Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2012 BLX Pro Open...? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=412220)

99%out 02-04-2012 12:00 AM

2012 BLX Pro Open...?

I am a sponsored Wilson pro, and love the wilson blx pro open. I have had them since released year or so back, (imho the most overlooked stick in all of racquets). I Called wilson to order a couple of the existing ones, and to my surprise none in stock because of the "new 2012 Pro open. They said it has the larger port holes, I was a little upset to here this because I feel while it may increase the sweetspot it may be too powerful, any one able to get there hands on one yet and could explain the differences if any?

Fed6.1 02-04-2012 03:29 AM

I am also really interested in this racquet and how it plays compared to a pure drive

BlakeAF 02-04-2012 03:50 AM

Yeah i am not sure if they are trying to change it because the juice 100 has similar stats and they are pushing juice. I love juice pro, much more than pro tour, but the pro open is better than juice 100.

The new pro open i have seen priced at 159 instead of 189 which makes me feel more like they are phasing it out or something.

Here is a pic http://www.google.com/search?q=2012+...twfD5KH5Dw#i=6

Teski 02-04-2012 07:17 AM

You can see it right here on TW:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...LSON-WPOB.html

BlakeAF 02-04-2012 11:02 AM

I went to a Wilson demo today at PGA Tour Superstore and the Wilson rep had one of the 2012 Pro Opens. I spoke to him about it and he said it was exactly the same. I asked more about details like grommits, etc. and he said as far as he knew it was simply an updated paint job. Exact same technology, and maybe this is why it is at $159.99.

I got to hit with it, but the strings were NXT and a little worn, and we were hitting with a machine in a line of about 15 people at the back of the court (about 3 feet off the court) and the machine was going deep. Also there were a lot of pretty girls making me nervous haha. Anyways it felt the same. Felt real nice and smooth. I can imagine with my string setup it would be just like my 2011 Pro Open. It hit better than the Juice 100 to me.

I took a picture of the stats on the racket:

Chyeaah 02-04-2012 12:55 PM

YES. lucky i got the old one the new one looks so bad.

Wait the new one is stiffer and lighter on TW? or is that just wilsons QC

Cup8489 02-04-2012 02:06 PM

God, that is an ugly frame.

canuckfan 02-04-2012 06:31 PM

BlakeAF, I see that the steam 100 was also at the demo. Did you hit with it, and if so, what did you think?

Seth 02-04-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cup8489 (Post 6305617)

It's like they tried to marry the BLX and nCode motifs and ended up with an inbred paintjob.

un6a 02-05-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cup8489 (Post 6305617)

90% of Wilson racquets looks ugly so no surprise here

BlakeAF 02-05-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckfan (Post 6305938)
BlakeAF, I see that the steam 100 was also at the demo. Did you hit with it, and if so, what did you think?

I didn't hit it at the demo, but I did demo it a few days before. The first two rackets I demo'd were the steam and juice 100 looking for a compliment to my pro open. At first I didn't like the steam because of paint and 27.25 length. The juice was more like the pro open. I didn't really like either more than my pro open.

Then I tried the juice pro and it was like magic with a new poly hybrid setup. I couldn't put it down. I found my weight lifting hitting partner could no longer push me around at net or with first serves, and while the pro tour felt uncomfortable this just felt right. IMO this is the most improved racket of 2012 from Wilson although I never hit with pro staffs before these demos.

After going back I could not enjoy the juice 100. It was too much power, and not as controlled as my pro open. Now that I was used to the 27.25 length of the juice pro (really only took 30 mins of hitting) I tried the steam again. This time it wasn't so bad, but I really only enjoyed serving and hitting long casual rallies. It was easy to hit with, great for an older guy I hit with, and more comfortable on 2 hand backhands with the added length. I got pushed around again, but once dialing it in I didn't dislike it as much.

I really enjoyed the pro staff 95, but found the juice pro to be more suited to m as a clear transition from the pro open. The pro staff 100 just baffled me. The 95 was extremely popular at the demo. I saw at least 6 people buy them and the three strongest players there picked them up and hogged them the whole time. They all imitated federer.

I bought the juice pro with alu power full bed @45 lbs. next most popular was juice 100 the. Steam 100.

The juice pro seems to be an under looked racket, but I can't recommend trying it enough especially to pro open players who might get pushed around a little or find a bit too much power. It was comparable to the new roddick, but felt better to me.

JackB1 02-05-2012 08:11 AM

it doesn't appear to be exactly the same model as the last one. It is several points more stiff, which could add a little power. I really liked the BLX Pro Open and it was a close battle between it and the Becker DC Pro and I only took the Becker because it served better for me. If they upped the lower a little on the Pro Open, that might give me more power on my serves? Might be worth a try for me.

99%out 02-05-2012 01:36 PM

How would you compare the Pro Open and the Juice?

BlakeAF 02-05-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99%out (Post 6307355)
How would you compare the Pro Open and the Juice?

Very similar, but the juice felt a bit more powerful and just a bit off in all categories. Very similar, but I liked the pro open better from everywhere on the court. I would say it was strings but I hit the pro open and juice 100 with equally mediocre strings. There was just something that clicked with the pro open and I feel just like the op about it. The juice pro has that same feel for me but with a different style racket. The new pro open has it too, and honestly it felt exactly the same to me as 2011. I felt right at home.

Summary I freaking love pro open 2011 and 2012 they just feel right, and I feel the same about the juice pro (96 in head, heavier) for a diff style. Juice and steam were solid but missed something for me.

99%out 02-06-2012 06:28 PM

great to hear, I am the op, and a user of the Pro Open. I have always loved it from all aspects of the court. I also can't help but think if it was called the pure drive and the pure drive was called the pro open, the "pure drive" would be all over the courts...if that makes sense. People need to give this frame a chance, because it's better in every aspect of the game vs the pure drive. But people look at babolat and think they are better. (this is coming from a previous babolat sponsored player using the roddick) But am I correct in saying you think the original plays just like the 2012? My wilson rep told me it has the bigger grommets. But who knows. Maybe I should just stock up on the older PO's. Unfortunately have to pay for them. also what is your string experiences? 45lbs sounds kind of crazy low!

BlakeAF 02-07-2012 05:06 AM

Yeah when I first started demo'ing the first racquets I got to demo were the Aero Pro and Pure Drive because they were so highly hyped and seemed like the cool kids racquets with local players. When I tried the Pro Open though it was love at first hit.

I have played the 2011 Pro Open with a full bed of synthetic gut @ 57 lbs, a hybrid wilson champions duo @ 54/58 lbs, a full bed of poly @ 54 and 45 lbs, and all setups felt great really. Something about this stick... More recently though my local pro has had me using full bed of poly at lower weights (45 lbs). It extends string life, elbow life, and in general plays great. If money or stringing inconvenience weren't issues I would always roll with the nice hybrid setup. Poly at low tensions seems to be getting more and more popular, and you can check out some blog posts @

http://ggtennis.wordpress.com/2011/03/17/the-definitive-guide-to-stringing-polys-and-co-polys/

http://ggtennis.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/the-definitive-guide-to-playing-with-low-tension-polys/

It is a matter of preference really. I find the stick handles so well with whatever setup. When I hit the 2012 Pro Open it was stock nxt 16 that had been worn out already, but luckily the 2011 Pro Open they had the demo had equally worn out strings so I could compare them. They felt identical, and I felt right at home with the 2012.

I had read your post before I went to the demo and I specifically asked the rep about any changes, including grommits, and he said as far as he knew it was simply a new paint job and reduced price (159 vs 189). Honestly though, he may not have known as he was a bit of a salesman. All I know is it felt identical. The store is supposed to get some in early next week and they will string one up with a nice hybrid setup and they are going to call me when they come in so I will give it a try and see if I notice anything. I will try to get pictures of more details.

You can try the Juice 100, but it wasn't the same magical combination for me. The only new racquets I really enjoyed were the 2012 Pro Open and Juice Pro.

equinox 02-08-2012 11:47 AM

A truly awful paintjob, makes my four npro opens look positively beautiful.

Buy 2011 model. 2012 is an unacceptable paintjob.

bowchikawow 02-08-2012 12:56 PM

Haha that is the ugliest looking racket I have ever seen. Nice contrast with the crisp new BLX Pro Staff frames..even they are not that nice either.
If feli Lopez has to use this frame, I wonder is Judy will still be able to look at him.

SFrazeur 02-08-2012 09:42 PM

Looks like the "Open" replaced the "Surge" and the "Juice" is replacing the "Open" in it's high tier status.

-SF

Power Player 02-09-2012 08:20 PM

Jack, do you mod ur beckers or pro opens when you had them?

I feel like this could be a slept on frame for sure. Not so stiff, wilson grip shape, and more control than a pd.