

Goodbye, Maryland tennis

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-to-cut-sport/

Clemson_tennis 11-29-2011 05:03 AM

Wish it wasn't so. They were a rising tennis program. Historically abyssmal but recent years saw improvement.

Joins Arizona State in the graveyard

mmk 11-29-2011 05:10 AM

Thank you Randy Edsall

schap02 11-29-2011 06:08 AM

rumor has it they need to raise 8 million to keep the program.

We shall see, I don't see anyone giving the program the money but who knows.

TCCP - Tennis Center College Park is a premier national training center for juniors (probably one of the best on the East Coast outside of FL...Beatrice Capra, Dennis Kudla and many others have made their way through there....Frank Salazar does a great job....

That being said, UMD used to use that facility for everything so I guess the only positive is possibly more court time for juniors...ect.

Still stinks for UMD though.....

I went to UMass for a few years before transferring to Penn State - UMass cut ALL mens tennis back in the day...guess its one of those bubble sports.

gavna 11-29-2011 06:29 AM

Ahhhh once again Title IX rears it's ugly head.....

gully 11-29-2011 07:33 AM

^^^^
The article makes it pretty clear that the causes are many:
  • lack of significant revenue from basketball and football
  • lack of state support
  • poor internal fundraising
  • overall economic doldrums
  • too many teams overall (3rd in conference)

To pick Title IX as the bogeywoman here, especially when both men's and women's teams are going to be cut unless they raise money, doesn't do the complexity of the situation justice. Without financial support -- from the state, the boosters, the revenue sports, the foundation -- it does seem very difficult for the institution to support nearly 30 non-revenue sports.

sureshs 11-29-2011 08:13 AM

Bashing Title IX is usually done by males who lose to 10 year old girls

Dawgie Dawg 11-29-2011 09:54 AM

or done by people who see supremely talented tennis and baseball players getting 1/5 scholarships while semi-taleneted womens divers get full rides.

gino 11-29-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6148615)

Classy. 10 char

jaggy 11-29-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6148615)

But she gave me a bad linecall on match point and Im still angry

SoCal10s 11-29-2011 01:18 PM

they didn't cut the women's tennis program ... no ?

Fearsome Forehand 11-29-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmk (Post 6148303)
Thank you Randy Edsall

More like, thank you Women's La Crosse. :roll:

I'm pretty upset that Women's Water Polo got the axe. Some of these programs are sort of ridiculous.

These teams should go find sponsors.

So, how are 25 year old former satellite pro Europeans and South Americans supposed to get tennis scholarships paid for by Maryland residents now? This is an outrage !!! :)

The only two revenue generating sports in major colleges are men's football and basketball. Every other sport is a net drain.

ollinger 11-29-2011 03:04 PM

Now that the cost of college education has even become a focus of student demonstrations, I think we'll be seeing lots of schools eliminating varsity tennis, among other sports (because of budget cuts, not the demonstrations). Too much money spent on sports students can play on their own. I love tennis, but not as much as I love people having access to somewhat affordable education, so I think it's the right thing to do. The priority of colleges needs to be accessable education. College sports in America has become a monstrosity that needs to be scaled back. If it were up to me, there'd be no sports scholarships whatsoever. The idea of funding students because they partake in an extrcurricular activity is ridiculous. Financial aid should be based on need and academic potential. Period.

mmk 11-29-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6149186)
More like, thank you Women's La Crosse. :roll:

I'm pretty upset that Women's Water Polo got the axe. Some of these programs are sort of ridiculous.

These teams should go find sponsors.

So, how are 25 year old former satellite pro Europeans and South Americans supposed to get tennis scholarships paid for by Maryland residents now? This is an outrage !!! :)

The only two revenue generating sports in major colleges are men's football and basketball. Every other sport is a net drain.

But women's lax and field hockey actually win national championships (I've followed both for years). So, if you were going to cut a program, would you cut one that wins championships, or one that is average at best?

treeman10 11-29-2011 03:55 PM

dennis10is 11-29-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 6148434)
Ahhhh once again Title IX rears it's ugly head.....

That's right, without Title Nine, the school can just end all women's sports.

Bad enough that they are allowed to go to college, and take jobs away from men.

Bad enough that we let them vote, so that they voted in all these Liberals and ruined the country.

dennis10is 11-29-2011 04:06 PM

If UMD hadn't squandered millions of dollars by giving it to foreigners and minorities they would have plenty leftovers to fund American only athletics.

Tennis is a sacred white male institution in colleges.

Fearsome Forehand 11-29-2011 05:08 PM

I think schools should get rid of athletic scholarships period; academic scholarships only.
Otherwise, the tail ends up wagging the dog.
See Penn State for details. :)

snoopy 11-29-2011 06:02 PM

There's a lot of interesting reading on the current problems with higher education here:

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/?s=hi...ucation+bubble

The higher education system will soon undergo drastic change.

Clemson_tennis 11-29-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis10is (Post 6149395)
If UMD hadn't squandered millions of dollars by giving it to foreigners and minorities they would have plenty leftovers to fund American only athletics.

Tennis is a sacred white male institution in colleges.

I don't understand