Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Prince EXO3 Warrior 100 Review (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=412210)

JackB1 02-03-2012 07:06 PM

EXO3 Warrior 100 Review & Home of "The Warriors"

OK, I just got a demo of the new Prince Warrior 100. Plan on hitting with it tomorrow if it stays dry enough!!! I never liked the Prince Black but this new offering is intriguing. Nice mid stiffness level of 64 with perfect "players-tweener" specs of 11oz, 320 sw and 24 beam. The specs are almost identical to my regular racquet...the Becker DC Pro, so I should feel right at home with it almost immediately.

I weighed my racquet and it was 328 grams with dampener and overgrip. Came in at 4 1/2 pts headlite. It swings quicker through the air than my Becker...probably due to the O-ports. I will try it stock first, but I am thinking it may need a little lead to keep it from feeling too "whippy". My demo is strung with full Prince Lightning XX and I think I am the first to get this demo...it looks unused. The paintjob is OK....mostly black with some white and silver. Not a flashy look, but not ugly either. I wonder if u can get this racquet with the regular string holes on the sides, as opposed to the port holes? I just hate stringing racquets with the port holes!

Stay tuned! More to come! If anyone else has hit with this racquet already, please let me know what your thought were.

737Capt 02-03-2012 07:45 PM

I would like to hear how your demo goes. I play occasionally with a Prince Black while I'm away from home and I'm curious how they compare?

JackB1 02-04-2012 04:29 PM

ok I got to play 2 sets today with the warrior and its a nice racquet. Wasn't as whippy as I thought it was going to be and it felt pretty solid stock and I don't think I would add any weight to it. The beam is a little thicker than I would like and it the racquet does feel a little large and clunky. For some reason the hoop looks bigger than other 100" racquets. The racquet has a nice combination of power and control. Not quite as powerful as my Becker, but no slouch either. Spin was easy to get with the very open pattern and round shaped head. I hit some nice kickers with it, but couldn't get the same pace as normal on flatter serves. Feel was in the middle...not too flexy and not too stiff.
Really liked this racquet from the baseline. Groundstrokes felt good and you didn't have to work too hard to maintain depth. Volleys were very good and the racquet felt nice and solid on punch volleys.

I think this racquet could fit a wide variety of players and would be a great choice for 3.5-4.0 players. I think this is a nice upgrade from the EXO3 Black and White.

JackB1 02-05-2012 04:22 PM

played some more today...I think this racquet will be a big hit with intermediate players. Seems to do everything well. I could definitely switch to this racquet and not miss a beat. Problem is it really doesn't do anything BETTER than my current racquet, but its very close. I may pick one up down the line so I can try it with my own strings.

if anyone has any questions about the Warrior, I would be happy to answer.

NYCtennis1 02-05-2012 05:04 PM

Just wondering how freely you were able to swing when flattening out on groundies? Also if you were to put some lead on the frame, where do you feel it most needs some?

Thanks

JackB1 02-05-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCtennis1 (Post 6307637)
Just wondering how freely you were able to swing when flattening out on groundies? Also if you were to put some lead on the frame, where do you feel it most needs some?

Thanks

Lead would be a personal thing. I didn't think it needed any.

I usually don't hit totally flat, but I was able to swing pretty freely on groundies, but it is a powerful frame like the Aeropro Drive or Head Extreme.

Centryx 02-05-2012 06:53 PM

how would you compare it to the exo tour 100?

un6a 02-06-2012 03:52 AM

This frame is indeed very interesting. I really like Black, but it is a bit heavy for me. Warrior looks like perfect tweener. I hope i will get chance to try it.

JackB1 02-06-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centryx (Post 6307759)
how would you compare it to the exo tour 100?

not as demanding

more powerful

not as muted and soft feeling

lighter swinging

JackB1 02-06-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by un6a (Post 6308223)
This frame is indeed very interesting. I really like Black, but it is a bit heavy for me. Warrior looks like perfect tweener. I hope i will get chance to try it.

It really is the perfect tweener....much like my extremely underrated Becker Pro.

Jocke 02-06-2012 10:55 AM

How would you say it is in terms of arm-friendlyness?

El Diablo 02-06-2012 11:00 AM

I had two hits with the racquet and I'd say it's strengths are serve (excellent), groundstrokes and comfort (very plush, though balls hit very high in the stringbed transmit some distinctive feel). I was less smitten with volleys, felt some flutter you'd anticipate with a racquet barely north of 11 ounces, some lead-on-the-head might be nice.

JackB1 02-06-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocke (Post 6308979)
How would you say it is in terms of arm-friendlyness?

felt very comfortable to me. I think its rated in the low 60's,
I would say this racquet would be safe for all but the most sensitive elbows.

hduong 02-12-2012 08:51 PM

I got this as a slightly more powerful alternative to my Dunlop 4D 300. After a few hours, I agree, it's a great tweener racket for 3.5+ players. I especially like it for the serve and two handed backhand. Good pace and depth. Was also able to swing freely without hitting long all the time. Moderate power and heavy enough to be able to return harder hit serves and ground strokes from 3.5 4.0 players. Timing was a bit off on the forehand as the swing speed felt a big sluggish. Maybe due to the thickness of the frame. It's also easy on the arms and shoulders. Mine was strung with full gut at 58lbs which helps. It's a keeper for me.

JackB1 02-13-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hduong (Post 6322767)
I got this as a slightly more powerful alternative to my Dunlop 4D 300. After a few hours, I agree, it's a great tweener racket for 3.5+ players. I especially like it for the serve and two handed backhand. Good pace and depth. Was also able to swing freely without hitting long all the time. Moderate power and heavy enough to be able to return harder hit serves and ground strokes from 3.5 4.0 players. Timing was a bit off on the forehand as the swing speed felt a big sluggish. Maybe due to the thickness of the frame. It's also easy on the arms and shoulders. Mine was strung with full gut at 58lbs which helps. It's a keeper for me.

I don't find it sluggish at all...rather whippy through the air due to the o-ports.
Really liking this frame a lot.

JackB1 02-17-2012 07:29 AM

I am not sure why this frame isn't generating more interest? The new Rebel 98 seems to be getting all the praise, but this new Warrior 100 deserves as much,if not more attention. Its more powerful than the Rebel98 and doesn't require as fast a swing. It also feels more solid than the Rebel on impact and can be used very well in stock form. Its not too stiff and not too flexy...very comfortable. I really can't find anything to not like about it. Where's the love people? :-)

Maybe its because TW hasn't reviewed it yet?

sansaephanh 02-17-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6332108)
I am not sure why this frame isn't generating more interest? The new Rebel 98 seems to be getting all the praise, but this new Warrior 100 deserves as much,if not more attention. Its more powerful than the Rebel98 and doesn't require as fast a swing. It also feels more solid than the Rebel on impact and can be used very well in stock form. Its not too stiff and not too flexy...very comfortable. I really can't find anything to not like about it. Where's the love people? :-)

Maybe its because TW hasn't reviewed it yet?

Yeah, tweener rackets are under appreciated in general, but its probably cause the Rebel 98 shares its name with a great players frame.

JackB1 02-17-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaephanh (Post 6332227)
Yeah, tweener rackets are under appreciated in general, but its probably cause the Rebel 98 shares its name with a great players frame.

I currently have both and play with lots of other 3.5s to 4.5s, teammates, etc., and EVERY one that has tried both liked the Warrior much better.

athiker 02-17-2012 09:45 AM

This would be a racquet I would be interested in, but I as a home stringer I have shied away from all Prince frames. How has it been to string? Did you order one of those space filling thingies? I use a Klippermate and while is used have a pin of some sort I believe to act as a brake it no longer does...though I guess I could find something to fit. Just don't feel like adding hassle to what is already a bit time consuming. Thoughts as a fellow home stringer?

JackB1 02-17-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athiker (Post 6332469)
This would be a racquet I would be interested in, but I as a home stringer I have shied away from all Prince frames. How has it been to string? Did you order one of those space filling thingies? I use a Klippermate and while is used have a pin of some sort I believe to act as a brake it no longer does...though I guess I could find something to fit. Just don't feel like adding hassle to what is already a bit time consuming. Thoughts as a fellow home stringer?

I hear ya, but its not that bad to string. It only comes into play on about half of the crosses and the ports actually make some things easier, like threading the strings through and also pulling the cross string slack through.

I didn't order a boomerang yet and have been using my turntable brake, but you just need something to stick in there to space out the string. Some use a sharpie cap, some use socket wrench extensions, some also use an S-hook, which I want to try next. Look for the thread about Prince O Ports in the stringing section. Lots of great tips. I don't think that should keep you from trying this outstanding racquet.

Edit: here's the thread http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=409672