Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Bag Check? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=415492)

texacali 03-02-2012 07:19 AM

Bag Check?
 
I just became familiar with the concept and term "bag check" (found it on one of the threads in here). Even watched videos on YouTube of bag checks. I thought it was fascinating how this seemed like a big deal to people. And, it was interesting to see how much stuff folks put into a bag. I knew pros did and maybe constant tourney players perhaps. But do a lot of players carry so much stuff? And, why do folks need to carry 12 or more rackets of all different types everywhere they play plus "stuff"? I just bought a bag (1st one, three pack) and it looks so inadequate...and OMG, the brand on the outside of the bag does not match the brand of my rackets. Does that violate modern tennis etiquette (my Prince rackets in a Wilson bag?). Just an observation from an old, reentering, & reawakening player.

Cindysphinx 03-02-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texacali (Post 6363099)
I just became familiar with the concept and term "bag check" (found it on one of the threads in here). Even watched videos on YouTube of bag checks. I thought it was fascinating how this seemed like a big deal to people. And, it was interesting to see how much stuff folks put into a bag. I knew pros did and maybe constant tourney players perhaps. But do a lot of players carry so much stuff? And, why do folks need to carry 12 or more rackets of all different types everywhere they play plus "stuff"? I just bought a bag (1st one, three pack) and it looks so inadequate...and OMG, the brand on the outside of the bag does not match the brand of my rackets. Does that violate modern tennis etiquette (my Prince rackets in a Wilson bag?). Just an observation from an old, reentering, & reawakening player.

I am always surprised at how much I have in my bag. But I can justify it, I really can!

I have needed everything in there at some point. Teammates have borrowed my contact lens solution, wrist bands, bandanna, hair clips, hair ties, extra water, and my spare racket, of course.

Power Player 03-02-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texacali (Post 6363099)
I just became familiar with the concept and term "bag check" (found it on one of the threads in here). Even watched videos on YouTube of bag checks. I thought it was fascinating how this seemed like a big deal to people. And, it was interesting to see how much stuff folks put into a bag. I knew pros did and maybe constant tourney players perhaps. But do a lot of players carry so much stuff? And, why do folks need to carry 12 or more rackets of all different types everywhere they play plus "stuff"? I just bought a bag (1st one, three pack) and it looks so inadequate...and OMG, the brand on the outside of the bag does not match the brand of my rackets. Does that violate modern tennis etiquette (my Prince rackets in a Wilson bag?). Just an observation from an old, reentering, & reawakening player.

No one really cares about your bag but you. So get what ever you like regardless of brand. Just make sure it holds all your stuff and you are good to go. I started out with a 3 pack as well and I ended up with a 6 so I could have backpack straps, and more space for clothing.

I have a dunlop bag and bab/wilson sticks. I am a cross brand nightmare.

No one seems to notice.

sureshs 03-02-2012 08:40 AM

I would like a custom-made embossed leather tennis bag

user92626 03-02-2012 08:55 AM

It goes like this.

It's very hard to be impressive and noticed with bags and stuffs. That's why nobody cares, but it can be done. You may need to have a new-looking bag (+1 for current models), matched new looking rackets, stock up with energy drinks & bars, new balls, modern electronics, etc. Your friends will come to you for foods and drinks, and borrowing a racket from time to time, and that's how you get noticed and admired. hehe

beernutz 03-02-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 6363417)
It goes like this.

It's very hard to be impressive and noticed with bags and stuffs. That's why nobody cares, but it can be done. You may need to have a new-looking bag (+1 for current models), matched new looking rackets, stock up with energy drinks & bars, new balls, modern electronics, etc. Your friends will come to you for foods and drinks, and borrowing a racket from time to time, and that's how you get noticed and admired. hehe

I partially agree. You can easily be noticed for your bag, but usually in a negative way, however to actually impress someone with a bag you'll likely need to pull a beer tap out of it.

Fuji 03-02-2012 09:14 AM

Meh I carry around a 9 stick bag and I'm finding it a bit small for tournament play. It gets the job done though.

Having an extra change of clothes and shoes if needed is what takes up the most room. Plus the amount of water I need to keep going is a bit ridiculous.

-Fuji

tennis-player 03-02-2012 09:43 AM

You better play really good if you have a flashy bag, to live up the expectations :) Just sayin'.

texacali 03-02-2012 10:05 AM

That's what I'm thinking
 
My friends and I used to have this saying when we skied...if you are wearing the all yellow North Face ski outfit, you better be one hell of a skier. Same applies here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis-player (Post 6363548)
You better play really good if you have a flashy bag, to live up the expectations :) Just sayin'.


OrangePower 03-02-2012 10:07 AM

Your bag needs to be able to accomodate whatever stuff you regularly take to the courts, and it needs to be comfortable for you to carry around. That's about it in my book.

My bag is old and beat up (7 years old maybe?), but it's a perfect fit for the stuff I like to carry around. It's going to have to literally fall apart before I buy a new one.

Cindysphinx 03-02-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6363623)
Your bag needs to be able to accomodate whatever stuff you regularly take to the courts, and it needs to be comfortable for you to carry around. That's about it in my book.

My bag is old and beat up (7 years old maybe?), but it's a perfect fit for the stuff I like to carry around. It's going to have to literally fall apart before I buy a new one.

I have an Adidas backpack bag. $20 or so.

The problem I am having now is the two side pouches for carrying water bottles have stretched out, and now the water bottles topple out if I'm not careful. I had a match this summer where the bottle fell out and cracked, leaving me parched on a hot summer day.

I am too cheap to buy a new bag. I just need some duct tape!

Bergboy123 03-02-2012 10:21 AM

I went to watch a dual 5 junior tournament a few weeks back and was amazed at how almost literally every single junior there had giant, fancy bags that matched their rackets.

maggmaster 03-02-2012 10:36 AM

I have a wilson blx six pack. I carry three frames and it doubles as my gym bag.

OrangePower 03-02-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 6363639)
I have an Adidas backpack bag. $20 or so.

The problem I am having now is the two side pouches for carrying water bottles have stretched out, and now the water bottles topple out if I'm not careful. I had a match this summer where the bottle fell out and cracked, leaving me parched on a hot summer day.

I am too cheap to buy a new bag. I just need some duct tape!

Duct tape is good, but this stuff is better: E-6000 http://www.eclecticproducts.com/e6000_retail.htm

You can get it at Target. Can be used to patch and bond just about anything. At this point it's the only thing holding my bag together!

goober 03-02-2012 10:57 AM

I downsized to tennis backpacks. Easier to carry, and holds enough for me.

dizzlmcwizzl 03-02-2012 04:35 PM

I have a six pack that matches my sticks ... my daughters bought it as a x-mas present becasue they thought my old bag that did not match was ugly and dirty.

On one side I have three rackets and on the other side about 100 used tennis balls. In the side pocket I have an elastic band and about 10 over grips.

That is all.

J_R_B 03-02-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 6364561)
I have a six pack that matches my sticks ... my daughters bought it as a x-mas present becasue they thought my old bag that did not match was ugly and dirty.

On one side I have three rackets and on the other side about 100 used tennis balls. In the side pocket I have an elastic band and about 10 over grips.

That is all.

That's about the same as me. The tennis balls just pile up until I get really annoyed by them, then I dump them out and put them in the hopper for serving and trash the ones that were already in the hopper.

It's funny, when I was in HS, we played some rich and private high schools where the kids had the fancy clothes and bags and about 50 racquets. I purposely used to wear a Grateful Dead t shirt and show up with 2 racquets and half gallon of iced tea and nothing else, and then smoke them like 1 & 1.

shake&bake 03-02-2012 05:15 PM

Haha exactly the same for me. I like my bag to match my rackets though, I dont care about the model, currently I have a Bab Aero bag with Pure Drives in it. It is so much fun though to just take your rackets, dress like you dont care, and beat the crap out of kids who think they're all that like previously stated ^^^ :)

Totai 03-02-2012 06:11 PM

I bought 2 yonex rdis 100 racquets from TW, was offered a six pack yonex bag for $20. Was hell of a deal, so now my bag matches my racquets, but I don't give it much thought, I suck at playing anyway

shake&bake 03-02-2012 06:17 PM

Ive also come to see that I am an extremly organized person, but when it comes to my tennis bag, who knows whats in there. Ironic


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse