Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   String Guide to the Perplexed (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=408694)

BigT 01-09-2012 09:09 PM

String Guide to the Perplexed

In the past few years, it seems that there are more and more posters here that are very new to strings and confused about some of the basics. Plus, I have gotten many emails through the years with questions that come up often.

I hope to use this thread to answer some of these issues. Playing and stringing and a pretty good level for 20+ years, hopefully some will benefit from my experiences.

BigT 01-09-2012 09:23 PM

I am 6'1", 175lbs...What shoes should I get?!

No, that question is not in the wrong section. Just like it is impossible to answer that, so too is the question:

'I use XX racquet. What strings?'
or
'Best strings for XX racquet'

There are probably 2-3 threads started like that a day, and what's even funnier: you have 10 posters trying to answer.

Just like my height and weight tell you absolutely nothing about my feet and what shoes fit best, so too, a racquet cannot tell anyone which strings are best for the racquet.

Strings need to fit the PLAYER:

Level, style, strokes, etc.

Case in point: 2 guys use an Babolat APD. One plays a huge topspin, aggressive net playing game. Another is a golden retreiver, pushing from side to side. They do not need the same strings.

That is just one example of many.

fortun8son 01-09-2012 09:32 PM

Good point.
'What's the best poly(multi,syngut,etc.)' is an unanswerable question.
Specifics, please.
What frame?
What style?
What have you used before?
What tension?
Hybrid or fullbed?
What did you like and not like about it?

fgs 01-10-2012 03:12 AM

"the best" can only be determined by the individual player himself. even if i know the player very well, his playstyle, his stroking mechanics, his "string history" it is difficult to come up and say "my friend, this is THE BEST string for you."

under the circumstances described above one can issue some recommendations, thus narrowing down the number of options. if he/she rather likes softer strings than it makes no sense suggesting a very stiff playing one, etc.

Chyeaah 01-10-2012 03:19 AM

With the introduction of hybrids, the average player will never find the "best" just the "better".

fgs 01-10-2012 03:36 AM

hybrids definitely increase dramatically the number of options, but with more than 800 types of string out there, i wonder if anyone would have found the "best" either.:)

BigT 01-12-2012 07:58 PM

Who should use poly? part 1

This is one of the most common, misunderstood subjects around, and I will not be able to answer all the issues in one sitting.

Just based on many first-time customers that come my way, I would say that at least 60% of the people out there that are using poly, should not be. From the posters here, it looks more like 75%.

Poly is for players that have developed a fast swing speed and that can consistantly hit higher powered shots. I would say unless a player has reached at least the 4.0 level (should be more like 4.5), he should not even consider using poly.

For example, a few weeks ago, a father of a 10 year old called me and asked for a string recommendation for his son. I told him, for a 10 year old, any standard synthetic or multi would probably do. He began asking about poly, saying that his son is very strong and hits very hard. I asked him how often his son breaks his normal 16g synthetic. He answered, "Maybe once a month of playing about 3-4 times a week". Luckily, he listened to me. Tried out a set of a good synthetic, and 2 weeks later ended up getting a reel.

To conclude, if one is not breaking a basic 16g synthetic gut in about 10 hours of play or less, your swing speed is probably not fast enough to justify using poly.

corbind 01-13-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 6226217)
To conclude, if one is not breaking a basic 16g synthetic gut in about 10 hours of play or less, your swing speed is probably not fast enough to justify using poly.

I assume you're saying use poly if you are a string-breaker. Yet it seems many poly users use it not because they break strings but because they want the big, loopy topspin shots.

Chyeaah 01-13-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 6226650)
I assume you're saying use poly if you are a string-breaker. Yet it seems many poly users use it not because they break strings but because they want the big, loopy topspin shots.

Seriously? I cant break 16G syn gut. It doesn't work unless your opponent is a really hard hitter as well.

And also depends on your racquet, if you use a Pure Drive and have a fast enough swing speed as stated by you you will hit all your balls out.

westpac690 01-13-2012 02:54 AM

As far as the whole poly issue goes, some of these racquets put out on the market are designed for it. Pure Drive's are too powerful for anything BUT poly, no matter what your level. Head Extremes, the old K Factor racquets, etc.. Just too powerful for synthetic gut or multis

BigT 01-13-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 6226650)

The thing is, poly itself doesn't give you big, loopy topspin shots. If you already have big, loopy topspin shots, then poly helps controlling them.

I see a lot of slap happy, wreckless players swing for the fences, and actually hit the fence with many of their shots. Poly doesn't miraculously bring those shots down. That is why I put 'consistantly' in bold print in my previous post.
If someone cannot keep a decent paced rally with decent depth and shots within 3' over the net, for at least 15 shots, he should work on his stroke before thinking that poly will come to the rescue.

fgs 01-13-2012 11:03 AM

westpac690,
you assume that all the pure drive users and wilson open users and head extreme users do have a full and fast swing and hence need to mate these powerful sticks with poly to tone them down and hit the court - under these circumstances your assumptions are right. but you might be surprised how many rec players with abbreviated strokes do swing these sticks, and these don't need poly if they want to make the ball make it over the net.
nevertheless, most of them do use poly because they don't know better and also because their stringer has an easier life selling them "the rafa-string" or "the roger string".:)

BigT 02-10-2012 11:59 AM

String breakers usually break string often because they have faster swing speeds and hit the ball hard, usually with lots of spin, and usually hit with other players that do the same. So it's obvious that string breakers are the best candidates to use poly.

These same players are the first to benefit from the control and spin poly provides.

But if poly does not break, does that mean they should be played with forever?

Most pros switch their racquets every ball change, others wait at the most a day or two. What makes us think that we can play with poly for weeks or months at a time?

Being that I have a sensitive arm, and have tested dozens of polys from many brands, I think that 10 hours of play or two weeks since stringing is a good time to cut out the poly. It could be a little more or less for others, but since using this formula and using full poly, I have not had any arm issues.

Conclusion: Do not use poly if you're not ready to cut it out after a reasonable amount of play or time.(+-10 hours or +-2 weeks)

fortun8son 02-10-2012 02:00 PM

Another good candidate for poly is the light, head heavy, oversize, fan pattern stick.
These things eat up nylon strings and the string movement is very annoying.
I just strung a Head MG 12 with SPPP1.28 @50lbs.
Fine print on the frame actually recommends Sonic Pro.
The junk that comes on these prestrung frames is almost unplayable.

polytheist 02-10-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 6227394)
I see a lot of slap happy, wreckless players swing for the fences, and actually hit the fence with many of their shots. Poly doesn't miraculously bring those shots down.

Um, yes it does. Have you met poly?

BigT 02-11-2012 08:30 PM

L-Tec: The Official Poly of 3.5 Level Players

Maybe this should have been a thread on it's own, but since there are already about 6 threads on the first page regarding these strings, I chose not to add another one.

Another poster was raving about these strings and stringing methods, saying they were lasting at least 40 hours of play, with the same great feel throughout. I had then asked him how long it takes him to break 16g synthetic gut, and he replied 'Forever'.

Nothing against this poster, and yes, to him, I'm sure the poly feels the same throughout 40 hours of play. But should he be using poly in the firstplace?

A new shoe company can come out with a revolutionary new outsole that they say will last 2 years, and a granny that plays doubles on the weekends could make a thread about how it's true for her and all her friends. But to any tennis player it will be the same 2-4 months as all the other outsoles. Because outsoles wearout, no matter what they make them with.

There is a reason why pros switch racquets as often as they do, and it's not because they have not yet found out about these strings or stringing methods.

alidisperanza 02-11-2012 08:38 PM

Oldie but a goodie http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...ighlight=jolly

TenFanLA 02-11-2012 08:43 PM

I am not fully convinced LTec/JET is the magic string/method and I have to see it for myself (I'm playtesting.) But to be fair there were 2 much higher level players (ex-D1, Open/Futures) who said that LTec maintained high quality of play for 30+ hours.

alidisperanza 02-11-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chyeaah (Post 6226667)
Seriously? I cant break 16G syn gut. It doesn't work unless your opponent is a really hard hitter as well.

And also depends on your racquet, if you use a Pure Drive and have a fast enough swing speed as stated by you you will hit all your balls out.

I hate to be offensive here but please don't make blanket statements like this until you actually have had some valid experience with what you're taking about/ have some sort of empirical evidence that states otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 6318100)
String breakers usually break string often because they have faster swing speeds and hit the ball hard, usually with lots of spin, and usually hit with other players that do the same. So it's obvious that string breakers are the best candidates to use poly.

Part 1: True. Part 2: Poly is only a minor solution. Chronic string breakers typically will move to Kevlar if they want to extend the life of their strings. It's still possible to chronically break poly

Most pros switch their racquets every ball change, others wait at the most a day or two. What makes us think that we can play with poly for weeks or months at a time?

Some people actually like that dead feeling/ cant tell the difference... go figure

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 6318343)
Another good candidate for poly is the light, head heavy, oversize, fan pattern stick.
These things eat up nylon strings and the string movement is very annoying.
I just strung a Head MG 12 with SPPP1.28 @50lbs.
Fine print on the frame actually recommends Sonic Pro.
The junk that comes on these prestrung frames is almost unplayable.

Another thought that comes to mind is the Ti S6. I have a few customers that love it with poly in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 6320844)
Maybe this should have been a thread on it's own, but since there are already about 6 threads on the first page regarding these strings, I chose not to add another one.

Another poster was raving about these strings and stringing methods, saying they were lasting at least 40 hours of play, with the same great feel throughout. I had then asked him how long it takes him to break 16g synthetic gut, and he replied 'Forever'.

Nothing against this poster, and yes, to him, I'm sure the poly feels the same throughout 40 hours of play. But should he be using poly in the firstplace?

The low-poly phenomenon has opened up the string to a whole new spectrum of users. @ 55lbs+ in a 100sq inch frame or smaller, I agree that one has to have the bat speed to effectively access the spin production of poly. At lower tensions, a player doesn't have to swing as fast to "bend" the string and get a similar result. Obviously, technique has a huge part to play in it but this lower tension not only is proving more comfortable but accessible.

Regarding the header of your post, the L-Tec phenomenon is still an emerging concept and yet to be put through the ever-so-rigourous-T.T. User- Tests. We'll see what comes out of it.

Heck, as I mentioned before, some people like the dead/boardy feeling of poly even though they "shouldn't" be hitting with it.

BigT 02-12-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenFanLA (Post 6320860)
I am not fully convinced LTec/JET is the magic string/method and I have to see it for myself (I'm playtesting.) But to be fair there were 2 much higher level players (ex-D1, Open/Futures) who said that LTec maintained high quality of play for 30+ hours.

UCLA plays Pepperdine this Tuesday @UCLA. Both are top D-1 schools and both use Solinco. From my experience, Solinco strings are heavy and thick and have better durability than many others.
Try going there and asking the players how many hours of hitting their strings last before breaking. UCLA's #2 from last year, who I hit with once in awhile, said his Revolution 1.25 lasts him at most 7-8 hours, and that's in a Prestige.

Now a Futures player is claiming to get 30+ hours?? Don't believe everything you read.