Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Gamma X-6FC w/Wise 2086 pictures (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413988)

Faithfulfather 02-18-2012 08:33 PM

Gamma X-6FC w/Wise 2086 pictures

You don't lose 360 degree rotation with the Diablo attachment if you put the Wise head all the back. I have not had a chance to string a racquet yet, but I should within the next week. I'll post further comments then.

i3602u 02-18-2012 09:07 PM

Nice setup did you need to make any mods such as drilling holes etc

Faithfulfather 02-18-2012 09:23 PM

The only thing I had to do was move over one of the metal brackets. You can see the screw marks in picture 2. It was a seamless install.

Irvin 02-19-2012 06:28 AM

Depending on how large the head of the racket is and how you mount the racket you loose your 360 rotation. In the picture it looks like you have to pull the top strings from off center which creates more friction and less tension on the strings pulled at the head. That turntable is really close to the Wise also.

Faithfulfather 02-19-2012 06:44 AM

What do you suggest I do? Should I make a bracket to move the Wise head further back? What about just removing the diablo attachment? Would it help if I raised the Wise head so the head is level with the string bed?

Irvin 02-19-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faithfulfather (Post 6336078)
What do you suggest I do? Should I make a bracket to move the Wise head further back? What about just removing the diablo attachment?

I am not sure what you can do. If you move the Wise farther back you may put too much torgue on the mounting points or the base of the stringer. I too have a similar problem. I use a 2" spacer to raise the Wise up to the level of the string bed on my 6004. With this the racket hits the Wise and there is no 360 rotation. I am still tensioning at close to straight on though but I still have some friction when pulling strings from the throat area.

Faithfulfather 02-19-2012 07:15 AM

Thank you for your advice. I will try some different ideas. How important is the diablo attachment?

Irvin 02-19-2012 07:20 AM

Unless you are stringing gut not very. The Wise had a problem with gut initially. The tension head was below the level of the string bed pulling on a plan parallel with the string bed. When the gripper pulled tension the string angle going into the gripper changed and the front of the linear gripper damaged the string so Wise came up with the spacer. The Spacer stops the 360 rotation so Wise came up with a diablo.

If you are using string that is not damaged with the Wise without the diablo take it off. Be mindful when you start using multis and gut though.

Faithfulfather 02-19-2012 07:48 AM

I string with gut and poly. So far I moved the Wise head back an inch and re-gained the 360 degree rotation. I think I need to moved it over toward the center of the stringer about 2 inches.

Faithfulfather 02-19-2012 03:08 PM

I strung my first racquet. I strung it in under 30 minutes. I absolutely love this Wise head.

rich s 02-19-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faithfulfather (Post 6336078)
What do you suggest I do? Should I make a bracket to move the Wise head further back? What about just removing the diablo attachment? Would it help if I raised the Wise head so the head is level with the string bed?

related but somewhat not..... I would drill a third hole in the mount at the same distance from the first hole that the original mount bracket is drilled/spaced and leave the original rear hole in the mount open.... use the original threaded piece to attach to the mount then slide the entire Wise/Mount combination backward away from the turn table pivot to buy you some space between the Wise and the turntable/uprights/etc.... this should help you from having to have your upright supports being biased to one side of the turntable as is seen in your first pic/link.

see the pics..... if I am not completely clear just say so and I'll try to better articulate....

http://i43.tinypic.com/59suu0.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2lt3olv.jpg

Faithfulfather 02-19-2012 06:20 PM

I have to take updated pics. I moved the Wise head back about and inch or so and center the racquet mounts on the pivot point of the gamma stringer. The Wise string clamp is higher and more centered than the original gamma drop weight. So far so good. I have strung 3 racquets and all have turned out great. There is not any more string binding on the grommets than with the drop weight. Actually there is less. I still want to try what Irvin stated as I trust him more than my 6 months of stringing. I appreciate everyone's help.

Irvin 02-20-2012 03:24 AM

'Faithfulfather' I think you are on the right track. Centering the billiard posts on the turntable produces the same angles - friction - tension in the top as you have on the bottom and a more symmetrical string job.

Red001 01-07-2013 08:01 AM

Gamma X-6FC with Wise 2086

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6337831)
'Faithfulfather' I think you are on the right track. Centering the billiard posts on the turntable produces the same angles - friction - tension in the top as you have on the bottom and a more symmetrical string job.

I moved WISE 2086 back and raised it up a bit using aluminum plates - here are couple pictures ...
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Faithfulfather 01-08-2013 02:24 AM

Here are some updated pics. I have moved the head more on-center, so the angle (friction) is decreased.

Faithfulfather 01-08-2013 02:28 AM

I plan on getting certified and starting a small stringing business. Should I upgrade to the 6004 or is this set-up sufficient?

Irvin 01-08-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faithfulfather (Post 7105196)
Here are some updated pics. I have moved the head more on-center, so the angle (friction) is decreased. I am considering raising the head about 35mm. 360 degree rotation will not be lost and the head will be near level with the racquet bed. Thoughts? ...

If you leave the tension head below the racket you will have more even tension on every string. With the tension head pulling at the level of the string bed you will have very little (if any) tension loss due to friction where the string bends at the frame on the center mains and crosses. Raising the level of the tensioner to the level of the stringbed gives you a built in proportional string bed as there is greater angle / friction on the outside strings for mains and crosses.

You be the judge I like the tension being pulled on the level of the stringbed.

Faithfulfather 01-08-2013 03:45 AM

What about the 6004 vs this setup?

Irvin 01-08-2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faithfulfather (Post 7105257)
What about the 6004 vs this setup?

Your call, if you think your customers will care buy the one you think will get you the most business. I can't see much difference except for ergonomics. Do you think you can recoup $1,200?

Faithfulfather 01-08-2013 04:26 AM

To be honest, I don't think it will. I see your setup and I'm envious. It rotates so freely and smoothly. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's machine.