Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Mercedes $$$ Tournament in Phoenix (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=405832)

10isDad 12-09-2011 02:14 PM

Mercedes $$$ Tournament in Phoenix

For anybody in the Phoenix area, next week there is a large money tournament at the Village Racquet Club in Phoenix. Several very good junior (including Deiton B) are competing, as are several current and former touring professionals.

Pros include former world #13 Andrei Pavel and several players ranked between 180 and 1800, including Roman Borvanov, Nick Monroe, Chris Wettengel, Brian Battistone and others.

Could be a good chance to see how the juniors match up against low- to mid-level touring professionals. I will hopefully be posting a few pictures.

TennisCoachFLA 12-09-2011 02:48 PM

That is a nice field. Another TT poster Tony Larson is also playing.

joe sch 12-09-2011 03:32 PM

I always enjoy watching Brian Battistone playing with his jump serves and dual handle racket. Wonder if he is playing dubs with Chris Wettengel ?

10isDad 12-09-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe sch (Post 6167503)
I always enjoy watching Brian Battistone playing with his jump serves and dual handle racket. Wonder if he is playing dubs with his bro ?

I talked w/ Brian a few months ago and he said his brother is officially retired (wanted to spend more time w/ family).

Brian is playing w/ Chris Wettengel.

TonLars 12-12-2011 09:34 PM

Yup, should be a good tournament. Im playing doubles with Deiton.

GRANITECHIEF 12-13-2011 09:01 AM

That sounds like a great tourney.

Tonlars, did that doubles pairing come about as a result of your participation on this forum? Just curious how you guys linked up and if you've played any sets with the young lad.

TonLars 12-13-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRANITECHIEF (Post 6173076)
That sounds like a great tourney.

Tonlars, did that doubles pairing come about as a result of your participation on this forum? Just curious how you guys linked up and if you've played any sets with the young lad.

Hey! I have heard of him and read stuff including from this forum, but never seen him play in person. Once I saw he was in the tournament I sent a message to Brad through youtube that I needed someone to warmup before matches and possibly play doubles. Ive talked with him on the phone a couple times, they seem very motivated and nice at the same time.

I went to school and played tennis in Santa Barbara my first 2 years, I wonder if I ever came across you? Back then I wasnt anywhere close to the playing level I am at now though.

TennisCoachFLA 12-13-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonLars (Post 6173895)
Hey! I have heard of him and read stuff including from this forum, but never seen him play in person. Once I saw he was in the tournament I sent a message to Brad through youtube that I needed someone to warmup before matches and possibly play doubles. Ive talked with him on the phone a couple times, they seem very motivated and nice at the same time.

I went to school and played tennis in Santa Barbara my first 2 years, I wonder if I ever came across you? Back then I wasnt anywhere close to the playing level I am at now though.

Actually this is a great dynamic Tony. His dad is saying its pros or nothing, college is no option. You excelled in college, on court and with the academics. You have also seen the immense jump in ability even at the 500-800 ATP level....let alone that completely different level needed to make money, which is a top 75 or so player.

I had the pleasure of working with Sekou Banhoura Jr. and remain close with him and his dad. He has given me some insight on the amazing level jumps in tennis from juniors, smaller college, top college, lower pros, and the special ones in the top 100.

I have a feeling with all your experience you will have a hunch after this tournaments if this is a kid who should be bypassing a college scholarship to gamble on the pros...or not. Of course your opinion will and should be kept private.

But to be quite honest, after all these years of bantering with BB, I would love to be able to read your mind on the topic after this tourny!

Have fun and best of luck.

Timbo's hopeless slice 12-13-2011 07:20 PM

and good luck to both of y'all, too...

chalkflewup 12-13-2011 07:22 PM

TCF,

Can you confirm a rumor? Did SB Junior leave Florida to go pro? I certainly hope not.

TennisCoachFLA 12-13-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 6173969)
TCF,

Can you confirm a rumor? Did SB Junior leave Florida to go pro? I certainly hope not.

Well, like any young guy with starry eyes, he is torn. Still on the team for 2011.....dad trying to keep him on track with the schooling. Not easy at that age.

Here is a nice piece from the summer.

http://www.addvantageuspta.com/%28S%...ookieSupport=1

himynameisNIKE 12-13-2011 09:26 PM

Playing this in singles, dubs, and mixed. Love beating up on the older guys lol

10isDad 12-14-2011 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himynameisNIKE (Post 6174184)
Playing this in singles, dubs, and mixed. Love beating up on the older guys lol

You have a fairly favorable draw in the singles and should win a couple rounds. Dubs is going to be rough for you guys. Mixed - you should get one win.

10isDad 12-14-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCoachFLA (Post 6173952)
Actually this is a great dynamic Tony. His dad is saying its pros or nothing, college is no option. You excelled in college, on court and with the academics. You have also seen the immense jump in ability even at the 500-800 ATP level....let alone that completely different level needed to make money, which is a top 75 or so player.

I had the pleasure of working with Sekou Banhoura Jr. and remain close with him and his dad. He has given me some insight on the amazing level jumps in tennis from juniors, smaller college, top college, lower pros, and the special ones in the top 100.

I have a feeling with all your experience you will have a hunch after this tournaments if this is a kid who should be bypassing a college scholarship to gamble on the pros...or not. Of course your opinion will and should be kept private.

But to be quite honest, after all these years of bantering with BB, I would love to be able to read your mind on the topic after this tourny!

Have fun and best of luck.

Should be interesting for DB. He secured a seed by virtue of having some wins in a qualie for a SoCal future. His first two probable opponents are both serve-volley players. I would guess he will get past the first opponent with relative ease. The guy he should play 2nd has sick hands and is a great volleyer. DB may well win this one, but he's going to have to hit a ton of well-aimed passing shots to do so.

GRANITECHIEF 12-14-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCoachFLA (Post 6174099)
Well, like any young guy with starry eyes, he is torn. Still on the team for 2011.....dad trying to keep him on track with the schooling. Not easy at that age.

Here is a nice piece from the summer.

http://www.addvantageuspta.com/%28S%...ookieSupport=1

Wonderding if he is still torn at the moment after playing nearly 20 events in 2011 (mostly futures and a few challenger quallies) and winning 1 round in roughly every other one.

TennisCoachFLA 12-14-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRANITECHIEF (Post 6174771)
Wonderding if he is still torn at the moment after playing nearly 20 events in 2011 (mostly futures and a few challenger quallies) and winning 1 round in roughly every other one.

Yup, I think reality is entering the picture. I think many posters have no idea how huge a jump it is from even top juniors to the pros. I doubt many would argue against that Sekou is a much better player than the other kid discussed here...and still hard to even sniff at the pros.

GRANITECHIEF 12-14-2011 10:14 AM

I'd actually like to see that match. Would probably lean toward DB, as I wasn't actually that impressed when i hit with jr.

TennisCoachFLA 12-14-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRANITECHIEF (Post 6174804)
I'd actually like to see that match. Would probably lean toward DB, as I wasn't actually that impressed when i hit with jr.

I would take that action all day long and twice on Sunday. Lots more goes into winning a match than just hitting hard. Sorry, DB is not near that level. SB's resume has quite a few wins over top 30 18s, not so with DB.

Just look at the Zoo. Bangoura beat guys ranked 4,35,18,7,10,3. DB beat 106 and 92.

Night and day, different levels of tennis in actual matches. I would bet you $10000 on that match!

GRANITECHIEF 12-14-2011 10:31 AM

Yeah, thats true, but it would probably be fun to watch and somewhat competitive.

TennisCoachFLA 12-14-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRANITECHIEF (Post 6174844)
Yeah, thats true, but it would probably be fun to watch and somewhat competitive.

A ha....I would go with that. No pressure on DB would even things out and make it 'somewhat' competitive.

But SB knows how to play the game, construct points, disguise his shots, use angles and spins, use the opponents pace. At this point, he would take that match no doubt.