Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Andy murray thinks that Federer could still be number 1 if...... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=415806)

timnz 03-05-2012 01:05 AM

Andy murray thinks that Federer could still be number 1 if......

There were more fast court tournaments....he comments on how slow the couts have got these days..

"If there was more tournaments on these courts, I think he could definitely be No. 1 in the world for the next few years," Murray told reporters. "It really suits his game well. Just so many of the courts are so slow now. Itís nice for us to get a change-up like here. Some of the tournaments are so slow it's tough against so many guys that are moving well and serving big. Itís become tougher and tougher to stay at the top of the game longer."

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/ATP---...icolo3654.html

BULLZ1LLA2.0 03-05-2012 01:24 AM

Roland Garros is faster now than it ever has been (and so are the balls). Federer still gets breadsticked by Nadal in the 4th set of RG final. But he does beat Djokovic there....

TennisLovaLova 03-05-2012 01:45 AM

He's so right that...

aprilfool 03-05-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BULLZ1LLA2.0 (Post 6369626)
Roland Garros is faster now than it ever has been (and so are the balls). Federer still gets breadsticked by Nadal in the 4th set of RG final. But he does beat Djokovic there....

And Federer bagels Nadal on the real fast courts at the WTF.

Department of Redundancy Department

phnx90 03-05-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aprilfool (Post 6369680)
And Federer bagels Nadal on the real fast courts at the WTF.

Department of Redundancy Department

WTF courts are not fast at all, it's just that they are less spin/bounce friendly, so Rafa's groundstrokes to Fed's backhand are like sitters, free for him to rip...unless my sarcasm meter is off.

iriraz 03-05-2012 03:28 AM

The ATP,the organisers of the big events,the sponsors and so on want the top guys to be in the semis,finals of all the big events.
And if the surfaces would all be faster then a lot of things would be different and the chance that the top guys would be upset early in the tournaments is higher.
The faster the surface,the smaller the margins are between the top guys and the lower ranked players with a good serve.It`s so easily for someone like Djokovic or Nadal who play well but get no rhythm against a big server to lose like 7-6 7-6 on a quick court.
Sure Federer would have his fair share of big tournament wins but on the other hand we wouldn`t see every time Federer,Nadal,Djokovic or Murray in the semis or finals of the big events.

BULLZ1LLA2.0 03-05-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phnx90 (Post 6369687)
WTF courts are not fast at all, it's just that they are less spin/bounce friendly, so Rafa's groundstrokes to Fed's backhand are like sitters, free for him to rip...unless my sarcasm meter is off.

Very true that.

BULLZ1LLA2.0 03-05-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriraz (Post 6369704)
The ATP,the organisers of the big events,the sponsors and so on want the top guys to be in the semis,finals of all the big events.
And if the surfaces would all be faster then a lot of things would be different and the chance that the top guys would be upset early in the tournaments is higher.
The faster the surface,the smaller the margins are between the top guys and the lower ranked players with a good serve.It`s so easily for someone like Djokovic or Nadal who play well but get no rhythm against a big server to lose like 7-6 7-6 on a quick court.
Sure Federer would have his fair share of big tournament wins but on the other hand we wouldn`t see every time Federer,Nadal,Djokovic or Murray in the semis or finals of the big events.

French Open organizers are making it as easy as possible for big servers. Roland Garros has never been faster than 2011. Nadal still won, but you can see it no longer plays to his advantage.

Tabash 03-05-2012 03:56 AM

Djokovic beat Federer in Dubai last year. Fed has not been dominating all fast tournaments he plays

Marius_Hancu 03-05-2012 04:11 AM

Honest guy, Andy

iriraz 03-05-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabash (Post 6369732)
Djokovic beat Federer in Dubai last year. Fed has not been dominating all fast tournaments he plays

No one is saying that Federer would win every tournament on a fast court but in my opinion the margins between the players would be a lot smaller if the courts play fast.U could still see a Djokovic,Federer or Nadal in the later stages of the big events but not all of them in every tournament.
Also the scores will be a lot closer.For instance Djokovic won a pretty close match vs Stakhovsky in Dubai 7-6 6-3.On a slower surface the score probably would have been 6-3 6-1.
The same can be said about Federer`s matches.He beat Del Potro on a slower surface pretty easily in Melbourne but in Dubai it was 7-6 7-6.
I prefer the faster surfaces as the matches are more competitive in the earlier rounds between the top players and the lower ranked and we don`t see so many blowouts.

Nathaniel_Near 03-05-2012 05:47 AM

Timnz, I already made a thread on this - once again we are on the same wavelength. :)

DjokovicForTheWin 03-05-2012 05:49 AM

Imagine if all courts were fast low bouncing requiring a player to rely very much on pure tennis skills. Would Nadal win any titles ever?

Cup8489 03-05-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriraz (Post 6369748)
No one is saying that Federer would win every tournament on a fast court but in my opinion the margins between the players would be a lot smaller if the courts play fast.U could still see a Djokovic,Federer or Nadal in the later stages of the big events but not all of them in every tournament.
Also the scores will be a lot closer.For instance Djokovic won a pretty close match vs Stakhovsky in Dubai 7-6 6-3.On a slower surface the score probably would have been 6-3 6-1.
The same can be said about Federer`s matches.He beat Del Potro on a slower surface pretty easily in Melbourne but in Dubai it was 7-6 7-6.
I prefer the faster surfaces as the matches are more competitive in the earlier rounds between the top players and the lower ranked and we don`t see so many blowouts.

This. I'm sick of seeing no competitive matches for the big 3 until the quarters and semis.. I used to like watching all the rounds, but nowadays I know there's no point because theyre going to come through without issue 9 times out of 10.

MDCCLXXVI 03-05-2012 07:12 AM

I think inside the service boxes should be slower court, and deep in the court and near the corners should be faster, rewarding more aggressive play.

MDCCLXXVI 03-05-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cup8489 (Post 6369881)
This. I'm sick of seeing no competitive matches for the big 3 until the quarters and semis.. I used to like watching all the rounds, but nowadays I know there's no point because theyre going to come through without issue 9 times out of 10.

Its interesting isn't it.

As hard as tennis is (consistency of performance), its interesting to see the same players emerge every time. I don't know another sport where that occurs.

GasquetGOAT 03-05-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjokovicForTheWin (Post 6369802)
Imagine if all courts were fast low bouncing requiring a player to rely very much on pure tennis skills. Would Nadal win any titles ever?

Has Nadal won any indoor tournaments recently? I guess the answer is no, maybe one or two when he gets the once in a millenium lucky draw like USO 10.

GasquetGOAT 03-05-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDCCLXXVI (Post 6369891)
I think inside the service boxes should be slower court, and deep in the court and near the corners should be faster, rewarding more aggressive play.

I think they should be ban the serve entirely and always start the point with a slice, a lefty backhand slice specifically.

BevelDevil 03-05-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasquetGOAT (Post 6369905)
I think they should be ban the serve entirely and always start the point with a slice, a lefty backhand slice specifically.

Tennis elbow factory.

Instead, they should have to do a 2hbh slice from below the hip.

Tony48 03-05-2012 09:13 AM

So a player would have more success if most of the courts suited their game? Interesting theory.