Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   jr player's superstitions (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=411712)

fitmom 01-31-2012 04:31 AM

jr player's superstitions

http://parentingaces.com/2012/01/31/...-quirks-oh-my/

i really enjoyed hearing dr. fox's POV on why tennis players develop superstitions and rituals. hope it's useful info for the rest of you, too!

seminoleG 01-31-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitmom (Post 6295778)
http://parentingaces.com/2012/01/31/...-quirks-oh-my/

i really enjoyed hearing dr. fox's POV on why tennis players develop superstitions and rituals. hope it's useful info for the rest of you, too!

Rituals that are part of Habit patterns that foster good technique and preparation GREAT!

Rituals/Superstitions/Quirks for the sake of that Ritual/Superstition/Quirk IMHO is a CRUTCH to excuse poor performance.

No one every wins anything based on what they eat, what socks they wear, etc. No one loses because of what they eat, the color they wear etc.

My daughter tried because some kids in her academy to creat Rituals that had nothing to do with her tennis. I won't let her by into that. She tried same color Grip/Vib Damp/Tags on her bag, and I ensured we changed things (without her knowledge) to reinforce it is you not things it is YOU and how YOU prepare.

Yes she wears a hat not a visor, writs bands (2), and wants a vib Damp. But what color, which ones are not an issue as it doesn't matter.

SoCal10s 01-31-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seminoleG (Post 6295906)
Rituals that are part of Habit patterns that foster good technique and preparation GREAT!

No one loses because of what they eat, the color they wear etc.

actually you can very much lose because what you eat or don't eat before matches.. you better take in the correct foods the night before and the day of a tough match or day ahead ...

wearing black on a hot sunny day is not really a good idea...

fitmom 01-31-2012 10:29 AM

i think the point dr. fox is making is that the act of having the ritual or superstition or quirk provides the sense of control necessary in a sport where so much is out of the player's own control but rather dependent on the opponent and playing conditions. the ritual provides stress relief so that the player doesn't feel the need to go to a "harmful" form of relief such as tanking a match. i find all this stuff very interesting!

Kenny022593 01-31-2012 10:54 AM

I don't know if this would fit in here, but my Statistics teacher in high school was telling us that there was a study done that showed players tend to win more when they wear red. If I googled for it, I could probably find it, but I am too lazy.

seminoleG 01-31-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal10s (Post 6296531)
actually you can very much lose because what you eat or don't eat before matches.. you better take in the correct foods the night before and the day of a tough match or day ahead ...

wearing black on a hot sunny day is not really a good idea...

OK I didn't figure we need to fill in all the white space. Yes you can't eat HOT WINGS @730am, and Wearing Winter Warm up in Boca is probably not a good idea.

But to wear the SAME color hat for every match in May, or Eat the same breakfast before every match (not so for practice) is a bit OCD.

That said stress relievers are good to a point. When they become OCD type things its a problem.

arche3 01-31-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny022593 (Post 6296637)
I don't know if this would fit in here, but my Statistics teacher in high school was telling us that there was a study done that showed players tend to win more when they wear red. If I googled for it, I could probably find it, but I am too lazy.

I'm only wearing red tennis outfits from this day forward.....

SoCal10s 01-31-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 6296751)
I'm only wearing red tennis outfits from this day forward.....

it worked for Tiger Woods on Sundays for at least 10 years ...

maggmaster 01-31-2012 05:26 PM

Don't all tennis players have their things? I mean its all pointless but we have them . The comfort alone brings mental benefit.

wings56 02-02-2012 08:58 AM

i know for myself, a lot of it comes from what happened when I won or played well in a big match. always trying to recreate everything that happened when my best tennis was played. I tend to try to repeat the success. and you can forget shaving after winning that first round... haha

canny 02-05-2012 08:53 AM

for me as a junior when ever i have a good day I try my best to recreate everything that happened to have that performance consistently. It's a mental things. But winning is mental.