Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Head Comp Tour (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413823)

TCTEN 02-17-2012 08:59 AM

Head Comp Tour

Just picked up a very nice Comp Tour at a thrift shop and haven't had a chance to hit with it yet. It is very similar to 2 other frames that I have in my collection (Team Pro & Club Pro) and I was hoping that someone can tell me exactly what the differences are between the 3. They are all 89.5 in. head size and have similar PJs. Any specific info about them would be much appreciated.

Thepowerofchoice 02-18-2012 06:26 AM

I have these 3 racquets too. They all weight about the same but the Head Comp Tour might be just a bit lighter. The Club Pro is the most flexy one out of the three and the Team Pro play a bit stiffer but still flexible by today standard. The Comp pro feels like some where in the middle(flex) in between the 3. Very nice looking racquet. I capped my Comp Tour with MG Prestige grommets. If you decide not to keep it let me know. I might be looking for another one :)

Here is the picture. 2 Comp Pro, 1 Comp Tour

joe sch 02-18-2012 08:52 AM

I also have a few of head comp, team, and club pro models.
They play great, not too much of a difference from the prestige models.
I forget what the price diffs were, would be interested if someone remembers ?

Here is a picture of the onracket specs:

http://woodtennis.com/head/head_comp_pro4.jpg

TCTEN 02-19-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe sch (Post 6334379)

Agreed, I have 5 models (graphite pro,comp pro, team pro, club pro and the comp tour) they all play great. I have paid $20 or less for each of them which is a fantastic bargain. The only problem with them so far is that the original grommets have basically disintegrated with exception of the comp tour. I've capped the comp pro and club pro but the resulting feel is a bit more head heavy which I personally don't like as much as the original. My next project is to attempt to trim a set of cap grommets in hopes that it will feel a bit more like the original set. Any tips on the best way to do this would be appreciated.
Played with Comp Tour yesterday and loved it. Great balance and weight(12oz on my postal scale) pleasing flex,moderate power with excellent control. Best $2.99 I ever spent.

joe sch 02-19-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCTEN (Post 6336103)
Agreed, I have 5 models (graphite pro,comp pro, team pro, club pro and the comp tour) they all play great. I have paid $20 or less for each of them which is a fantastic bargain. The only problem with them so far is that the original grommets have basically disintegrated with exception of the comp tour. I've capped the comp pro and club pro but the resulting feel is a bit more head heavy which I personally don't like as much as the original. My next project is to attempt to trim a set of cap grommets in hopes that it will feel a bit more like the original set. Any tips on the best way to do this would be appreciated.
Played with Comp Tour yesterday and loved it. Great balance and weight(12oz on my postal scale) pleasing flex,moderate power with excellent control. Best $2.99 I ever spent.

I personally love the cap grommets and if its just the more head heavy balance that bothers you then you could offset by adding more weight in handle. Otherwise cut the cap grommets to minimize extra weight. Those original grommets do get brittle and breakup so best to replace so strings do not get damaged.

TCTEN 02-19-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe sch (Post 6336122)
I personally love the cap grommets and if its just the more head heavy balance that bothers you then you could offset by adding more weight in handle. Otherwise cut the cap grommets to minimize extra weight. Those original grommets do get brittle and breakup so best to replace so strings do not get damaged.

I tried weighting the handle on the club pro after I capped it and the balance was improved but between the caps and the added handle weight the overall weight was pushed past 13oz which is a little too heavy for my liking. I'll try the caps mod and see how that works out.

Thepowerofchoice 02-19-2012 11:44 AM

I did capped mod. in couple of my Head Pro's. It might be easier if you trim the (cap)bumper first when it's not on the frame. I used a heavy duty scissor, it was pretty easy. The scissor cut through the bumper smoothly and I trimed the ends in a V shape just for a nice clean stock look.

It's a little trickier to try and trim the cap bumper when the bumper is installed on the racuqet. It can be done but it takes longer and would scratch your racquet a bit inside the groove but you can't really see it so I guess no biggie. I used a box cutter and the outcome was not as clean and smooth a job as it was with the scissor. One thing to keep in mind is that the bottom piece grommets is a little too short so you might need some tubes.

FedererClone 10-27-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe sch (Post 6334379)

Here is a picture of the onracket specs:

http://woodtennis.com/head/head_comp_pro4.jpg

I am currently using the stealth Head Comp Tour, weighs in at 370g/13.1 oz w/Head Hybrid Pro grip -- but the swing on the stick is so well balanced it's pretty sweet on groundies for FH & 1HBH - a bit tricky to maneuver at the net though (probably due to the weight) but also nice control on serve if you let it do the work.

Any other 89.5 models worth testing out?