Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Best tennis academy in the world? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=407513)

TheCanadian 12-29-2011 08:14 PM

Best tennis academy in the world?

Let's say you have a kid who's showing world-class potential. Where would you send him, to what academy, and at what age?

Number1Coach 12-29-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCanadian (Post 6197860)
Let's say you have a kid who's showing world-class potential. Where would you send him, to what academy, and at what age?

Have his dad or mom train him and find him great hitting partners , it is proven parents do the best job .

Then have the child compete every so often 8 to 12 tournys a year (between 10 - 14 yrs old )and when they get older play the better tournys like nationals about 2 x a year .

jigglypuff 12-29-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6197871)
Have his dad or mom train him and find him great hitting partners , it is proven parents do the best job .

Then have the child compete every so often 8 to 12 tournys a year (between 10 - 14 yrs old )and when they get older play the better tournys like nationals about 2 x a year .

Yes, whatever you do, don't hand him off to anyone else. If he is world class, there should be no problem getting the right training and partners for free or cheap.

TheCanadian 12-29-2011 08:53 PM

Parents? Aren't you assuming now that they can provide expert coaching that is now necessary at a very young age?

Quote:

As the tennis world expands, coaches say, top-level instruction at an early age becomes more important. This doesn’t surprise Dr. K. Anders Ericsson, a psychology professor at Florida State University who studies how people acquire expertise. After years of research on elite athletes and musicians, Ericsson has found that over time, experts generally need more practice and better training. Take chess, which Ericsson has examined with the help of computers that compare today’s best players to past champions.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...=259515&page=5

TheCanadian 12-29-2011 09:20 PM

http://www.brugueratennis.com/

Thoughts?

treeman10 12-29-2011 09:47 PM

-------------

TheCanadian 12-29-2011 10:08 PM

A Canadian 10-year-old. Problems around here: cold weather, paucity of completion and players. A kid needs to play outside on clay more than 4 months a year.

Dadof10s 12-30-2011 05:52 AM

If you are looking at Spain then consider this one too.

http://www.sanchez-casal.com/

Number1Coach 12-30-2011 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCanadian (Post 6197966)
A Canadian 10-year-old. Problems around here: cold weather, paucity of completion and players. A kid needs to play outside on clay more than 4 months a year.

Go to youtube get a hold of a screen name "Tennisdad" if your for real he will be more then happy to help you in the right direction of building your player , he works with his son and has a lot of knowledge on a good road you can take .

donnymac10s 12-30-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Barcelona Total Tennis is pretty good..just remember that it takes more than coaching to make a player. Parents play a HUGE role in the way the child relates to the sport. Are you planning on being there with your child or will he just be boarded at the program? If he goes to a place where he doesn't speak the language, he may struggle to fit in and become depressed. Academies are places where both positive and negative habits can be picked up, so that's another thing to consider. Not sure if there is an answer...maybe train in an academy for 2 weeks; home for 4; and so on. As he becomes more accustomed to being away, change the system so that he can be away more.

tennisbuck 11-21-2012 08:12 AM

Parents can be good for starting out, but if a kid has world class potential he needs to be competing with elite kids daily.

gplracer 11-21-2012 08:50 AM

Is it Mr tennisdad?

Rina 11-21-2012 09:50 AM

Where in Canada? If East look into academies on the East Coast of US. Carolinas, DC even has a good one. On the West Coast California would have options for you. Or does it have to be Europe? In US if you find the right coach, language will be the same, most French Canadians speak English well, if that is your case? Supposedly France has the best juniors right now and teaches best technique, that was mentioned here before.

Ash_Smith 11-21-2012 11:53 AM

If it were my child then either Sanchez-Casal (as I know Emilio) or Equelite.

A-SC because Emilio and co have a proven track record in producing players who have made college level and above and you have access to some incredible coaches like Pato, Dani Sorribas and Emilio and Sergio.

Equelite because Antonio is one of the few coaches I know of who have worked with a player from literally day one to the tour and it's a bit smaller than some so the attention is more personal.

Crisp 11-21-2012 12:52 PM

I have spent time at Sanchez-casal myself travelling from Australia to get hands on experience. The academy and the drills are really high quality and of course there is a vast array of hitting partners that can accommodate any level of player through their development. Somewhere else I would also be inclined to look these days is prosejtov ( spelling) in the Czech Republic as they seem to be producing a lot of top players, men and women.

tennisconsultcom 11-21-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

I researched almost all academies and asked many people (players and parents, coaches) about their opinion. My answer: there is NO the best academy in the world. You need to look for a good coaches for your kid and do not buy a brand. It is not a car market.

sureshs 11-21-2012 03:19 PM

That may be true, but brand reputations are integral to our society, and for good reason.

NLBwell 11-21-2012 06:08 PM

Where did Murray and Safin go in Spain?

Crisp 11-21-2012 11:07 PM

Murray was defs at Sanchez-casal. But just going there does not guarantee anything 250 or more students there trying to be Murray or kuznetsova when they will probably produce 1 or 2 every few years. It's a hard road.

SoCal10s 11-22-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

I would keep him home for a while... send him to a soccer camp,do some martial arts training,go to a fitness coach,have him swim all the time... all of these things he won't get from a ''tennis academy'' ...