Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ashaway 100% Zyex monofilament (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=414493)

corners 02-22-2012 07:25 PM

Ashaway 100% Zyex monofilament

Anyone tried this one? Ashaway used to make a MonoGut - same name as this new string - but it was not a zyex string. Their Dynamite line, which has been out forever, uses many smaller strands of zyex surrounded by a nylon braid for durability. They apparently figured out how to make a string with just one big strand of pure zyex.

Zyex as a material is softer (less stiff) and more elastic (thus more powerful) than nylon. It's about midway between natural gut and nylon in terms of both those characteristics.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com...max_monog.html

jrxl 02-23-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 6343972)
Anyone tried this one? Ashaway used to make a MonoGut - same name as this new string - but it was not a zyex string. Their Dynamite line, which has been out forever, uses many smaller strands of zyex surrounded by a nylon braid for durability. They apparently figured out how to make a string with just one big strand of pure zyex.

Zyex as a material is softer (less stiff) and more elastic (thus more powerful) than nylon. It's about midway between natural gut and nylon in terms of both those characteristics.

Sounds intriguing. I could only find one place that sells it... and they list it at $15 a pack. For that price I am inclined to let others test the Ashaway marketing claims.

Automatix 02-23-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 6343972)

It's certainly interesting but more stores have to carry this string so more can try them.

DE19702 02-23-2012 08:12 AM

I've used the Klippermate Zyex string. Its an interesting string. Its power is kind of inversely proportional to how fast you swing. In other words, a slow swing gives you power, but the power drops off the faster you swing. I really like Ashaway Dynamite. It seems like the nylon outer wrap maintains more of the power on faster swings. In my opinion you do not have to string it 10-20% lower. Maybe 5%.

Kevo 02-23-2012 11:49 AM

I definitely want to try this.

PBODY99 02-23-2012 09:41 PM

I found the string to be very comfortable in a Zyex/poly hybrid.
It does feel different than the the original Ashway Zyex or the Tough in black which felt like the original silver.
Yes Zyex has been a high price string but the strings plays really well for a longer time than other multis in my experience.
My customers who use this tend to be older flat hitting players.

corners 02-23-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBODY99 (Post 6346318)
I found the string to be very comfortable in a Zyex/poly hybrid.
It does feel different than the the original Ashway Zyex or the Tough in black which felt like the original silver.
Yes Zyex has been a high price string but the strings play really well for a longer time than other multis in my experience.
My customers who use this tend to be older flat hitting players.

How is the durability, spin and string movement with this in the mains and poly in the crosses compared to, say, gut/poly.

Love50 02-24-2012 10:49 AM

I'm a fan of the Ashaway Zyex strings. They have great spin and feel but the negatives currently prevent it from being a regular string for me.

The original Dynamite had severe initial tension loss plus excessive string movement. You could string it up lower for the first session or you could string it up tighter for subsequent sessions - pick your poison.

With the current Dynamite and Dynamite Soft, the tension loss is better but somewhat still there. The string movement problem remains and the feel is improved. However, I managed to break a set in 2 hours...

Haven't tried the new Dynamite Tough set but will do so. Definitely will try the Zyex Monogut whenever TW gets around to carrying it. I think I used a set of the original Monogut way back but cannot for the life of me remember what it felt like.

bad_call 02-24-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love50 (Post 6347361)
I'm a fan of the Ashaway Zyex strings. They have great spin and feel but the negatives currently prevent it from being a regular string for me.

The original Dynamite had severe initial tension loss plus excessive string movement. You could string it up lower for the first session or you could string it up tighter for subsequent sessions - pick your poison.

With the current Dynamite and Dynamite Soft, the tension loss is better but somewhat still there. The string movement problem remains and the feel is improved. However, I managed to break a set in 2 hours...

Haven't tried the new Dynamite Tough set but will do so. Definitely will try the Zyex Monogut whenever TW gets around to carrying it. I think I used a set of the original Monogut way back but cannot for the life of me remember what it felt like.

recall it being low cost, stretchy, decent comfort but not great on control.

NLBwell 02-24-2012 06:15 PM

Interesting idea. I liked the feel of the old Dynamite, but it wore through very quickly for me. I'd be interested to hear how it works in a hybrid to soften up a string bed.

corners 02-24-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 6348367)
Interesting idea. I liked the feel of the old Dynamite, but it wore through very quickly for me. I'd be interested to hear how it works in a hybrid to soften up a string bed.

Dynamite has a very high friction srface so it chews itself up in a full bed. I'm curious how it rides as a main with a slick poly cross. And this 100% style sounds like it might be worth a try as a gut replacement too.

Valjean 02-25-2012 02:34 AM

The negatives above for Dynamite, Original and Soft, all register with me too.

Automatix 03-24-2012 02:33 PM

Anyone had the chance to test this string?

Thx!

corners 03-24-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatix (Post 6419750)
Anyone had the chance to test this string?

Thx!

Not yet, but planning on it.

Automatix 03-24-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 6419798)
Not yet, but planning on it.

I'll keep a lookout for your review.

chaddles 03-25-2012 03:56 AM

Had a guy testing and he absolutely loved this string as a replacement for BB Original. He said it had much greater feel and rip on the ball. Only downside is it seems to break a hell of a lot easier on shanks in comparison to the Original.

Automatix 03-25-2012 02:24 PM

I'm on a tight budget currently but I know what I want for Easter. ;)

blackfrido 03-25-2012 07:44 PM

One of my best experiences with strings was with Ashaway Dynamite, this string pockets the ball like nothing else but........the string does not last enough and moves like crazy. I couldn't stand the way this string moves all around.
I hope this new Zyex string from Ashaway keeps the best characteristics of the old Dynamite and most of all stays in place :)

corners 03-26-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackfrido (Post 6422852)
One of my best experiences with strings was with Ashaway Dynamite, this string pockets the ball like nothing else but........the string does not last enough and moves like crazy. I couldn't stand the way this string moves all around.
I hope this new Zyex string from Ashaway keeps the best characteristics of the old Dynamite and most of all stays in place :)

Yeah, it would be great if it stayed in place as a full bed, but I'm thinking it would probably require a poly cross - if that worked it might be the ultimate poor man's Fed setup.

blackfrido 03-26-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 6424043)
Yeah, it would be great if it stayed in place as a full bed, but I'm thinking it would probably require a poly cross - if that worked it might be the ultimate poor man's Fed setup.

Hi Corners,
don't you agree with me that these strings have an unbelievable feel?