Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   mentally forgetting a stroke? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=410756)

tenacitytennis 01-25-2012 01:06 PM

mentally forgetting a stroke?

I lost my forehand nine months ago and have just been experimenting in the process of trying to get it back. Everyone I ask says it was really weird but it worked for me and got me to a 5.0 level... now I have been concentrating on my forehand my backhand has also gotten worse due to not focusing on it. I don't have any videos and I don't have anyone who remembers exaclty how I hit it either. anything helps. thanks

TennisMaverick 01-25-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenacitytennis (Post 6269018)
I lost my forehand nine months ago and have just been experimenting in the process of trying to get it back. Everyone I ask says it was really weird but it worked for me and got me to a 5.0 level... now I have been concentrating on my forehand my backhand has also gotten worse due to not focusing on it. I don't have any videos and I don't have anyone who remembers exaclty how I hit it either. anything helps. thanks

This scenario is not unusual; it's not weird. Don't over-think it or it will get worse. Think of it as your FH has gone on vacation. Just relax on-court and wait until it gets back. Your situation is what baseball players typically refer to as the yips, and can lead to a slump. Over-focusing on it makes it worse and many times, permanent. One way to a cure it is to practice your strokes in front of a mirror for 5 min/day.

tenacitytennis 01-25-2012 04:17 PM

ok thanks its just been really hard in tournaments to relax

TennisMaverick 01-25-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenacitytennis (Post 6269628)
ok thanks its just been really hard in tournaments to relax

The more you do it in tourneys, the worse your situation will become, and the longer your FH will be on vacation, if it comes back at all. I would suggest not playing any events, and practice groundie games, over and over, concentrating on what you feel, without thinking about what your FH is doing. Concentrate on the stroke in front of the mirror only.

NLBwell 01-26-2012 02:09 AM

Just go out and drop-hit for an hour or two. Experiment with different hit points (maybe more out in front, closer or farther from your body, etc.) and different body positions (knee bend, more open or closed, etc.). Just try and be relaxed and have a relaxed motion. You may be able to re-find that natural motion - once if feels good again, then lots of reps to try to groove it.

tenacitytennis 01-27-2012 11:43 AM

Ok and what are some of the common things that lead to the yips? How can I make sure they don't ever come back

TennisMaverick 01-27-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenacitytennis (Post 6280311)
Ok and what are some of the common things that lead to the yips? How can I make sure they don't ever come back

Being too results orientated. Thinking about what will happen in the future, as opposed to what you are doing right now. "Just hit the bloody ball", as the Aussies used to say. Steffi gave great advice to Andre when he got the yips: "Don't think about how to hit it; just feel it". I've been giving that advice to my players when they get the yips for decades.

gregor.b 01-27-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisMaverick (Post 6280707)
Being too results orientated. Thinking about what will happen in the future, as opposed to what you are doing right now. "Just hit the bloody ball", as the Aussies used to say. Steffi gave great advice to Andre when he got the yips: "Don't think about how to hit it; just feel it". I've been giving that advice to my players when they get the yips for decades.

This one. If your technique is reasonably solid,it should not be too hard. Wail on the ball. See what happens. If it goes long,more spin or aim lower. If it goes short,either less spin or hit it harder. Then it is easy. Just don't over think it.