Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Eureka moments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=416347)

gindyo 03-09-2012 02:02 PM

Eureka moments

We have all had them, especially us who have no formal coaching. Moments when you think you have figured out tennis. Sometimes they are short-lived sometimes they are an important key to improving one's game. Had I recorded all my such moments we would already have a 100 posts thread :) . Lets have this thread to share our "AHA" moments what was YOUR:
- Latest "AHA" moment?
- The one that stopped working the next time you went out to play?
- And the one that really changed your game?

gindyo 03-09-2012 05:45 PM

Am I the only one having these?

5263 03-09-2012 06:29 PM

My first and biggest still,
was to watch or focus on the ball all the way into contact area.

Back in the days before I had any coaching, I would start to really improve to
a point, then start to get worse and worse. I would eventually get fed up and
quit for a few years before picking up the sport again. It was a pattern I began
to notice, so when I started playing again in 92, I decided I would stick it out to
find out what was going wrong each time. Sure enough, after 4-6 months of steady
improvement, I began my usual slide in performance. This time I was able to
realize that it was due to over confidence leading me look up too soon into the
area where I was hitting to. Once I learned to stay focused on making clean
contact, my game continued to improve for a long while pretty steadily.

Off The Wall 03-09-2012 07:01 PM

Having had no lessons, I remember the day I discovered topspin. I was hitting forehands that my Dad fed to me from a box. I was 11 or 12. After imparting it and watching the ball dip downward, I excitedly yelled, "Did you see that?!"

My Dad was learning tennis at the same time I was. He didn't notice.

Needless to say, I started using it regularly.

Power Player 03-09-2012 07:03 PM

This one is easy:

Keeping my palm facing the ground when I pull back the racquet to start my serve. It naturally puts my wrist in the proper position and makes everything flow smoothly so I can focus on the toss.

InspectorRacquet 03-09-2012 07:09 PM

My favorite (and most recent) AHA moment was figuring out how to hit a decent kick serve that goes in most of the time. My first goal was to get a hard-to-punish serve and then find the kick serve. Both came at once for me a couple of weeks ago and it's worked ever since.

The one that changed my game was my forehand AHA, though I have hiccups here and there. Consistent topsin plus power equals unstoppable.

SystemicAnomaly 03-09-2012 07:14 PM

The realization that tennis balls are livelier on warm/hot days. Actually, I first noticed that balls felt hard (esp Dunlop balls) and did not bounce very well on cold days/nights. The air pressure in a pressurized ball is highly dependent on temperature. As the ball warms up on a cold night, the bounce improves somewhat. This ball liveliness can affect your judgement of the bounce if you are not aware of it.

Limpinhitter 03-09-2012 07:18 PM

For me, it was when I first learned to pronate/suppinate my forearm to hit a slice backhand. The rest is history!

OldFedIsOld 03-09-2012 08:26 PM

When I learned to hug the baseline and not give up territory when my opponent was treeing and also volleying balls mid-court before they even land to throw my opponent off his rhythm. I hit some unforced errors and got hit a few times, but it was one of my biggest Eureka moments for me when playing against huge 6'5" players absolutely crushing flat balls.

sureshs 03-10-2012 09:26 AM

Last night I had a(an?) Eureka moment. I had gotten there early and watching juniors finish their sessions before we oldies took the courts. Then when I got on the court a little before my partner arrived, I just started hitting some serves and lo and behold, I was using the abbreviated swing like one of the juniors! It may be a short-lived euphoria, but I found my serves were harder, more accurate and better controlled than before. I think I may have finally mastered the serve just like I have mastered all the other strokes.

syc23 03-10-2012 11:42 AM

I've had problems developing a consistent toss since taking up the game last August. Only this week I decided to try a Roddick abreviated motion and instead of pointing my tossing arm straight up had more of an an angle like him and then realised after 30 or so attempts discovered how consistent my toss was :D

I found the key for me was a knee bend like Roddick with a similar trophy pose seem to have solved my toss. I concentrated on the trophy pose and didn't worry about the ball toss and everything went like clock work.

I've modified it slightly as I start my serving motion with a hybrid stance similar to Murray but then morphing into a Roddick like trophy pose. Combined with the trunk rotation plus more leg drive, I now generate more power with my serves.

sureshs 03-10-2012 01:46 PM

Start with your racket face slightly open (i.e., facing upwards at a small angle) like both Roddick and Federer do (if you observe closely), and combined with your abbreviated motion, you will be up there in no time at all.

Can't wait till tomorrow to see if my abbreviated serve Eureka sticks. Sometimes these Eureka moments coincide with all the stars being aligned, and cannot be reproduced.

HEADfamilydynasty 03-10-2012 06:49 PM

Several.

I've had several in the last week. every time i out of the game for winter or a break something just automatically clicks. this week it was volleys and footwork as well as touch volleys. i just started to move my feet without thinking about it let alone practicing it. my first serve suddenly turned into a topspin-slice as i was pronating correctly out of nowhere. i'm hitting short angles so easily its almost like I've practicing in my sleep. the final eureka moment of the week was hitting an inside-out forehand. i just turned my shoulders more and hit it a little late and i had an IOFH.:confused:

TimothyO 03-10-2012 07:01 PM

I've had several over the last year but the most important ones:

- stay loose and use the body to swing the arm which swings the frame whether serving or hitting groundstrokes

- on volleys charge the ball, take it high if possible, and use you movement to drive the ball while punching/slightly slicing down behind the ball for accuracy and to keep the ball bounce low

- most important: the mind and feet are more important than the frame and swing since without ruthless focus and efficient movement you can't hit well no matter how nice your strokes.

- winning isn't just technique...it's technique, physique, and mind...a focused mind produces efficient technique which requires good physique and conditioning....fatigue can destroy technique...nerves can destroy technique...poor technique can drive nerves...poor technique can cause additonal fatigue...they're all related

- find your opponent's weaknesses, fears, and things that annoy him and focus ruthlessly on them and never let him see you tired, frustrated, angry, or demoralized...he will crack.

Djoker91 03-11-2012 08:18 AM

Well here is mine, the one that only worked for a day and never again: having the racket handle above the racket head at contact. Similar to Djokovic. I was KILLING with my forehand. After a 2 day wait, I was clearing the fence. Embarassing. The "aha" moment that has stuck with me and made be much better even today, strange enough, its putting my thumb on the first bevel while hitting the forehand. Instead of wrapping it around the handle like everyone else does, and I used to, this allows me a smooth, Federer like motion that has about 5 inches net clearance and much better control. I lost to my friend, pretty badly. Beat him 6-4 6-3, then 6-1 6-2, 2 days after because he was infuriated. Next is my other friend whom ive NEVER beat before, but if i beat him this weekend, this will be the biggest "aha" moment in my 6 year tennis career! I'll keep you updated!

DeShaun 03-11-2012 04:15 PM

I've never had a Euraka moment centered on some technical piece clicking I was ever able to carry forward. I've had plenty of days when I was laying my wrist waaay back and drilling the forehand like Federer or Del Porto; and days when I could do anything with my serve regardless of whose mannerisms (Soderling's pronounced archer's bow, Pete's massive shoulder turn, Roddick's abbreviated motion into the trophy pose) I happened to be borrowing in myriad combinations on that day. But whenever I thought some watershed moment had finally arrived with respect to the mechanics of my strokes, the leap forward seemed somehow, after a few days, to have evaporated.

The biggest Eureka moment for me was discovering that winning over opponents whose skills were similar to mine has largely to do with simply embracing the fact that this is going to be a dog-fight and I am going to show you in so many little ways repeatedly that you will have to take this from me if you really want it.

fasfsfgs 03-11-2012 04:40 PM

Reading all those posts reminded me when I was very young. I was in one of those Tennis classes filled with kids just learning how to hit the ball. I somehow started applying some topspin in a very weird way (like a slice backwards) but it kinda worked. It was better than no topspin at all at least. Based on my weird movements the teacher said: "Next class we will learn how to do topspins!". =) It felt pretty nice.

I don't know why but that marked me for life. haha. I was like 6 years old and now I'm 25 and I still remember that.

HEADfamilydynasty 03-11-2012 06:36 PM

Another one.

So the last few days i've had trouble with my OHBH. Balls were spraying and at first i didn't understand why. so what happens next is i'm hitting today and notice that theres a difference in my setup from the fall. i wasn't getting under the ball enough nor was i laying back my wrist. once these were applied, voila, my one-hander was back and better than its former glory.8)

thug the bunny 03-12-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 6379661)
My first and biggest still,
was to watch or focus on the ball all the way into contact area.

Back in the days before I had any coaching, I would start to really improve to
a point, then start to get worse and worse. I would eventually get fed up and
quit for a few years before picking up the sport again. It was a pattern I began
to notice, so when I started playing again in 92, I decided I would stick it out to
find out what was going wrong each time. Sure enough, after 4-6 months of steady
improvement, I began my usual slide in performance. This time I was able to
realize that it was due to over confidence leading me look up too soon into the
area where I was hitting to. Once I learned to stay focused on making clean
contact, my game continued to improve for a long while pretty steadily.

^^^^My #1 AHA epiphany not only for all time, but for all sports. Once I learned the importance of ball focus in tennis, I started applying it to all other games/sports. My golf game, for example, got much better.

My latest AHA was using the open stance for TS FH rally shots.

TennisA 03-12-2012 12:59 PM

Probably my most latest "AHA" moment was when I learned to flatten out my forehand. Before, I would always do more of a windshield wiper topspin forehand, and it would always hit the tape. Finally hitting winners with my forehand again lol.