Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   shoes and achilles tendonitis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=405716)

randbrod14 12-08-2011 09:35 AM

shoes and achilles tendonitis
 
I have been suffering with Achilles tendonitis off and on for the past year and a half. I am a4.0 player, 50+ and play doubles once a week on concrete.

I have been wearing K Swiss Defier for a few years. They must have changed things since I have not been happy with the past pair I have gotten.

With my achilles issues, I am looking at getting a new pair of sneakers. It there anyone who has had achilles issues and would recommend tennis sneakers for me to wear?

Thanks!

jelichek 12-08-2011 09:58 AM

I have chronic achilles tendonitis in both. I have been wearing Nike Zoom Breathe 2K10's for the last year and a half or so. Very achilles friendly as they do not come up high in the back, there is no "v" notch back there as well and I don't lace up the top hole as to keep even less pressure on the area. Those seem to be the issues as far as I can tell: high in back, heel notch and tying too tight. Sadly, Nike somehow managed to mess up the new 2K11's and they do not work out for me at all. I recently tried on a high dollar New Balance pair (whatever their most expensive one is - don't know the number - and they seemed like they would work out as they meet my criteria. I did not buy them so can not say for sure. Have had this problem for years as I play virtually every day and it took me awhile to figure all of this out so...

NJ1 12-08-2011 01:54 PM

Try the Adidas Barricade 7s. They sound very supportive and cushioned.

janky 01-14-2013 11:56 AM

In the same boat. I'm about to get on the court again after taking almost 4 months off for physical therapy to address my achilles tendonititis and I'm looking for a new shoe too. I called Tennis Warehouse, ******* Sports and Tennis Express and they all recommend the Asic Gel Resolution 4 or 5 because it can take an insert and has a good back cushion for the heel. Anyone have any insight on that shoe and if it's good?

mikeler 01-14-2013 12:19 PM

I've had good luck with the Dr. Scholls sports inserts. When I feel the slightest pain, I use 5 minutes of ultrasound on it a day until all the pain goes away. It normally only takes a few days.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-14-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7119687)
I've had good luck with the Dr. Scholls sports inserts. When I feel the slightest pain, I use 5 minutes of ultrasound on it a day until all the pain goes away. It normally only takes a few days.

You have personal access to an ultrasound?! :shock: :confused:

How?!

Borrelli 01-14-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7119800)
You have personal access to an ultrasound?! :shock: :confused:

How?!

I think he's talking about ultrasound therapy, the one with the gel you rub on before using it? You can get them for like $80 on Amazon. Physical therapist's use them on patients all the time. You can also buy a portable ultrasound scanner, like the one in the commercial (sonosite) for big bucks to scan muscle tissue and what not but I doubt that's what he's speaking of.

mikeler 01-15-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borrelli (Post 7119936)
I think he's talking about ultrasound therapy, the one with the gel you rub on before using it? You can get them for like $80 on Amazon. Physical therapist's use them on patients all the time. You can also buy a portable ultrasound scanner, like the one in the commercial (sonosite) for big bucks to scan muscle tissue and what not but I doubt that's what he's speaking of.

Yes, I have the El Cheapo Amazon one. It does not generate heat like the professional grade versions but still works. A friend of mine got one that generates heat and he burned himself! I keep mine on the lowest setting per a doctor's recommendation.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse