Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   article on Grace Min in today's NY Times (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=408751)

barnes1172 01-10-2012 10:01 AM

article on Grace Min in today's NY Times
 
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/sp...ns-tennis.html

Thoughts?

Number1Coach 01-10-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnes1172 (Post 6220491)

Like the article said she is a "lab rat" sitting in a lab where over and over the experiments fail ,,my guess she will end up in college .

I like her but without her parents you can hear the distraction in her focus "homesick" so this will add up with losses and she will "probably" throw in the towel and settle for a degree.

Keysmickey 01-10-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6220782)
Like the article said she is a "lab rat" sitting in a lab where over and over the experiments fail ,,my guess she will end up in college .

I like her but without her parents you can hear the distraction in her focus "homesick" so this will add up with losses and she will "probably" throw in the towel and settle for a degree.

"settle for a degree" ??? That' an interesting way of looking at it. LOL.

WARPWOODIE 01-10-2012 12:38 PM

Maybe she had an off day, but a blue chip getting doubled bageled is not a good sign...it suggest to me that there is much work to be done.

Number1Coach 01-10-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keysmickey (Post 6220810)
"settle for a degree" ??? That' an interesting way of looking at it. LOL.

Travel the world for 10years and when your done teach as a pro at $ 80:00an hr. Or ?

Dadof10s 01-10-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6220870)
Travel the world for 10years and when your done teach as a pro at $ 80:00an hr. Or ?

What you describe is super rare, most players who try the pros bail out after a few years with lots of debt. She has a 3.98 GPA so she could attend a top college and her odds of making a good living would be good.

Number1Coach 01-10-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadof10s (Post 6220941)
What you describe is super rare, most players who try the pros bail out after a few years with lots of debt. She has a 3.98 GPA so she could attend a top college and her odds of making a good living would be good.

If you could I would like to see what the average "starting" income out of college is these days , so if you can come up with a chart or a newspaper article it would be interesting to see .

As for Grace her first obsticle in her mind is her family , these days you want a good shot at it they are the most important substence the USTA wants eliminated . So when your baking a cake and you throw the flower out , good luck .

Soianka 01-10-2012 01:59 PM

Wonder if she'll come home to Atlanta and train with her old coach.

Melanie Oudin trains at RCS where Grace's old coach works.

Number1Coach 01-10-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadof10s (Post 6220941)
What you describe is super rare, most players who try the pros bail out after a few years with lots of debt. She has a 3.98 GPA so she could attend a top college and her odds of making a good living would be good.


Btw lot of ex-challenger players collecting that type of coin per hr.

Tennishacker 01-10-2012 02:13 PM

Realistic article, we have known Grace since she was twelve, she is the perfect tennis kid, doesn't cheat, no BS on the court, respects opponents, and a super nice person.

I like how the USTA "big wigs" come up with excuses for her, "small, doesn't think points out, etc." Tennis is not as complicated as they make it out to be.

I truly wish her the best, and hope she goes to college.

Number1Coach 01-10-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6221019)
Realistic article, we have known Grace since she was twelve, she is the perfect tennis kid, doesn't cheat, no BS on the court, respects opponents, and a super nice person.

I like how the USTA "big wigs" come up with excuses for her, "small, doesn't think points out, etc." Tennis is not as complicated as they make it out to be.

I truly wish her the best, and hope she goes to college.

Remember she is their "lab-rat" and size is only a bonus

chalkflewup 01-10-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soianka (Post 6220973)
Wonder if she'll come home to Atlanta and train with her old coach.

Melanie Oudin trains at RCS where Grace's old coach works.

Melanie Oudin no longer trains at RCS. She currently trains in Boca Raton.

Soianka 01-11-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 6221320)
Melanie Oudin no longer trains at RCS. She currently trains in Boca Raton.

Interesting. Still it would be nice if Grace came home to train.

Soianka 01-11-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6221019)
Realistic article, we have known Grace since she was twelve, she is the perfect tennis kid, doesn't cheat, no BS on the court, respects opponents, and a super nice person.

I like how the USTA "big wigs" come up with excuses for her, "small, doesn't think points out, etc." Tennis is not as complicated as they make it out to be.

I truly wish her the best, and hope she goes to college.

Why do you think she should go to college versus trying her hand at the pros?

Soianka 01-11-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6221088)
Remember she is their "lab-rat" and size is only a bonus


I've got to think being 5'4 is a factor and she does need to learn to play a certain way.

Grace could overpower junior players but she isn't going to be able to overpower most people on the WTA.

Do you think height doesn't matter for women players?

Another local Atlanta girl besides Melanie and Grace is Irina Falconi who is even shorter than that. She has been doing relatively well moving up in the WTA each year. I think she is 80 something now, but I've got to think her tiny size may limit how far she is able to go despite being a seriously hard worker, really believing in herself, and having tennis talent.

SoCal10s 01-11-2012 10:28 AM

is she still hitting big? if she's with USTA,maybe she's doing a bit too much of grinding tennis...pros don't miss.. you need big shots to make pros miss.. grinding tennis for a 5'4''(she may be shorter) body is early retirement..

Tennishacker 01-11-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soianka (Post 6222456)
Why do you think she should go to college versus trying her hand at the pros?

Her game is not suited for the WTA.
New NCAA rules stipulate that she must attend college within 6 months of graduating high school, inorder to receive 4 year scholarship.
Plus, she would be recruited by the very top colleges in the nation.

That free education is priceless!

HIGH-TECH TENNIS 01-11-2012 10:43 AM

We've known Grace (and her awesome Coach Greg) since she was about 10. We were there (though not watching) when she experienced her first double-bagel loss since her preteens.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I say Grace is not a "human laboratory rat, being taught when to make what of shot against what type of opponent." What she IS is a sweet, respectful, super smart girl who would make an unbelievably excellent college player---and I hope that's exactly what happens...

Tennishacker 01-11-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal10s (Post 6222586)
is she still hitting big? if she's with USTA,maybe she's doing a bit too much of grinding tennis...pros don't miss.. you need big shots to make pros miss.. grinding tennis for a 5'4''(she may be shorter) body is early retirement..

I'm on the same page as you, USTA P-Mac has no clue what he is talking about Grace's game.
She can't grind againist bigger, stronger, taller WTA players. She needs to learn how to put away balls early in points, develop some big weapons, take more chances...

I know she is at most 5'3'

Soianka 01-11-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6222604)
Her game is not suited for the WTA.
New NCAA rules stipulate that she must attend college within 6 months of graduating high school, inorder to receive 4 year scholarship.
Plus, she would be recruited by the very top colleges in the nation.

That free education is priceless!

Good point. Maybe she'll go to Georgia Tech and try to follow in Irina's footsteps.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse