Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Foreign college thread in the college section (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=409451)

tennis5 01-16-2012 02:02 PM

Foreign college thread in the college section

This is posted in the college foreign thread.

Thought the Junior Talk would enjoy reading this too.

Interesting read from a tennis dad. This is part of a long letter, and I pulled out the paragraphs relevant to this section.

I hope we can all read this without besmirching Mr. Bryan's character or his sons' talents.

Wayne Bryan’s Letter To The USTA
http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles...r-to-the-usta/

Address the glut of college players in American college tennis.

This is the big elephant in our tennis living room. The USTAhas never taken a stand on this.
They even put out a White Paper saying basically that there is no problem.
I chaired a panel discussion on this two years ago and the four USTA Staffers at the table all said American kids are “no good” and “lazy”. Huh?! There are several million dollars in tennis scholarships going to foreing players whose parents do not spend dollar one in taxes for education in this country. In this dire economy this is unconscionable it seems to me.

UCSB Story: I made my annual trip up to see my ol’ school UCSB beat UOP on Friday and made a little check contribution to the team, but it broke my heart to see most all the players on both teams being from Hong Kong and Denmark and France, and everywhere but the USA.

Baylor wins the NCAA Team Title a couple of years ago with six foreign players. What do we do?
We make their head man theITA Coach of the Year!

And I had a nice long chat with a Freshman who was watching and supporting the team from Washington DC who couldn’t quite crack the lineup at UCSB and he was saying that he “just wasn’t quite good enough”. That broke my heart and I remembered back to my wonderful days playing there in the late 60s and having everyone on the squad from California (they are all close pals to this day – one a doctor, two lawyers, one in real estate and two still in tennis) and we played maybe one team all year that had one foreign player.

With 65% of the players being from overseas, it is criminal and most of all, it is a crying shame that American college tennis is now a world class sport. It should be for our American youngsters to enjoy and to derive the wonderful benefits.
Are those parents of the players from Europe and Asia paying taxes to support UCSB and all the other colleges in this country?
To ask the question is to answer it.

European soccer and Japanese baseball have quotas re foreign players.
As Steve Bellamy points out, to be Miss America you must be from the US.
To be President of the United States you must be Born in the USA as Bruce Springstein would sing.

One foreign player per team? – - – fine – - –
helps international good will and is a nice broadening experience for the guys on the team – - –
six foregn players?! – - – I say the emperor has no clothes.
I say burn it down and start over again.
Time for a revolt.
Carthage must be destroyed!

I have been spectacularly unsuccesful in getting this elephant in our American living room removed. I have made speech after speech to coaches and parents in this country and they are 100% behind me and I’ve spoken to the college coaches national meeting in Florida on three occasions in recent years and I’ve hit this topic as hard as only Wayne Bryan can – - – to no avail.

Lamp Story: Light the lamp in the living room at 8:30 in the evening and it lights up the room and puts a warm glow everywhere. Take that same lamp outside on a Summer day at noon and you cannot see any shine coming from it at all. It is all drowned out by the bright sun. Have only American kids playing college tennis and the crowds will be even bigger and the tennis just fine and exciting. Open college tennis up to the whole world and make it world class and our US kids are diminished. Why not make High School Tennis world class too? Why not have all the foreign coaches come over and take all the jobs away from our American coaches? College tennis should not be a world class sport. It should be for our American kids. And the scholarships should go to them and be helpful to their parents who pay all those taxes and who have supported their children and their tennis and their academics every step of the way.

It is time for the USTA to stand up and be counted on this issue. It is our USTA juniors who are losing out and paying the price. This glut of foreign players is chilling US junior tennis. When their is no fruit or flowers on the top, the vine dies.

TennisCoachFLA 01-16-2012 02:05 PM

Already a thread on the topic.

tennis5 01-16-2012 02:21 PM

Yes, I know... Pulled this out for just the foreign piece. Welcome back btw.

chalkflewup 01-16-2012 04:28 PM

Wayne needs to go after the NCAA on this issue not the USTA.

thepastord 01-17-2012 03:07 PM

The vine is dying and will continue to do so. I wish there was a simple answer. Even being a proactive parent doesn't seem to amount to much. One big can of worms, I tell you. Very sad for American student/players. I wish everyone well in their future tennis endeavors. :(

gplracer 01-17-2012 04:44 PM

I agree 100%

donnymac10s 01-17-2012 05:32 PM

foreigners are not the problem. The problem is the low level of players. Part of the problem being that where foreigners aim for the top (the pros) we aim for college (half-way). When foreigners fail to reach their goals, they can still "settle" for college tennis. When our players fail, they don't make the team (causing people to send angry letters to the USTA). If we want more of our players in college tennis, we should be aiming to develop more pros. A lot will not make it but will find a college spot and scholarship at a decent school. Advice: you (esp. a male) want to play college tennis? Train to be a pro.

andfor 01-17-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnymac10s (Post 6238391)
foreigners are not the problem. The problem is the low level of players. Part of the problem being that where foreigners aim for the top (the pros) we aim for college (half-way). When foreigners fail to reach their goals, they can still "settle" for college tennis. When our players fail, they don't make the team (causing people to send angry letters to the USTA). If we want more of our players in college tennis, we should be aiming to develop more pros. A lot will not make it but will find a college spot and scholarship at a decent school. Advice: you (esp. a male) want to play college tennis? Train to be a pro.

True. But most of those who disagree will stop reading after your first sentence. If they do read will dismiss and ignore...........the facts.

Number1Coach 01-17-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

That's a great logical thought and it works. This is the thinking of everyone who is wise ,those that are smart won't except this .

chalkflewup 01-17-2012 06:20 PM

Don't train to be a pro. "Be all you can be" is a more realistic tact.

hound 109 01-17-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6238497)
That's a great logical thought and it works. This is the thinking of everyone who is wise ,those that are smart won't except this .

this post cracks me up on about three different levels.

BOT......Thanks for sharing Bryan's letter, Tennis 5 !

Number1Coach 01-17-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hound 109 (Post 6238581)
this post cracks me up on about three different levels.

BOT......Thanks for sharing Bryan's letter, Tennis 5 !

People crack up when their scared or don't understand something , so come back in 4 days 6hrs and 4mins and I will explain it to you .

tennis5 01-17-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Train to be a pro IF you want to play college tennis.

Ok, let me break it down, the first part...

Train to be a pro.

Hmmm, that would require 100% of my time as a junior.

So, let me drop out of school and do that 2 hour a thingy on the computer

so I am completely illiterate when I get to college.

Write a thesis, study physics, do trig, string a couple of words into a coherent sentence....

no, I can't do any of those things as I am training to be a pro.

Four years later, I am like 99.9% of the population, and the pros is out of my reach

(also I have no one to fund traveling for the year, another story in itself),

so, now time to go to college......

Gee, I have no study skills, and I am completely unprepared for the rigors of a demanding college.

chalkflewup 01-18-2012 05:54 AM

This article and video dates back about a year. No matter which side of the fence you sit on, I find the video fascinating. Once the video loads, press 1 to listen in Russian, press 2 to listen in French, press 3 to listen in German, etc... I'm not sure if there's an English speaking version. Enjoy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12561534

slice bh compliment 01-18-2012 06:21 AM

^Hahha, and it's the BBC...what do they know about English over there, haaah!

Well, glad you posted that. I had heard about it but missed it last year.

justinmadison 01-18-2012 06:56 AM

I just watched it and it is in English.

10ismom 01-18-2012 08:22 AM

Please excuse my ignorant about foreign college players.

Here is my question. Are there a lot of foreign college players in other sports, football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, track/field, ....etc?

Is the problem unique to tennis and tennis scholarships bleeding out to feed foreign recruits?
If the case is the worst for tennis,.....then is one of the reasons is... not enough American kids playing tennis (preferred other sports)???.... or college tennis coaches are so competitive and trying too hard to get great foreign recruits????.... and ignore our American junior tennis players that should fill up the spots first.

Perhaps, rules, quota or college coaches'attitude should change to PRO American kids more.

Just a thought!

Tennishacker 01-18-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 6238462)
True. But most of those who disagree will stop reading after your first sentence. If they do read will dismiss and ignore...........the facts.

Wrong.

Coaches got the bright idea (and cash) that why not give a scholarship to an foreign ex-pro who is several years older than an American freshman, who already knows how to do laundry, manage their time, have experience at the pro level, no need to develop the American, basically no hand holding by the coach.

These foreigners made life easy for the "lazy" American college coaches.

------------------------
Only one of two on TCF ignore list

slice bh compliment 01-18-2012 10:37 AM

I played college tennis in the late 80s. There were more and more guys from other countries. I liked it. They were cool. It was a really good level.

They now represent 2/3 of the ranked players. I read Wayne Bryan's article and I cannot help but agree, even though I would not have agreed with it a decade or two ago.

Sure, Stanford will dominate if it's all US kids. But it's about being a student-athlete and striving for that level. I want that for my kids. If it's not an option at a school that is an academic fit, that'll be tough.

But if we get all protectionist...and the level drops, is that really so bad for our youth? I think it'll inspire them to play well...rather than discourage them, which looks like it is the case now, according to Wayne Bryan.

Anyway, there might be something to the whole no scholarship for foreign players concept.

Either that or American kids embrace the DIII idea. And that might not happen in families with big conference affinities.

For my kids, I just hope they work hard at school, sports and emphasize character and effort. Praying that whatever is a good fit in HS and college will be wonderful.

donnymac10s 01-18-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis5 (Post 6238739)
Train to be a pro IF you want to play college tennis.

Ok, let me break it down, the first part...

Train to be a pro.

Hmmm, that would require 100% of my time as a junior.

So, let me drop out of school and do that 2 hour a thingy on the computer

so I am completely illiterate when I get to college.

Write a thesis, study physics, do trig, string a couple of words into a coherent sentence....

no, I can't do any of those things as I am training to be a pro.

Four years later, I am like 99.9% of the population, and the pros is out of my reach

(also I have no one to fund traveling for the year, another story in itself),

so, now time to go to college......

Gee, I have no study skills, and I am completely unprepared for the rigors of a demanding college.

Well, hey, "the world needs ditch-diggers too" (sorry for the Caddyshack reference but it fits). Foreigners don't seem to share the same concerns. Apparently, they are well prepared to do both. Maybe they're simply academically, mentally and athletically superior...