Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Signum Pro Firestorm (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=414761)

Meaghan 02-25-2012 03:30 AM

Signum Pro Firestorm

Just been sent this to playtest.....anyone used it, how does it play etc, looks and feels like a smooth powerful poly, supposedly Mikhail Youzhny uses it I think in a hybrid with gut.....

Im probably more likely to play this as a cross with a stiffer poly main but any info would be great.

Automatix 02-25-2012 04:59 AM

There's a thread about this string already.

Meaghan 02-26-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatix (Post 6349070)
There's a thread about this string already.

Yes but it has 8 posts mainly taking about Youzhny and no real info about the string....

Automatix 02-26-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meaghan (Post 6350879)
Yes but it has 8 posts mainly taking about Youzhny and no real info about the string....

Yep. But still creating numerous threads about the same thing makes finding some things harder.

But I'm no moderator so... enjoy the string.
I won't try it for some time unfortunately. :(

djnemo 02-26-2012 02:26 PM

Firestorm is powerful and comfortable. I noticed immediately when serving that this string has more pop than SPPP, and it is on the soft side for a poly. Spin was average for a poly. Not sure about durability yet since only hit for 2 hours.

ManuGinobili 02-26-2012 10:21 PM

You got it fast! I have to wait till mid March... It's supposed to be soft and powerful, I think along the line of Hyperion, could be softer and more powerful

djnemo 02-27-2012 09:26 AM

I haven't tried Hyperion, but Firestorm is definitely more powerful and has a softer feel compared to Tornado. I think I might have to string it higher then my usual 54 lbs. Seems like a good cross with Tornado in the mains for a combination of power and spin.

It's been a while since I used Alu Power, so I will test the two side by side and provide a comparison on power level.

Meaghan 02-27-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djnemo (Post 6352017)
Firestorm is powerful and comfortable. I noticed immediately when serving that this string has more pop than SPPP, and it is on the soft side for a poly. Spin was average for a poly. Not sure about durability yet since only hit for 2 hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuGinobili (Post 6352640)
You got it fast! I have to wait till mid March... It's supposed to be soft and powerful, I think along the line of Hyperion, could be softer and more powerful

Quote:

Originally Posted by djnemo (Post 6353538)
I haven't tried Hyperion, but Firestorm is definitely more powerful and has a softer feel compared to Tornado. I think I might have to string it higher then my usual 54 lbs. Seems like a good cross with Tornado in the mains for a combination of power and spin.

It's been a while since I used Alu Power, so I will test the two side by side and provide a comparison on power level.

Thankyou, I look forward to your impressions. I will probably string this up as a cross with tour bite in the mains, I will comment back when I hit with it. HAve been playing poly hybrids of late and like a stiffer main and a soft powerful smooth cross, a very effective combination.

djnemo 03-06-2012 07:39 PM

Update on my full bed of Firestorm- excellent playability for 4 hours, then lost a little pop and feel and broke a string at 5 hour mark. Similar durability to Tornado, and I get an average of 6 hours out of SPPP and black code. So durability is average for a poly.

Since Firestorm had a lot of power and mediocre spin (for a poly), I tried pro supex blue gear ultra in the mains and Firestorm in the crosses 56/54. The Blue Gear did tame some of the power and add spin, but I missed the free points I was getting on serve from the power of the full bed. I think I will try a full bed again at a higher tension.

My ratings for Firestorm on a scale of 1-5.

Power: 5
Spin: 3
Comfort: 5 (one of the softer feeling polys)
Control: 3
Tension Maintenance: tbd
Durability: 3

Meaghan 03-07-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djnemo (Post 6373524)
Update on my full bed of Firestorm- excellent playability for 4 hours, then lost a little pop and feel and broke a string at 5 hour mark. Similar durability to Tornado, and I get an average of 6 hours out of SPPP and black code. So durability is average for a poly.

Since Firestorm had a lot of power and mediocre spin (for a poly), I tried pro supex blue gear ultra in the mains and Firestorm in the crosses 56/54. The Blue Gear did tame some of the power and add spin, but I missed the free points I was getting on serve from the power of the full bed. I think I will try a full bed again at a higher tension.

My ratings for Firestorm on a scale of 1-5.

Power: 5
Spin: 3
Comfort: 5 (one of the softer feeling polys)
Control: 3
Tension Maintenance: tbd
Durability: 3

Thanks djnemo, pretty much what I thought, Im still yet to string it up but your review makes me think it would work with tour bite mains.

Federerkblade 03-08-2012 12:10 AM

I have strung Firestorm 1.25 in my pure drive 54lb.

Felt slightly too tight but indoors felt lovely. Good enough spin but that really does depend on raquet head speed and otehr player variables.

I liked it, it has enough power and is a soft poly.

Torres 04-22-2012 12:13 AM

So Firestorm's a disappointment in the 'ol spin department eh?

What about, its sister string... thunder...thunder...Thunder!....Thunderstorm!..... Hoaaah!!

10 Sided Shape Co-Polyester String
Axially Twisted
Colour: purple (violet)
Gauges: 1.24mm, 1.30mm

nickarnold2000 04-22-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6480164)

What about, its sister string... thunder...thunder...Thunder!....Thunderstorm!..... Hoaaah!!

It's violet purple! I don't see it at TW but Europe has it. Has anybody tried it yet?

Torres 04-22-2012 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickarnold2000 (Post 6480234)
It's violet purple!

Violet purple is the new black.

Black is so 2010.

syke 04-22-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickarnold2000 (Post 6480234)
It's violet purple! I don't see it at TW but Europe has it. Has anybody tried it yet?

Thunderstorm's Violet purple will go very well with my Prince CTS Thunderstick!

gd! 04-22-2012 08:44 AM

For those prefering Poly/Multi, I recommend to combine with WeissCannon 6 Star Supercharged Purple :rolleyes:

Tony II 04-22-2012 10:55 PM

Signum Pro Thunderstorm

It is already there …at TWE

http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.co...-STSIGNUM.html

Meaghan 04-22-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6480164)

10 Sided Shape Co-Polyester String
Axially Twisted
Colour: purple (violet)
Gauges: 1.24mm, 1.30mm

Sounds like a remarketed ten sided twisted poly in purple......

The firestorm was a bit of a disappointment. Granted I have it as a cross with tb main. Its solid enough and plays well but is a touch muted and certainly not as lively as timo.

Torres.....are I still playing tourna7 ? Have you tried it in the apd yet ?
I had it as a main with timo cross in my melly and it played very good, very lively....

dadozen 04-23-2012 05:49 AM

I tested Firestorm 1.20 yesterday and I was really impressed with its performance. Softer than Tornado, but no loss in spin, while more control than Hyperion, without being too stiff.

It's like they mixed Tornado and Hyperion into one string, delivering the best of each. Spin, decent power, control and comfort, it was all there. Excellent power/control ratio.

I'm already thinking about getting a reel. Also played with dead ALU yesterday and my wirst is hurting like it hasn't in the past 2 years...

Torres 04-23-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meaghan (Post 6482705)
Torres.....are I still playing tourna7 ? Have you tried it in the apd yet ?
I had it as a main with timo cross in my melly and it played very good, very lively....

No, I've given up with BHB7 in my 6.1. It worked really well in the larger hooped Prestige MP, but for whatever reason, I can't seem to get it to jive in a 95/18x20. I much prefer BHBR16 in that stick, at least for 3-4 hours anyway.

Bought an APD off the Bay as a flirtation but it hasn't arrived yet. Unless it completely blows me away in terms of the way it plays, I'll probably stick with the 6.1 as this natural gut / Lux hybrid I've begun using recently seems to have given a new lease of life. We shall see...