Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Help! My wife thinks 180 racquets are too many? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=415817)

proracketeer 03-05-2012 05:40 AM

Help! My wife thinks 180 racquets are too many?

How should I reduce? I have no idea.

spaceman_spiff 03-05-2012 06:27 AM

Hmm, 180 changes or 1 change, which one is easier? ;)

RNEast 03-05-2012 06:32 AM

Keep about 12 for yourself, then load up the rest and go to some public tennis courts and start giving them away to needy kids.

sportsfan1 03-05-2012 06:42 AM

Out of curiosity, what do you have? Just racquets you play with, or some sort of collection? Obviously, you could sell them in the classified's section or some other site.

Rock Strongo 03-05-2012 07:25 AM

If you have any Carbonex 8's I'd me more than happy to release you from them!

pvaudio 03-05-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff (Post 6369918)
Hmm, 180 changes or 1 change, which one is easier? ;)

Aaaaaand make sure that said wife never finds this thread :lol:

Fearsome Forehand 03-05-2012 08:50 AM

Let's us know when you appear on Hoarders. :)

I have about 100 rackets give or take. Way too many. After a certain number, it is sort of pointless. I am selling them off in dribs and drabs. Hopefully, this summer, a lot of them will find new owners.

It is hard to say no when you see a good deal on an interesting racket. That is how one ends up with so many.

How many pairs of shoes does your wife own? Might be a good way to deflect her argument. :)

coachrick 03-05-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6370199)

How many pairs of shoes does your wife own? Might be a good way to deflect her argument. :)

Let us know how that works out for you! :)

Fortunately, DW 'gave' me the large 'wreck' room and I have ~85 rackets displayed on the wall(depending on the day). I have another 50 or so in boxes and THOSE are the ones I need to find a use for. Each displayed racket has a bit of a personal story(or some memory for me from when the model was current) and I'm not adding just to add, if you know what I mean. Do I need SIX Wilson T-series sticks? Nah. 10 OPS various model Yonex rackets? Nope. I could certainly cull and create some more space or just 'lighten the load' a bit. No need at this time. We'll see what spring holds! :)

retrowagen 03-05-2012 11:40 AM

Auction off the wife. If that doesn't work, auction off most of the racquets.

Boricua 03-05-2012 11:41 AM

Go for 360, then 720.and so on.:)

coachrick 03-05-2012 11:42 AM

By the bye, DW developed something of a basket fetish a few years back. She was president of a non-profit that used 'silent' auctions as part of their fund raising efforts. Her committee would put together 'gift' baskets of various sizes to be auctioned off(most baskets were doggie related since the organization was a Therapy Dog group). I made the mistake of finding some great deals on wicker, rattan, straw baskets and we loaded up our basement(the darned things are mostly AIR, after all). It took over a year to get rid of all the extra baskets and convince My Darling that she needed fewer and fewer baskets over time. We still have a couple dozen that are just taking up space. Every now and then we find a use for one--usually when giving away something ELSE we don't really need.

Different strokes, as they say. ;)

ArliHawk 03-05-2012 01:17 PM

She's probably right.

sureshs 03-05-2012 03:50 PM

Surprised you still have a wife

user92626 03-05-2012 04:27 PM

This is why tennis guys need mistresses, to spread out all those collectible items at their houses.

Virginia 03-05-2012 04:59 PM

My husband used to think 500+ was too many, so I gave a few away (about 40 I think) to the local hospice shop. Most were aluminium, so no great loss, but they were gone within a week.

I think I have around 480 right now, but we have a large double garage, so I can display quite a few (the best ones of course) on the walls. I also have two clothing racks, that take 70 frames each. One is for woods, the other for graphites. The rest are tidied away in a large bin (around 120 there I think).

Plus I have all my new frames (new, old, if you know what I mean) on the shelves of a bookcase and a few more hidden away in a large chest of drawers. Oh yes, and some in a cupboard....

user92626 03-05-2012 05:09 PM

I say 500+ are too few for a couple who share then same interest. Think about it, if both play a different frame each day, that won't last them a year. Get more.

Fearsome Forehand 03-05-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6370995)
My husband used to think 500+ was too many, so I gave a few away (about 40 I think) to the local hospice shop. Most were aluminium, so no great loss, but they were gone within a week.

I think I have around 480 right now, but we have a large double garage, so I can display quite a few (the best ones of course) on the walls. I also have two clothing racks, that take 70 frames each. One is for woods, the other for graphites. The rest are tidied away in a large bin (around 120 there I think).

Plus I have all my new frames (new, old, if you know what I mean) on the shelves of a bookcase and a few more hidden away in a large chest of drawers. Oh yes, and some in a cupboard....

Good on you, kiwi. :)

You are the ideal woman in the eyes of the Classic Racket Talk Section. :)

6-2/6-4/6-0 03-05-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proracketeer (Post 6369854)
How should I reduce? I have no idea.

Post that you have too many tennis rackets here and wait for the people to start swooping in to take them off your hands...

Done.

Also, I sent you an email... :)

NLBwell 03-05-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6370995)

Virgina, if you or someone else on the boards wants a Basti racket (which no one seems to know about), the one in the second hand store might be still there. I don't have a use for it since I don't really collect them, but since it seems unknown someone might want it since it might be rare. I'll buy it for whoever want to pay the price ($15? maybe, can't remember for sure) and the shipping.