Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Babolat Pure Drive Roddick 2012 REVIEW! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=412829)

holytennis 02-09-2012 04:57 AM

Babolat Pure Drive Roddick 2012 REVIEW!

Hello Everybody. Played with my friends new Babolat pure drive Roddick today. Only for about half hour though. First thing i notice is how much spin this racket can generate. It was also loaded with Power, and i felt the feel was WAY BETTER and softer than the older Pure Drive Roddick GT. Sweet Spot seemed a bit bigger. Serving with this was just amazing. My serves were definitely 10-12 Km faster with this than my current stick. Power was great on groundies and i did not over hit a lot, because the racket creates soo much spin. But one thing i noticed was my elbow was feeling a bit tender after serving. No pain while hitting Ground Strokes though. Volleys and Smashes were great too. I would have switched to this frame if my arm wasn't feeling tender. Anyway If the guy turns up tomorrow, i'll see if i can try it again.

BTW, Been looking at the Prince exo3 tour 100, can anyone post their thoughts on it here please?

Nostradamus 02-09-2012 05:10 AM

^^ What was your racket strung with ? I got some demos and i am going to playtest it this Saturday. but these are strung with babolat addiction.

holytennis 02-09-2012 05:17 AM

No idea, did not ask my friend.. will tell you tomorrow... :) I'm guessing its RPM Blast.

Teski 02-09-2012 06:45 AM

Why would you distract this thread with EXO Tour comments? Let this one live as a PDR thread and go ahead and create an EXO Tour thread or read one of the many threads that already exist here. There's a ton on that stick already. :-)

holytennis 02-09-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teski (Post 6315003)
Why would you distract this thread with EXO Tour comments? Let this one live as a PDR thread and go ahead and create an EXO Tour thread or read one of the many threads that already exist here. There's a ton on that stick already. :-)

Good Point.. :-P

Yourtenniscoach 02-09-2012 08:33 AM

To the OP: the Prince EXO3 Tour is about a polar opposite of the PDR as you can get. I tried using the EXO3 Tour after playing with the APDGT and it literally felt like a noodle. I had a fresh bed of string and all and I could hardly hit the ball. Just felt like mush!

holytennis 02-09-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yourtenniscoach (Post 6315206)
To the OP: the Prince EXO3 Tour is about a polar opposite of the PDR as you can get. I tried using the EXO3 Tour after playing with the APDGT and it literally felt like a noodle. I had a fresh bed of string and all and I could hardly hit the ball. Just felt like mush!

Thanks for your feedback. I will most probably buy the pure drive roddick, and maybe get a TE strap to reduce the pain.

ollinger 02-09-2012 01:41 PM

^^ A study published last year found TE straps of no particular benefit, actually found better results for TE prevention if you wore a wrist splint all day.

Yourtenniscoach 02-09-2012 02:25 PM

Use much softer strings! Stay away from the polys!

holytennis 02-10-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6315859)
^^ A study published last year found TE straps of no particular benefit, actually found better results for TE prevention if you wore a wrist splint all day.

Are kinesio tapes any good then?

holytennis 02-10-2012 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yourtenniscoach (Post 6315929)
Use much softer strings! Stay away from the polys!

Like which soft strings?

Yourtenniscoach 02-10-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holytennis (Post 6316829)
Like which soft strings?

Use Syn guts like Gosen OG Micro or a good multi like Babolat Xcel.

Dgdavid 02-10-2012 05:03 AM

So, is this a Tweener frame or a Players frame (and does that even matter?). Just got really into the new IG Prestige MP but notice a lot of attention on the PD Roddick (here and the internet in general). Lots of NRTP 5.0 comments seem to love it and obviously the Pros that use it. Intrigued by this, 4.5 myself. Can you go for hard flat winners with the PD Roddick?

Teski 02-10-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgdavid (Post 6316987)
Can you go for hard flat winners with the PD Roddick?

Yes, you absolutely can. That's what I've been loving about this stick. While it is a powerful racket, I don't feel like I have to have Nadal-like spin to keep the ball in and yet I can flatten out and smash a nice winner when I want.

BTW, I'm a 3.5 on the verge of 4.0 and don't have any problem handling this one.

Dgdavid 02-10-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teski (Post 6317121)
Yes, you absolutely can. That's what I've been loving about this stick. While it is a powerful racket, I don't feel like I have to have Nadal-like spin to keep the ball in and yet I can flatten out and smash a nice winner when I want.

BTW, I'm a 3.5 on the verge of 4.0 and don't have any problem handling this one.

Bah! Now I'm gonna have to get one. Another 145. Why oh why did I unwrap the Prestige Mid when I knew it wasnt for me? Could have sent that back, kept my Midpluses and got a Pure Drive without guilt. Is the PD Roddick the best of the new ones (Rod GT and the two standards).

holytennis 02-10-2012 08:20 AM

@dgdavid There are tons of rackets that keep coming out all the time. Be happy with your ig pretige mp, it is a real solid frame. The babolat may have more power and spin, but the feel from the prestige is heaven(not that the feel from the babolat is bad, its awesome!)

holytennis 02-10-2012 08:28 AM

dgdavid, are you seriously a MD of a software company? No wonder you buy every new racket thats coming out.. :-P

Dgdavid 02-10-2012 08:35 AM

:rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by holytennis (Post 6317511)
dgdavid, are you seriously a MD of a software company? No wonder you buy every new racket thats coming out.. :-P

And a terribly impulsive personality. Must. Have. Newest. Shiny. Thing.
If it wasn't a smallish company, I'd feel less guilty! All I need now is an Apple iRacket and I'm in sorted!

holytennis 02-10-2012 08:40 AM

Haha, since your at it anyway, try the new wilson blx six one. But i strongly suggest you stick to a racket, and not try anything else for the next 1 year at least.

Dgdavid 02-10-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holytennis (Post 6317535)
Haha, since your at it anyway, try the new wilson blx six one. But i strongly suggest you stick to a racket, and not try anything else for the next 1 year at least.

Good advice. I do like it a lot. One step and a time....no new rackets until after Easter and see how I go!