Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Good Resort in Phoenix AZ for tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=412841)

achokshi99 02-09-2012 06:47 AM

Good Resort in Phoenix AZ for tennis

Hi everyone, sort of last minute trip but my wife (2.5 beginner) and me (4.5 TE afflicted) are going to Phoenix to use an expiring credit on jetblue from fri night - tues. so basically we have 3 days in az, would like to do a trip to the grand canyon but then have 1-2 days of tennis on the resort we're staying at. any recommendations. we have looked at the jw marriott desert ridge, boulders waldor astoria...are those good for the two of us. would like my wife to get some real instruction and i wouldnt mind a few lessons too.

njsigman 02-09-2012 09:44 AM

Check out this resort.

http://www.wildhorsepassresort.com/

And Josh Bates is an awesome instructor.

www.batestennis.com

GMay 02-09-2012 10:42 AM

Josh Bates is a good instructor but I would not recommend Wild Horse Pass. Stayed there last Summer for a weekend staycation and was quite disappointed. The room actually had an odd swampy, very damp feel to it. Also, not good restaurants plus there were a lot, a lot, a lot of kids around.

If you want to stay up in Scottsdale try calling Scottsdale Ranch Park Tennis Center (public facility) to see if any of the pros there are available for a lesson.

NMTennis 11-04-2012 12:32 PM

Sorry to revive a slightly old thread...
Likely going to a conference at Mayo Scottsdale in Mid January. Would like suggestions on resorts not too far away that has some tennis and things for my wife to do...The weekend we are there the Arizona Biltmore seems reasonable, curious on people's take on it?
Thanks in advance...

jamauss 11-04-2012 02:04 PM

I live in the Phoenix area.

The Biltmore is decent - I think the Phoenix Country Club is there. I haven't played there recently though. There is also the Carefree resort up in northern Scottsdale (Carefree). I've played there a few times and know the pro there and he's a good guy.

NMTennis 11-04-2012 06:44 PM

Thanks for your input. Looking at something a bit closer into phoenix - although to be honest, do not really know the lay of the land. My wife would like to do some shopping and whatnot, so more in Phoenix or Scottsdale would be desirable...
Thanks again...

goober 11-04-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMTennis (Post 6994600)
Sorry to revive a slightly old thread...
Likely going to a conference at Mayo Scottsdale in Mid January. Would like suggestions on resorts not too far away that has some tennis and things for my wife to do...The weekend we are there the Arizona Biltmore seems reasonable, curious on people's take on it?
Thanks in advance...

When you say Mayo Scottsdale I assume you are talking about the main hospital

The 2 closest resorts with decent tennis are Marriott Desert Ridge and Princess Fairmont. Both are about 5 minute drives from Mayo . Desert Ridge has 8 courts and some clinics/lessons. Several Mens and ladies teams also play out of there. The Princess has 5 courts and a good head pro. You can arrange privates but not too much as far as clinics going on. There is a doubles round robin that resort guests are allowed to play in on Saturdays.

If you are talking about the Mayo Campus on Shea, that is basically at the border of fountain hills. Not much out that way. Scottsdale Ranch park is probably the closest facility but it is a public tennis center. Copperwynd in fountain hills is pretty close, but the tennis scene is kind of dead from what I can gather.

PrimeChoice 11-05-2012 10:30 AM

I went out with a girl with the last name Mayo. She dissapeared. Her family was "The Mayo Clinic" haaha

The desert is dry. Don't you find it annoying to play outdoor tennis?

NMTennis 11-05-2012 04:08 PM

Goober and Jamauss = Thank you again. The conference is at the Mayo Clinic Education center - I believe it is on the the main hospital campus.

Looked at the two places you mentioned Goober, but both more than I am willing to spend. Three that look reasonable include the Arizona Biltmore, Intercontinental or RItz Carlton. Are these a reasonable distance to Mayo? What is you take on these places?
Thanks again... I really appreciate it since I don't know these places...

goober 11-05-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMTennis (Post 6997202)
Goober and Jamauss = Thank you again. The conference is at the Mayo Clinic Education center - I believe it is on the the main hospital campus.

Looked at the two places you mentioned Goober, but both more than I am willing to spend. Three that look reasonable include the Arizona Biltmore, Intercontinental or RItz Carlton. Are these a reasonable distance to Mayo? What is you take on these places?
Thanks again... I really appreciate it since I don't know these places...

Well you should make sure which place is the correct one because one is like 30 minutes away from the other. The one that is further away will greatly limit what tennis choices you have- but it depends what you are looking for tenniswise.

I am surprised that the Biltmore and Ritz Carlton are more expensive? The Marriott is definitely a lower end hotel compared to those two. I don't know much about the tennis scene at any of those places- no USTA teams play out of there that I know of. I am going to guess the tennis scene is limited. Both are about 25-35 minutes away from main hospital and close to 50-60 minutes away from the clinic.

jamauss 11-11-2012 09:10 PM

Make sure you call first if you consider the Princess Fairmont. I think they might have closed up the tennis there after being bought out by another company. At least that's what I heard from the guy that *was* the pro there. Has Indian School Park been mentioned yet? It's only about a 15-20 minute drive south and it's pretty cheap for court time there.

goober 11-12-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamauss (Post 7009939)
Make sure you call first if you consider the Princess Fairmont. I think they might have closed up the tennis there after being bought out by another company. At least that's what I heard from the guy that *was* the pro there. Has Indian School Park been mentioned yet? It's only about a 15-20 minute drive south and it's pretty cheap for court time there.

Tennis is definitely still going on at the Princess Fairmont. I take my son for lessons there :)

Indian School park is a public tennis center. If you are on vacation, I am going to guess it is not the best place to play unless you already know somebody you are going to hit with. Their drop in program is dead, the few times I have gone. They had a couple 65+ year old 3.0 players show up. Their clinics are something you have to sign up for way ahead of time for the entire session. You could probably hit with a teaching pro though.

jamauss 11-12-2012 01:12 PM

Is the Princess Fairmont the one at Pima Rd/Princess Dr in Northern Scottsdale right off the 101? Maybe there's more than one and I'm thinking of the wrong place.

rufus_smith 11-12-2012 03:28 PM

seems like staying the Residence Inn hotel on the Mayo campus at a moderate price would be something to consider.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...at-Mayo-Clinic

High end and mid-priced Shopping centers are nearby but you'll need a rental car probably

For tennis playing you'll need to specify what level you want to play at, doubles or singles, and/or if you want lessons, group or private.

yemenmocha 11-12-2012 05:55 PM

Fairmont Princess is the most convenient spot for what you're asking and they don't nickel & dime for tennis fees like the Marriott. Also the Marriott is open to the public for a fee per use basis, whereas the Princess is for resort guests and local tennis members only.

The Phoenician has nice courts as well as one grass court, but you're spending big bucks there. There's a Hyatt in north scottsdale with nice courts too.

NMTennis 11-18-2012 05:03 AM

Thanks for everybody's input. Looking at the weekend in January - The Phoenician, the Montelucia, and the Hyatt Gainey Ranch are all approximately the same price and are in the running. Other suggestions for some reason are more expensive and out of the running. Looks like Montelucia does not have tennis, but not a big deal if other options nearby. The Phoenician sounds incredible, but options (spa, tennis, restaurants may be pricy) and the Hyatt looks great, but may be kinda generic.

What we are doing is a 4 day weekend, 1/2 of which will be at Mayo Hospital in Phoenix for a conference. Tennis will be secondary = perhaps hit once or twice with a pro - a clinic would be nice. Wife coming too, and would likely study by the pool (is it too cold in January to do so?), shopping, etc. Would like to hike up Camelback one morning....
Thanks again!