Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Spanish Way (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=410882)

EdVin70 01-26-2012 06:06 AM

The Spanish Way
 
Folks,

I'm considering a week at Sanchez Casal for my son and I summer of 2013. He's 9 (10 in November) and developing very well. I've had a racquet in his hand very arly and he has really started to come along. His groundies are up there with many of the youngsters I see on Youtube. I've not had him play in many tournaments but he plays matches regularly with older kids to include high school players. People are consistently surprised at how well he strikes the ball, I've seen him put plenty of teens on their heels.

Just as a FYI, I am not a big supporter of the USTA's current initiatives.

I am not his "coach", he's been working with Pride Evans here on St. Simons Island, GA but I hit with him constantly and supplement his training and stroke development. I'm a hitting partner mostly but I will do some bucket feeding and tweak when he is having trouble getting settled.

I am technically very strong and have taught tennis on and off for a long time. Part of my own committment to my son is to get into shape myself. I play on and off in a 4.0 league but should be playing at a higher level - too many years of the good life and friends who only golf.

This summer he will be attending the UGA boys camp at Athens. He's repeatedly expressed his desire to play tennis at the college level and beyond. We've left it entirely up to him whether to treat tennis as a hobby or something else - but we remind him that tennis demands allot of hard work.

I would like to take him to Barcelona to expose him to their method of training and the other juniors from all over the world. For my part, I want to attend their coaches program and get some insight into their philosophy and methods. Afterwards, I expect to take the lead in his development if he still feels committed to tennis.

So this is more of a combo deal, team development as it may be. In my mind its a bit of a shakedown to test his committment and also a way of setting the tone going forward, both in intensity and philosophy.

My wife is leaving this up to me - so I ask, I'm I nuts? Can I get the same if not more here in the US? I understand that Sanchez Casal may be on its way to becoming an IMG type mill but feel that they are best suited to develop the both of us from a coach and player perspective.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

chalkflewup 01-26-2012 07:02 AM

I am not qualified to make a clinical diagnosis as to your mental state, however; I don't think it's necessary to go to Spain to test the commitment of a 9 year old.

Pro_Tour_630 01-26-2012 07:13 AM

here is a poster who went to SC and did a beautiful slide show for us

https://sites.google.com/site/jmicha...s/tennisthings

my only comment is that if you are going to play on the red clay, the training is not only done on red clay it is 50/50 with hard courts.

I asked emilio sanchez this past weekend about this and he said, some Jr's have tournaments on HC and they need training on HC it is not only about red clay.

Anyway, the spanish way is developed by the RPT, you could have gone to the conference this past weekend in FL and learned "the spanish way", You can contact RPT and ask them when is the next conference, they have them throughout the world.

EdVin70 01-26-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 6274102)
I am not qualified to make a clinical diagnosis as to your mental state, however; I don't think it's necessary to go to Spain to test the commitment of a 9 year old.

I agree with you, but I meant it more as in addition to the actual training rather than a "gut check" per se.

EdVin70 01-26-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro_Tour_630 (Post 6274141)
here is a poster who went to SC and did a beautiful slide show for us

https://sites.google.com/site/jmicha...s/tennisthings

my only comment is that if you are going to play on the red clay, the training is not only done on red clay it is 50/50 with hard courts.

I asked emilio sanchez this past weekend about this and he said, some Jr's have tournaments on HC and they need training on HC it is not only about red clay.

Anyway, the spanish way is developed by the RPT, you could have gone to the conference this past weekend in FL and learned "the spanish way", You can contact RPT and ask them when is the next conference, they have them throughout the world.

Yes, I wish I was more on the ball about that conference and enjoyed your post. What about the player, do you think that there is advantage to being immersed in it - like basic training - at an academy or that the philosophy and methodology just be worked into the routine?

TennisMaverick 01-26-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdVin70 (Post 6273958)
test his committment and also a way of setting the tone going forward, both in intensity and philosophy.

My wife is leaving this up to me - so I ask, I'm I nuts? Can I get the same if not more here in the US? I understand that Sanchez Casal may be on its way to becoming an IMG type mill but feel that they are best suited to develop the both of us from a coach and player perspective.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

He's nine....what kinda commitment would do you expect?

I have been in therapy sessions with ranked players on many an occasion, and the youngest, was only 11, ranked #4 in the section, and ranked Top 50 nationally at the time. He finished his last year in the16's and 18's ranked #1, between 8-15 nationally all four years, and played #1 for a top SEC school for all four years. Even after college, he still had issues, and graduated having massive issue with his school, even after successfully competing in that position and being an All-American! His parents did not have the bank that you have, so they wanted commitment to put all of their eggs in one basket. I can tell you that the pressure for that commitment at 11, caused the kid all of his issues.

IMPO, just let your son play and have fun until the time comes when either everyone and their mother tells you that he is the next Andre Agassi or Michael Chang, or when his ranking is so as to have to specialize in tennis only. Then you can take him to the gods to train.

NLBwell 01-26-2012 08:57 PM

Sounds like a great father-son bonding trip he will always remember. This is assuming you will spend time together - I don't know how the camp is run.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse