Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   USPTA player development conference ( the spanish way to develop players) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=409685)

Pro_Tour_630 01-18-2012 07:49 AM

USPTA player development conference ( the spanish way to develop players)

I will be attending this conference this weekend and will keep you updated on the latest. For sure i will be asking sanchez about the use of colored balls. :)

If anyone wants to meet up ( TCF et al...) please drop me an email.

http://www.sanchez-casal.com/adm/upl...1027104840.pdf

Number1Coach 01-18-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro_Tour_630 (Post 6240627)
I will be attending this conference this weekend and will keep you updated on the latest. For sure i will be asking sanchez about the use of colored balls. :)

If anyone wants to meet up ( TCF et al...) please drop me an email.

http://www.sanchez-casal.com/adm/upl...1027104840.pdf

I know all the top Spanish players right now (ATP) can you give me a small list of the top 15 spanish junior players in the ITF right now , curious how this style works .

Tennishacker 01-18-2012 09:15 AM

Wow, now we need to learn tennis from the Spaniards.

Bring back the "American Style" of tennis!

Number1Coach 01-18-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6240871)

First , No we don't need the Spanish to help us , as for the American style its on its way , tennis rolls in cycles, America has had men and women dominate at the same time Pete, Lindsey, Andre, Monica,Courier,Williams both ,John Mac ,Tracey,Jimbo ,Crissy and so on

The Spanish style does not do that .

chalkflewup 01-18-2012 10:11 AM

NC1 - I'm in total agreement with you.

SoCal10s 01-18-2012 10:13 AM

what we should be learning is how to beat the 'Spanish' style of play.. we need some good old Pete Sampras ,serve and volley .. good old Jimmy Conners line drives and American hustle ,good old American Andre Agassi drilling shots from all kinds of situations, or even some Andy Roddick big serve(plus a backhand and put-away volleys,which he doesn't have)and some good old hard nose tennis teacher like Robert Lansdrop to make it all happen again.. American tennis may be dead now,but it's not gone.. we just need the right people to see the light at the end of that tunnel

donnymac10s 01-18-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6240871)

True...what we need is for someone to teach us proper tennis parenting. The only thing that spaniards do differently is train hard all day every day. here we expect GS champions to emerge with minimal training.

Pro_Tour_630 01-18-2012 11:00 AM

ladies I did not create this thread to find out which way is better nor a P i s s i n g contest. This is only an educational thread.

This is the USPTA sponsoring this event, nothing wrong from learning different methods

chalkflewup 01-18-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro_Tour_630 (Post 6241230)
ladies I did not create this thread to find out which way is better nor a P i s s i n g contest. This is only an educational thread.

This is the USPTA sponsoring this event, nothing wrong from learning different methods

You can't be serious. You cannot be serious.

seminoleG 01-19-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro_Tour_630 (Post 6241230)

Agree:)

Now after we learn those methods what SYSTEM will let ALL players develop:oops:

From what I'm being told by those in the know (Parents of Juniors) maybe the USTA needs a conference on that.

We have several kids that used to train at Sanchez-Casal, they work hard and get to lots of balls. Seems like a good system

Number1Coach 01-19-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seminoleG (Post 6243808)
Agree:)

Now after we learn those methods what SYSTEM will let ALL players develop:oops:

From what I'm being told by those in the know (Parents of Juniors) maybe the USTA needs a conference on that.

We have several kids that used to train at Sanchez-Casal, they work hard and get to lots of balls. Seems like a good system

Who won the Junior French this last year , his name is not Spanish from what I can tell ?

tenniscp 01-19-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6244380)
Who won the Junior French this last year , his name is not Spanish from what I can tell ?

It s not Spanish, you are right. It is Italian

Rina 01-19-2012 06:27 PM

I think it is great to go and hear other perspectives and how different coaches do their job. As to Spanish being better, well, it seems that they are in "vogue" right now. Not so much 10 years ago. I think raising a tennis pro has more to do with parents than national programs. It may be that American parents are too easy on their kids today, or too giving and don't demand as much as parents from other countires. IMO. Also it you look at the parents of some of the US best players(some, not all) they have recent immigrant status. Some are first US born generation. Agassi has an Iranian born father, Sampras's mother born in Sicily, Seles- well she is naturalized talent and born in Yugoslavia. She and her Hungarian coach/father accomplished tons before she even came to us. She grew up in a city 1 hour away from where Djokovic was born in today's Serbia and was even "discovered" by the same coach. Chang-Taiwanese parents. There are of course many US tennis stars that don't have recent immigrant status, but at my son's academy majority of the kids playing have parents that speak English with an accent. Why this is so? No idea.
It would be great if you give us a recap about that they talked about.

Number1Coach 01-19-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenniscp (Post 6245471)
It s not Spanish, you are right. It is Italian

Is his first name German or Swedish or Polish ? the point is he is American.

The Spanish only have one thing right now the guys that are on top but they will be replaced soon by someone else . I just hope the USTA wont chase the next fad but look to America and learn how to recruit.

tball2day 01-19-2012 07:48 PM

chalkflewup 01-20-2012 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rina (Post 6245512)
I think it is great to go and hear other perspectives and how different coaches do their job. As to Spanish being better, well, it seems that they are in "vogue" right now. Not so much 10 years ago. I think raising a tennis pro has more to do with parents than national programs. It may be that American parents are too easy on their kids today, or too giving and don't demand as much as parents from other countires. IMO. Also it you look at the parents of some of the US best players(some, not all) they have recent immigrant status. Some are first US born generation. Agassi has an Iranian born father, Sampras's mother born in Sicily, Seles- well she is naturalized talent and born in Yugoslavia. She and her Hungarian coach/father accomplished tons before she even came to us. She grew up in a city 1 hour away from where Djokovic was born in today's Serbia and was even "discovered" by the same coach. Chang-Taiwanese parents. There are of course many US tennis stars that don't have recent immigrant status, but at my son's academy majority of the kids playing have parents that speak English with an accent. Why this is so? No idea.
It would be great if you give us a recap about that they talked about.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to start talking with an accent!

slice bh compliment 01-20-2012 02:02 AM

^LOL!
This man is not even kidding. In modern junior tennis...De accent, ja, ees worth et least a break per sett. Two iff you from Eastern Europe.

The only words I utter are hi and hallo...and I speak with the halting Christopher Walken Manhattan accent, so it's really nebulous. Most people assume I am either foreign or a little bit...off....and it is worth at least a set per match for my children. This was especially helpful in the 8 game pro sets in 10 and unders, haha.

I. Hope. to attend. MOST. if not ALL. of Their college. MATCHes, see. And if they are blessed enough to play de circuit. well I will BE there as well. And make it a point. to always SPEAK wid de opponents and they parents.

EDIT:
But seriously, Is Luis Mediero speaking? That guy is cool. I went to one of his things a few years ago. I really got a lot out of it as a player, as a coach and as a dad. As a player, i always looked up to Sergio Casal and Emilio Sanchez.
You know what's funny? The Spanish SYSTEM, as it is called, is really just a lot of hard work, hand-fed balls, and varied, all-court play with spins and angles, and good transitions. Mac and Connors would approve.

After you've gone, do post a summary or a review, PT630.

chalkflewup 01-20-2012 02:22 AM

Hallo - hilarious.

Rina 01-20-2012 03:50 AM

Why would I have to stop after the first sentence and watch what I am writing when nobody else on this forum does? Double standard much people??

Ash_Smith 01-20-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6240842)
I know all the top Spanish players right now (ATP) can you give me a small list of the top 15 spanish junior players in the ITF right now , curious how this style works .

Boys

61 ESTEVE LOBATO, Eduard
63 TOLEDO BAGUE, Pol
95 BIOSCA GIRVENT, David
129 GONZALEZ MUNIZ, Ignacio
213 BENITO HERGUETA, Carlos
233 BAUTISTA ENRIQUE, Carlos
353 PLA MALFEITO, Jaume ESP
428 ALCARAZ IVORRA, Albert
431 VEGA HERNANDEZ, David
439 SALA, Fernando
467 MARTOS GORNES, Sergio
468 TAJES ALONSO, Carlos
483 SALAZAR MARTIN, Jose Anton
492 AYALA HERNANDEZ, Antonio J.
498 SANJURJO HERMIDA, Adam

Of course, you could have just looked this up on the ITF site yourself. Oh, and to put it into perspective Rafa's highest ITF junior rank was 145, Lopez 46, Ferrero 17, Verdasco 294 and Ferrer didn't have a singles ranking at all. So, it doesn't really tell you anything about the 'system' if that's what you are driving at.

I've hit with David Vega as I know his coach and when he hits the ball it sounds like a canon going off, I could see him being a solid tour player at some point, assuming he has no set backs on his journey.

Cheers