Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   "Winter Tennis Proves Valuable and Exciting" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=407183)

insidetheline100 12-26-2011 11:19 AM

"Winter Tennis Proves Valuable and Exciting"

"Winter Tennis Proves Valuable and Exciting"

What do you folks think? Do any of your kids play winter tennis? Enjoy it more or less than outdoors and do you notice the differences described in the article?

I know my child has to play indoors do to weather and that court fees just for practicing are kind of pricey, but I think she really enjoys it. Although to be fair she just started playing and doesn't know much else.

Frankenstine 12-26-2011 07:05 PM

We take winters lightly. We like to do other activities in order to just take a mental and physical break... When we haven't in the past there tends to be more injuries and things of that nature. The ranking suffers from these few months off from tennis, but it's necessary for us. We still play a couple times per week.

chalkflewup 12-27-2011 03:51 AM

Please explain mental break. I don't understand. Tennis is supposed to be the mental break not something you take a mental break from.

Frankenstine 12-27-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 6193046)
Please explain mental break. I don't understand. Tennis is supposed to be the mental break not something you take a mental break from.

Tennis can become very mentally taxing. When we play at a high level for months on end, we like to take a break in order to regroup during the winter months. Competition for months is very hard on some young players because of their desire to win and play well. Sure not all kids need a break, but previous results have indicated that for us we play a better year after we take a break compared to when we don't. It works for us, maybe not for everyone. It is just nice to do other things for a little so you appreciate tennis and the art of competition more.

chalkflewup 12-27-2011 06:47 PM

School and excelling in school can be taxing. Competing on the tennis court is the complete opposite.

Frankenstine 12-27-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 6194278)
School and excelling in school can be taxing. Competing on the tennis court is the complete opposite.

Maybe I am missing some of the logic here but how so? School is mental exercise and by all means students should enjoy it. Tennis is physical and mental exercise and players should enjoy it. Yet, many students (not all) take summers off in order to recover and relax a little bit. You take summer break in order to give yourself time to rest and reflect on your last school year and see what you can improve on. We view tennis in somewhat the same fashion (for our family at least, once again it may not be true for everyone). I would like you add some more to your statements instead of being so vague. Such as: what makes it the opposite, what evidence do you have for your thoughts, etc?

During tournaments/competition, players give it their all and they get nervous because they want to do their best. As long as they want to do their best for the right reasons then I do not see what the problem is. But after many tournaments during Jan-Sept/Oct the players tend to need a little break from tournaments so they can reflect on the past years worth of competition and appreciate tournaments more. The players are national level players, not future pros but future collegiate players. They are just doing it for fun and because of their love of competition.

Could you please elaborate on what is wrong with taking a "mental break" from tennis? Once again, I am just sharing my families experience.

chalkflewup 12-28-2011 04:13 AM

There's nothing wrong with taking a break at all. My kid takes 2 days off a week but that's more physical than mental. Ask any serious junior tennis player if they want to take a mental break over the Winter months. There's your evidence. The majority like to compete.

Now the parents might need a break but I don't think the serious junior will unless the parents force the child to play. I do think many parents need a mental break and in some instances professional guidance.

I don't know too many kids that enjoy final exams. Given the choice, my kid would prefer to take a mental break from school but tennis and competitions are enjoyable and a release.

Frankenstine 12-28-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 6194685)
There's nothing wrong with taking a break at all. My kid takes 2 days off a week but that's more physical than mental. Ask any serious junior tennis player if they want to take a mental break over the Winter months. There's your evidence. The majority like to compete.

Now the parents might need a break but I don't think the serious junior will unless the parents force the child to play. I do think many parents need a mental break and in some instances professional guidance.

I don't know too many kids that enjoy final exams. Given the choice, my kid would prefer to take a mental break from school but tennis and competitions are enjoyable and a release.

What do you mean by serious junior tennis player? Are we talking about the nations best or the more mid-level national players? Yes, we still like to compete but if you take a couple months off you are more likely to be injury-free and mentally rested. You feel rested and eager to compete (which you always should).

Their is definitely no forcing of the child to play considering they pick their tournament schedule. If the parent needs a mental break that isn't good. They are not the ones competing, they are the ones who should be having fun just watching their children play (as long as they have good sportsmanship).

Those are finals, totally different things. I agree with you, tennis should be 100% fun and enjoyable. And that is what we are trying to preserve.

Every family is different and I'm just sharing our experience. Every season that we have taken a couple month break we have done better then when we didn't take a break in both their mental and physical performance. They were not taking a break because of pressure put on by the parent, but because they need a little break from the heavy competition that tennis brings. They are not future pros and we are not trying to groom them to be. We are trying to keep tennis as fun as possible.

chalkflewup 12-28-2011 07:30 AM

I'm sure you are doing what is best for your situation - that's all that counts. I'm not sure what you mean by nation's mid-level? I don't follow the rankings.

Frankenstine 12-28-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 6194960)
I'm sure you are doing what is best for your situation - that's all that counts. I'm not sure what you mean by nation's mid-level? I don't follow the rankings.

For the nation's mid-level players I classify them like 30-150 (roughly) nationally. The kids that win a few matches at super nationals and who go fairly deep in L2/L3 nationals.

Yeah, it really is whatever is best for the family.

tennisbuck 11-20-2012 06:37 PM

I agree tennis is very mentally taxing and at the beginning taking breaks over the winter is a good thing. It also depends on how seriously you take your tennis. If your just doing it for fun and your kid likes to play other sports taking the winter off seems to be the way to go(as it is very expensive.) ON the other hand if your child is serious you will need to play indoors to keep up with the kids who are. It will be frustrating to come back and have seen everybody else improve while you didn't. So it just depends on your level of seriousness imo.