Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Coed 10 and under? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=412751)

tacoben 02-08-2012 10:41 AM

Coed 10 and under?

I noticed that many of the local tournments running the new 10 and under mandate is disproportionately more boys than girls. In a local tourney that I looked at, there is only one girls signed up and about 7-8 boys. In all likelyhood, the girls will not be able to play. What are your thoughts on having the 10 and under green ball event become a coed event?

Pro_Tour_630 02-08-2012 11:07 AM

Well according to TCF girls are smarter than boys. Girls want to work on development while boys want trophies :)

Seriously, I noticed the same. I wish boys and girls will play each other in U10 since it is all fun also add ref on every court and every one can cheer/coach all they want.

Yes i am all for coed green ball. The top girls are more consistent than the boys and the playing fields are more even, but with regulation I do not like to see coed.

BMC9670 02-08-2012 11:42 AM

I think it would be great, especially if the alternative is not enough players. My 9YO son plays in club round robins that are 12 and under coed (regulation). Good mix of boys and girls and it works fine. Physical and social issues are not really an issue at that age so I think it makes sense.

seminoleG 02-08-2012 04:51 PM

We played Team Tennis and my daughter played all boys except one club insisted no CO-ED. The boys were friendly and nice.

I'm for CO-ED for all novice/rookie level tennis.

seminoleG 02-09-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacoben (Post 6313302)
I noticed that many of the local tournments running the new 10 and under mandate is disproportionately more boys than girls. In a local tourney that I looked at, there is only one girls signed up and about 7-8 boys. In all likelyhood, the girls will not be able to play. What are your thoughts on having the 10 and under green ball event become a coed event?

Not to beat that horse up again. Had they rolled out 10U for the consumers vice everyone else USTA would have known this. Because they'd done some research/polling that would have told them what you, I, and every one involved with kids under 12 sees.

BMC9670 02-09-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seminoleG (Post 6314705)
Not to beat that horse up again. Had they rolled out 10U for the consumers vice everyone else USTA would have known this. Because they'd done some research/polling that would have told them what you, I, and every one involved with kids under 12 sees.

Just the other day I got a email survey from the USTA about junior tennis... how long after it's been in place??

seminoleG 02-09-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 6314880)
Just the other day I got a email survey from the USTA about junior tennis... how long after it's been in place??

Good for you. Maybe in the Comments you could include a survey BEFORE implementation might be a good start:confused: