Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Softest and brightest tournament grade balls (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=405949)

maxpotapov 12-10-2011 10:10 PM

Softest and brightest tournament grade balls
 
For the past 2 years I mostly used Slazenger Wimbledon Ultra Vis (tin can) tennis balls, as they are softer to my arm than anything else I've tried and brighter too. Maybe it is because of Milliken cloth or wool content, I don't know. Plus I could get them cheap at the local store, $4 a 4B can.

Is there a softer alternative? I heard Babolat Roland Garros are good too, and maybe Dunlop A-Player. Please advise...

JDMasFCK 12-11-2011 05:34 PM

Pro Penn and the Babolat Roland Garros are the softest for me.

maxpotapov 12-11-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMasFCK (Post 6170444)
Pro Penn and the Babolat Roland Garros are the softest for me.

Here's a good review of Pro Penn in the customer feedback section:
Quote:

I work as an instructor at a large indoor tennis facility, and I also maintain the tennis courts. For several years we have used Wilson US Open tennis balls for our leagues, and filtered them into our instructors baskets. Last year we changed to Pro-Penn tennis balls, and here are the differences we noticed. - 1. The Pro-Penn balls lose less of their fuzz with use, as indicated by a reduction in the amount of ball fuzz vacuumed up each week. - 2. The Wilson US Open balls look better after long use. Their label does not get worn off, but they lose more fluff. This is probably a matter of how much ink the factory uses to print the labels on the balls. - 3. Pro-Penn balls bounce higher after a three set match than the Wilson balls. - 4. and finally.... Our players seem to steal more of the Penn balls than the Wilson US Open Balls. I don't know what that means.
From: Richard, Grand Blanc, Michigan, USA. 04/09
Too bad they are Pro Shop specialty product and not available in retail

maxpotapov 12-15-2011 09:54 AM

Any other suggestions on arm and eye-friendly tournament balls?

maxpotapov 12-22-2011 11:34 PM

Federer mentions Babolat Roland Garros balls as too fast right out of the box,
http://tennis.com/articles/templates...2120&zoneid=25

Readers 12-24-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 6170673)
Here's a good review of Pro Penn in the customer feedback section:

Too bad they are Pro Shop specialty product and not available in retail

I disagree with everything on this except the fact Wilson US Open loss more felt. This include the fact I can get Pro Penn from retail store.

DeShaun 12-25-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 6187930)
Federer mentions Babolat Roland Garros balls as too fast right out of the box,
http://tennis.com/articles/templates...2120&zoneid=25

Those Roland Garros balls are lively, soft, and easy on the arm.

maxpotapov 12-26-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeShaun (Post 6191389)
Those Roland Garros balls are lively, soft, and easy on the arm.

Sounds good! Are they easy on the arm because of softer/thicker felt, lighter weight, better elasticity or...?

maxpotapov 12-26-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Readers (Post 6189521)
I disagree with everything on this except the fact Wilson US Open loss more felt. This include the fact I can get Pro Penn from retail store.

I don't quite see any high profile tournaments that endorse Penn balls, is there any?

Readers 12-26-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 6192032)
I don't quite see any high profile tournaments that endorse Penn balls, is there any?


?

I was referring to this:

"Too bad they are Pro Shop specialty product and not available in retail"

maxpotapov 12-27-2011 07:57 AM

No, I got it!
I was just saying, Pro or not Pro, Penn balls are probably for recreational or practice use only

Rjtennis 12-27-2011 11:59 AM

I dont care for how the red Pro Penn balls play. Im in a leaugue that uses them and I find them to be very slow playing balls. After about a set of play, I notice a large drop off in free points on serve and they didnt play fast to begin with.

gregor.b 12-27-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 6169266)
For the past 2 years I mostly used Slazenger Wimbledon Ultra Vis (tin can) tennis balls, as they are softer to my arm than anything else I've tried and brighter too. Maybe it is because of Milliken cloth or wool content, I don't know. Plus I could get them cheap at the local store, $4 a 4B can.

Is there a softer alternative? I heard Babolat Roland Garros are good too, and maybe Dunlop A-Player. Please advise...

Yeah,same down here in OzSlazenger all the way. Except they are about $12 a can. The Wilsons slow down faster but seem to be in slightly better condition after 4 or 5 sets. Much harder ball though. Nowhere near as comfortable.

DeShaun 01-01-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 6192027)
Sounds good! Are they easy on the arm because of softer/thicker felt, lighter weight, better elasticity or...?

Lighter weight and much greater elasticity, it seemed.

mikeler 01-01-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjtennis (Post 6193702)
I dont care for how the red Pro Penn balls play. Im in a leaugue that uses them and I find them to be very slow playing balls. After about a set of play, I notice a large drop off in free points on serve and they didnt play fast to begin with.


They change too much over the life of a match for my liking too.

Ramon 01-01-2012 04:50 AM

Try the Penn ATP balls. They are brightest balls I've seen. They are about as soft as the Penn Championship balls and they last longer.

Readers 01-02-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 6193316)
No, I got it!
I was just saying, Pro or not Pro, Penn balls are probably for recreational or practice use only

Oh, I totally agree with you on that, the balls just refuse to bonce even when they are new.

Even for practice I found Wilson US Open to be the better, as it does really cost that much more, and plays much better, they aren't stiff either.

However I don't see why you want to change if you can get ultra vis tin can for $4. I need to pay $6.5(inc tax) per can here in Canada, and that's when they are on sale.

mikeler 01-03-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6201896)
Try the Penn ATP balls. They are brightest balls I've seen. They are about as soft as the Penn Championship balls and they last longer.


Penn ATP is the only decent ball made by Penn.

maxpotapov 01-03-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Readers (Post 6205048)
However I don't see why you want to change if you can get ultra vis tin can for $4. I need to pay $6.5(inc tax) per can here in Canada, and that's when they are on sale.

I could get them this cheap back in Brooklyn, NY. They were also available in Pa***on Sports for $3.99 + tax, and maybe at Dick's for about the same price
Now I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, hence I need a cheaper and more readily available alternative, like those Babolat Roland Garros:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeShaun (Post 6201780)
Lighter weight and much greater elasticity, it seemed.

I really need something more lightweight and soft for my arm, even Slazenger Ultra Vis can feel a little heavy and hard, fresh out of the (tin) can, especially on a colder day. But if ball is lightweight, it will be easier on my arm no matter what.

On a side note, maybe this is the reason for modern racquets to become more and more stiff: together with poly, it helps hitting the rocks flying at you at 80-130 mph. What tennis industry should do instead, bring down the weight and decrease the pressure of tennis balls, to bring the game of tennis back to normal and safeguard players' arms.

JT_2eighty 01-19-2012 01:22 PM

Does anyone have thoughts on the Dunlop A-Player ball? :

"The Abzorber inspired core is designed to reduce shock by 15% for more comfortable hitting while the felt is 20% brighter so you can always keep your eye on the ball. With its excellent hard court performance, this extra-duty ball has quickly become a TW playtester favorite."

And as far as penn...

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 6192032)
I don't quite see any high profile tournaments that endorse Penn balls, is there any?

Penn ATP regular duty balls are "The Official Ball of the ATP Masters Series." per TW as well.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse