Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Davis Cup: Canada vs France (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=412881)

InvisibleSoul 02-09-2012 01:02 PM

Davis Cup: Canada vs France
 
Things just got more interesting!

Originally with Tsonga and Monfils playing singles, there was very little chance for Canada to take the tie... but Monfils has just been pulled because of his knee injury, so Benneteau has been slotted to take his place.

While still heavy underdogs, Canada has a glimmer of hope.

Friday's matches...

R1: Pospisil vs Tsonga
R2: Raonic vs Benneteau

Pospisil is going to get beatdown by Tsonga, but Raonic can definitely beat Benneteau.

If this happens, regardless of who wins the doubles match Saturday between Nestor/Pospisil and Llodra/Benneteau, the first Sunday match should be an awesome one, featuring Raonic vs Tsonga.

vive le beau jeu ! 02-09-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 6315765)
the first Sunday match should be an awesome one, featuring Raonic vs Tsonga.

should be a good one ! :)

InvisibleSoul 02-09-2012 01:20 PM

Oh yes, the official matchups: http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/t...ieId=100017647

Tammo 02-09-2012 01:21 PM

I don't think Pospisil will get 'beat down'. Jo didn't play his best tennis at the AO, and Pop has shown some good tennis in his few matches. I think he will make it fairly competitive maybe something like 7-5 6-3 7-6 for Tsonga.

Tammo 02-09-2012 01:23 PM

France should win the whole DC though. If they wanted to, all their players could be in the top 16. That would be a very threating DC team.

rodrigoamaral 02-09-2012 03:05 PM

will come down to who wins the tsonga and raonic battle..

InvisibleSoul 02-09-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tammo (Post 6315807)
I don't think Pospisil will get 'beat down'. Jo didn't play his best tennis at the AO, and Pop has shown some good tennis in his few matches. I think he will make it fairly competitive maybe something like 7-5 6-3 7-6 for Tsonga.

Well, Pospisil has lost his last two matches, and both were against players ranked even lower than him, so... unless he has the match of his life, and Tsonga plays extremely poorly (even worse than against Nishikori), it will only be as competitive as Tsonga allows it to be. Pospisil isn't quite at the level to be able to compete with the 6th ranked player in the world.

Beryl 02-09-2012 05:58 PM

Monfils is injured again?

jaggy 02-09-2012 06:26 PM

I think this has the possibility of some real drama, I hope I can get a good stream

InvisibleSoul 02-09-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beryl (Post 6316288)
Monfils is injured again?

Not injured again, injured still. He said his knee feels okay, but Forget decided to sit him at least for Friday. He could possibly play on Sunday.

CDNguy87 02-09-2012 08:07 PM

I'd say Canada's most probable path to victory are 2 Raonic wins and the doubles victory with Nestor. Here's how I would rank the 5 match-ups in terms of Canada's likelihood of winning each:

1) Raonic v Benneteau (pretty similar ranking, but Raonic has to be considered the favourite at home and on indoor HC)
2) Doubles (Nestor gives Canada a chance, but France will be pretty formidable....probably fairly close to a 50/50 tossup)
3) Raonic v. Tsonga (Tsonga is obviously the favourite here, but his weak mental game and Raonic's indoor game make an upset a possibility...if Canada can pull out the doubles on Saturday, this could be the effective decider on Sunday)
4) Pospisil v. Benneteau (if Pospisil can reclaim his form from last year's DC vs. Israel, he may have a chance here to save Canada in the last match if Milos can't beat Tsonga or Canada drops the doubles. But I definitely wouldn't count on him beating a Top 40 player.)
5) Pospisil v. Tsonga (this is not happening for Canada....Pospisil should really save his energy for the doubles on Saturday and the potential final singles match on Sunday.)

augustobt 02-09-2012 09:27 PM

Well, I think that Milos can win Benneteau, but I doubt about Nestor/Pospspspspspspspssssil beating Benneteau/Llodra.

pound cat 02-10-2012 02:54 AM

5 Killed in BC on their way to watch Davis Cup !!!


http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02...hway-97-crash/

CDNguy87 02-10-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustobt (Post 6316649)
Well, I think that Milos can win Benneteau, but I doubt about Nestor/Pospspspspspspspssssil beating Benneteau/Llodra.

They bet Ram/Erlich in a similar must-win situation for the WG playoff in September. That was in a circus atmosphere with extreme, outdoor Israeli heat, so the conditions should be more favourable for them here. I'm not saying it won't be difficult, but they certainly have a shot. Unfortunately, that's not the hardest match Canada needs to take.

I'm wondering if Canada should have started with Dancevic (instead of Pospy) as sort of a sacrificial lamb in the singles against Tsonga. This way, Pospy could be well-rested for the Saturday doubles and they could always substitute Pospy for Dancevic if the final singles match on Sunday became the decider. Or perhaps they viewed having him play Tsonga as a good way to get competitive match experience/practice against a world-class player? I can't think of any other justification....surely they don't think he can reasonably win that.

Tammo 02-10-2012 05:15 AM

I think that this may go down to the 5th rubber. Although it will pretty much all depend on how Raonic does.

pound cat 02-10-2012 05:45 AM

Horrific crash on way to Davis Cup in Vancouver



A newspaper employee and his family travelling to Vancouver to fulfill a lifelong dream to see an international tennis match were killed in a blazing crash with a semi-trailer, says a colleague of the man.

Colleen Sparrow, interim publisher of The Prince George Citizen, said on the paper's website the dead are Matt Altizer, 40, his wife Leah, their two children, Jonathan, a Grade 8 student and Emily, a Grade 6 student and an adult family member identified as Heather Kress.

Matt worked with the newspaper as an information-technology specialist, generating ideas and solving problems, Sparrow said in a separate interview, and Leah worked with the local school district.

She said the entire community has suffered a great loss.

"Everyone is replaceable, but I don't know that this guy is," she said. "His presence will absolutely be missed, not only on a professional level, but again for me a friendship level."

"Our team is suffering and so is his family. They're a very tight-knit family. His family and Leah's family and friends are very close."

The family was on its way to Vancouver to fulfill Altizer's lifelong dream to attend a Davis Cup international match this weekend between Canada and France.

The Thursday morning collision occurred outside the small B.C community of McLeese Lake, between Quesnel and Williams Lake. The crash sparked an intense blaze that reduced both vehicles to shells after burning for hours.

"We do know that the SUV crossed the centre line and collided with the semi," RCMP Corp. Madonna Saunderson. "The crash resulted in a fire, we're not sure what sparked the fire. We do know that both vehicles were engulfed in flames."

She said all five occupants of the SUV were killed on impact, and the driver of the tractor trailer was not injured but taken to a hospital in Williams Lake, B.C. as a precaution.

The roads were bare, the sky, cloudy and overcast, but Saunderson said police don't know why the SUV crossed the centre line.

Saunderson said a motorist who was driving behind the SUV told officers there was no indication the driver of the SUV was driving erratically or irresponsibly.

"For whatever reasons that aren't unknown and probably won't be known, it (the SUV) crossed right over into the semi," she said.

Greg Foster, a pub owner trying to organize a volunteer fire department in McLeese Lake, said he heard about the crash while listening to a police scanner.

He said debris was spread over an area of about 60 metres, the semi was sprawled half onto the north-bound lane and half into a ditch and the SUV was invisible, either trapped under the semi or in front of the semi and out of view of passersby, said Foster.

"The trailer had burned up," he said. "The truck was still on fire at that time, and like I say, the materials and that kind of stuff were just (scattered) all over the highway."

The air reeked of the smell of burning oil and tires, he added.

Foster said he didn't see any survivors but talked to a truck driver who was waiting in traffic and she told him the driver of the crashed truck was taken away from the scene in an ambulance.

Less fortunate were the occupants of the SUV, said Foster.

"There would have been no way they could have gotten out of that situation," he said.

Another crash occurred nearby three years ago, when a pickup truck and semi collided, killing two.

Foster said he's lived in the community for years and has never seen anything as bad as he saw Thursday.

"This is definitely the worst scene."

Barbara McClintock, a spokeswoman for the BC Coroners Service are in McLeese Lake, and there will be a coroners investigation.

Because the fire was so hot and so large and took so long to get under control, there are "problems with the scene," she said, and the coroners service will have to meet with police to decide their next course of action.

Sparrow said when she heard about the deaths, she was in a state of disbelief because she had worked Altizer for years.

Sparrow told her colleagues what happened and says the news was met shock and disbelief.

She said Altizer was a tennis enthusiast who designed a portable tennis net that could be removed from city courts when the weather turned bad and is now installed at the nearby university.

Sparrow said she worked with Leah on handing out scholarships the newspaper offers to employees and newspaper carriers.

"She would present all the potential (scholarships) and we would select them. Great lady."

"The citizen is a strong team and family. We're going to bond together and get through this and it's not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination but together we will all make it through this and be there for each other."


More information on Google News....terrible start to the tie.

Rock Strongo 02-10-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pound cat (Post 6317046)
Sad news story

Oh no. I don't know what to say really, that's absolutely horrible.

kishnabe 02-10-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pound cat (Post 6317046)
Horrific crash on way to Davis Cup in Vancouver



A newspaper employee and his family travelling to Vancouver to fulfill a lifelong dream to see an international tennis match were killed in a blazing crash with a semi-trailer, says a colleague of the man.

Colleen Sparrow, interim publisher of The Prince George Citizen, said on the paper's website the dead are Matt Altizer, 40, his wife Leah, their two children, Jonathan, a Grade 8 student and Emily, a Grade 6 student and an adult family member identified as Heather Kress.

Matt worked with the newspaper as an information-technology specialist, generating ideas and solving problems, Sparrow said in a separate interview, and Leah worked with the local school district.

She said the entire community has suffered a great loss.

"Everyone is replaceable, but I don't know that this guy is," she said. "His presence will absolutely be missed, not only on a professional level, but again for me a friendship level."

"Our team is suffering and so is his family. They're a very tight-knit family. His family and Leah's family and friends are very close."

The family was on its way to Vancouver to fulfill Altizer's lifelong dream to attend a Davis Cup international match this weekend between Canada and France.

The Thursday morning collision occurred outside the small B.C community of McLeese Lake, between Quesnel and Williams Lake. The crash sparked an intense blaze that reduced both vehicles to shells after burning for hours.

"We do know that the SUV crossed the centre line and collided with the semi," RCMP Corp. Madonna Saunderson. "The crash resulted in a fire, we're not sure what sparked the fire. We do know that both vehicles were engulfed in flames."

She said all five occupants of the SUV were killed on impact, and the driver of the tractor trailer was not injured but taken to a hospital in Williams Lake, B.C. as a precaution.

The roads were bare, the sky, cloudy and overcast, but Saunderson said police don't know why the SUV crossed the centre line.

Saunderson said a motorist who was driving behind the SUV told officers there was no indication the driver of the SUV was driving erratically or irresponsibly.

"For whatever reasons that aren't unknown and probably won't be known, it (the SUV) crossed right over into the semi," she said.

Greg Foster, a pub owner trying to organize a volunteer fire department in McLeese Lake, said he heard about the crash while listening to a police scanner.

He said debris was spread over an area of about 60 metres, the semi was sprawled half onto the north-bound lane and half into a ditch and the SUV was invisible, either trapped under the semi or in front of the semi and out of view of passersby, said Foster.

"The trailer had burned up," he said. "The truck was still on fire at that time, and like I say, the materials and that kind of stuff were just (scattered) all over the highway."

The air reeked of the smell of burning oil and tires, he added.

Foster said he didn't see any survivors but talked to a truck driver who was waiting in traffic and she told him the driver of the crashed truck was taken away from the scene in an ambulance.

Less fortunate were the occupants of the SUV, said Foster.

"There would have been no way they could have gotten out of that situation," he said.

Another crash occurred nearby three years ago, when a pickup truck and semi collided, killing two.

Foster said he's lived in the community for years and has never seen anything as bad as he saw Thursday.

"This is definitely the worst scene."

Barbara McClintock, a spokeswoman for the BC Coroners Service are in McLeese Lake, and there will be a coroners investigation.

Because the fire was so hot and so large and took so long to get under control, there are "problems with the scene," she said, and the coroners service will have to meet with police to decide their next course of action.

Sparrow said when she heard about the deaths, she was in a state of disbelief because she had worked Altizer for years.

Sparrow told her colleagues what happened and says the news was met shock and disbelief.

She said Altizer was a tennis enthusiast who designed a portable tennis net that could be removed from city courts when the weather turned bad and is now installed at the nearby university.

Sparrow said she worked with Leah on handing out scholarships the newspaper offers to employees and newspaper carriers.

"She would present all the potential (scholarships) and we would select them. Great lady."

"The citizen is a strong team and family. We're going to bond together and get through this and it's not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination but together we will all make it through this and be there for each other."


More information on Google News....terrible start to the tie.

Don't want to hear something sad on this forum.....Federer will cheer me up then....It always terrible when accidents on the road happened. Stupid guy in the trailer.....lost my brother about4-5 months ago in a accident similar to this.

Rock Strongo 02-10-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 6317420)
Don't want to hear something sad on this forum.....Federer will cheer me up then....It always terrible when accidents on the road happened. Stupid guy in the trailer.....lost my brother about4-5 months ago in a accident similar to this.

Woah, terribly sorry about the loss.

jaggy 02-10-2012 12:34 PM

Horrible news


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse