Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wilson Red Alert (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=406035)

fortun8son 12-12-2011 12:43 AM

Wilson Red Alert

I strung this up as an experiment (never used it before) for a hard hitting High School player @ 59 in a Wilson K Bold.
He needed more control and durability than he was getting with other synguts and I was unwilling to suggest poly.
He practices 3 times a week in addition to his matches.
It lasted 9 weeks before he finally popped a cross right in the middle of the sweetspot!
What's that, 30-40 hours?
He and his parents were pleased.
I was impressed.
Although they probably should've come back sooner. :)
BTW it strings up strangely for a syngut. Stiff like a poly, yet with a zingy sound like kevlar because of the texture.
Yet it 'pings' nicely and has very little vibration.
Not a true playtest, but I thought y'all might like to know.

JoelDali 12-12-2011 03:45 AM

There's several threads on the string if you want to read historical data use the search box.

Its a cheesy *** string but plays quite well.

themitchmann 12-12-2011 04:51 AM

I put it in a string breaker's frame, as he requested full syn gut. He actually loved it. And, it lasted longer than anticipated.

The only complaint: it's pink. Pink Alert.

mctennis 12-14-2011 11:02 PM

I have a set I've never tried. I hadn't heard or seen any reviews up to now. I have that set up for trade but maybe will take off my post in the FS/FT section. It doesn't sound too bad.

fortun8son 12-14-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themitchmann (Post 6170924)
I put it in a string breaker's frame, as he requested full syn gut. He actually loved it. And, it lasted longer than anticipated.

The only complaint: it's pink. Pink Alert.

I dunno. Looks pretty darn red to me.

pageltennis 12-15-2011 08:42 AM

I recently tried it and loved it too. It lasts much longer and has great feel. And yes, it is red. When you wear it down it starts to turn a little white, but it is definately red.

fortun8son 12-15-2011 11:39 PM

I think I'll only use it fullbed, though.
Seems a bit too rough for a hybrid.
Still gonna use Gosen, Forten, or Gamma Syngut for crosses w/poly.

themitchmann 12-16-2011 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 6175941)
I dunno. Looks pretty darn red to me.

It has white/red wraps around the outside. From afar, it looks pretty pink. His buddies all busted his chops about it.

fortun8son 12-16-2011 10:45 PM

That's odd. The stuff I got is solid red, no stripes. The core is clear and shows through with wear.
That sounds more like the 'red' PSGD

themitchmann 12-17-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 6178684)
That's odd. The stuff I got is solid red, no stripes. The core is clear and shows through with wear.
That sounds more like the 'red' PSGD

Huh. The playtest batches were white/red...like a candy cane. I had another set from when it was first released that was the same way. Perhaps they changed it. If so, I think it would be an improvement.

fortun8son 12-17-2011 11:01 PM

Definitely no candy stripes. Glad they changed it!

fortun8son 03-05-2012 10:00 PM

Update:
This string does exactly what it's supposed to do.
It has the the most control, spin, durability, and resistance to movement of any syngut out there.
It is the perfect choice for the player who quickly blows through standard syngut but is not quite ready for RIP or Poly.
Not suitable for hybrids, though. Too rough.
I like it. Bought a reel. Good stuff!

P.S. It will never win any awards for ease of stringing. I've used polys that were friendlier. 8)

Power Player 04-05-2012 10:59 AM

Fortun8, you have just blown my mind. I have never heard of this stuff.

I currently use RIP and really like it at 60#s. Would this work at the same tension?

EDIT I playtested this stuff..been a while though. I think I will give it another run. I remember Dali loved it.

fortun8son 04-05-2012 11:35 AM

It's more powerful than RIP and not as much spin, but you can string it high, and it's really red.
Not the candy cane playtest stuff.
I have another hard-hitting junior who goes through it in about 4-6 weeks.

Power Player 04-05-2012 12:11 PM

hmm..not as much spin..

:(

Hows the tension drop? RIP drops from 60 to 53 or so.

fortun8son 04-05-2012 10:55 PM

Tension drop is typical for syngut.
See also:http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com...red_alert.html
Since I don't play, myself, I can only go by customer feedback and playtests by others.
I also don't do post-stringing tension tests nor do any of my clients.
It doesn't make much sense for me as I don't see the racquets again until it's time to restring.

Steve Huff 04-06-2012 05:04 PM

I've strung it up a couple of times now. Never found it rough. Definitely no white in it. One set was a little "pinker" than the others I have. The promo set I got from USRSA was the reddist of the bunch. I think its a great string. Did not find it stiff. Maybe a touch firmer than PSGD, but played no stiffer than say Gosen OG Micro. I haven't tried the 17g yet.

fortun8son 05-11-2012 10:33 PM

It is an awesome string for tweeners who need more stiffness and durability, but are not ready for poly.
I may be the only advocate of this string, but, So Be It.
I like ZoTwist, too.

Power Player 06-25-2012 08:08 AM

Has anyone ever had this in the main and crossed with a poly?

fortun8son 06-25-2012 12:54 PM

I've been reluctant to try it in a hybrid because of the rough texture.
Sounds like an interesting experiment.