Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Llodra fined. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=416581)

Paul Murphy 03-11-2012 11:30 PM

Llodra fined.

Michael Llodra was fined $US2,500 ($A2,300) for using a racial slur during his opening-round match against Ernests Gulbis at the ATP Tour's Indian Wells tournament, officials said on Sunday.
The French player yelled at a Chinese female supporter of Gulbis during his 6-3 5-7 7-6 (7-3) win over the Latvian on Friday.
The incident was witnessed by Canadian journalist Tom Tebbutt who wrote about it on his social networking Twitter site.
``Sat very first row -- dead centre behind the court for Llodra-Gulbis -- heard a lot. Deplorable behaviour by Llodra -- read next tweet.
``ML smacked ball out of court, threw racquet, called female Gulbis supporter in crowd a '(bleep)ing Chinese.' I confirmed later with brother of woman.''
Officials said Llodra was also verbally abusive towards the ballboys and their coordinator during the match. Besides the fine, Llodra had to apologise for his actions.

AAP.

Big_Dangerous 03-12-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Murphy (Post 6384478)
Michael Llodra was fined $US2,500 ($A2,300) for using a racial slur during his opening-round match against Ernests Gulbis at the ATP Tour's Indian Wells tournament, officials said on Sunday.
The French player yelled at a Chinese female supporter of Gulbis during his 6-3 5-7 7-6 (7-3) win over the Latvian on Friday.
The incident was witnessed by Canadian journalist Tom Tebbutt who wrote about it on his social networking Twitter site.
``Sat very first row -- dead centre behind the court for Llodra-Gulbis -- heard a lot. Deplorable behaviour by Llodra -- read next tweet.
``ML smacked ball out of court, threw racquet, called female Gulbis supporter in crowd a '(bleep)ing Chinese.' I confirmed later with brother of woman.''
Officials said Llodra was also verbally abusive towards the ballboys and their coordinator during the match. Besides the fine, Llodra had to apologise for his actions.

AAP.

Well in that case, I'm glad he was forced to retire today.

I hope he never wins another match in his career.

But seriously, that does sound pretty bad. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Koellerer and start provoke players with racial slurs and epithets. Pretty deplorable behavior considering he's fair good friends with guys like Monfils and Tsonga.

phnx90 03-12-2012 02:29 AM

Someone tell me how this is racist?

nadalwon2012 03-12-2012 02:33 AM

Racist because he is against Chinese people I guess.

Torres 03-12-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phnx90 (Post 6384578)

It's racist because he associates the behaviour which he dislikes with a racial group, which is pretty ignorant and silly. It's the individual and her behaviour which he should be taking a disliking to not the racial group to which she belongs.

It would be like if a guy crashes into my car. I would never say "Damn blacks" or even think it because its the not the race that has anything to do him crashing into my car.

Cormorant 03-12-2012 02:45 AM

Frakkin serve and volleyers, they're all the same.

Big_Dangerous 03-12-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Because he's calling her Chinese, but he doesn't know for a fact that she actually is Chinese.

It's like calling someone a Mexican, when they could be from any number of Latin American countries, or even Spain.

FlamEnemY 03-12-2012 04:25 AM

Quote:

She looks Chinese and he called her Chinese.

It's racist.

I guess.

Bartelby 03-12-2012 04:39 AM

They should have just fined him for abuse as its too difficult to get into an issue like racial abuse unless you have a proper hearing, etc., where wider issues can be canvassed and that would be a ridiculous waste of time and money.

By itself, referring to someone's presumed ethnicity when insulting them is not necessarily racist, especially when you're dealing with people who don't belong to groups having some historically grounded animosity.

li0scc0 03-12-2012 04:41 AM

wow, I didn't realise saying what country somebody was from was racist!
I will have to remember that the next time I have a conference call with our office with my French counterparts. Darn it, I just did it.
Brave New World.

FlamEnemY 03-12-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by li0scc0 (Post 6384671)
wow, I didn't realise saying what country somebody was from was racist!
I will have to remember that the next time I have a conference call with our office with my French counterparts. Darn it, I just did it.
Brave New World.

Also, be sure to never order black coffee.

Bobby Jr 03-12-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeri888 (Post 6384555)
Is it really racist? ...

...I find half the people on this board f*cking americans. ...

Because "Chinese" has clear and obvious ethnic connotations (Asian) whereas "Americans"does not.

Bobby Jr 03-12-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Dangerous (Post 6384609)
It's like calling someone a Mexican, when they could be from any number of Latin American countries, or even Spain.

Sombreros can be a bit misleading sometimes I agree. :lol:

batz 03-12-2012 05:08 AM

Murdering someone because of the colour of their skin is one end of the spectrum of racism and attempting to verbally abuse someone via their race is at the other end of the spectrum of racism - but they're both racism.

batz 03-12-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 6384712)
Because "Chinese" has clear and obvious ethnic connotations (Asian) whereas "Americans"does not.

Ethnicity and race are not the same thing. For example; it is perfectly feasible to be of Scottish ethnicity and be black. 'American' is a perfectly valid ethnicity.

wrxinsc 03-12-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 6384716)
Sombreros can be a bit misleading sometimes I agree. :lol:

that's racis.

phnx90 03-12-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6384583)
It's racist because he associates the behaviour which he dislikes with a racial group, which is pretty ignorant and silly. It's the individual and her behaviour which he should be taking a disliking to not the racial group to which she belongs.

It would be like if a guy crashes into my car. I would never say "Damn blacks" or even think it because its the not the race that has anything to do him crashing into my car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Dangerous (Post 6384609)
Because he's calling her Chinese, but he doesn't know for a fact that she actually is Chinese.

Racism is basically hating on a race based on poor or no justifications (e.g. stereotypes).

If the woman took offence at being labelled a Chinese when she was not, wouldn't that make her the racist? What's wrong with being Chinese?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamEnemY (Post 6384658)
She looks Chinese and he called her Chinese.

It's racist.

I guess.

There are probably in excess of 2 billion Chinese people in the world, including those living overseas and those living in Special Administrative Regions (SAR) like Hong Kong and Macau. Chances of assuming an Asian to be Chinese and getting it right is very high. In fact, you could even say Llodra's unlucky that the woman wasn't Chinese (unless it's one of those people who are ethnically Chinese and think they are Canadian, having lived there for a grand total of about 4 years; I hate those people).

Merely adding the word "****ing" before "Chinese" doesn't make the overall sentence/statement racist. The word is used as an emphasis and nothing more.

Besides, it's not like he could've stopped to ask her name, age, sex (because you know, you could offend transvestites, transsexuals and hermaphrodites who possess most or all the characteristics of a woman, but are not, applying the same logic), nationality, ethnicity and sexual orientation, before mouthing her off on (inter)national TV, right?

jmverdugo 03-12-2012 05:18 AM

I think it is not racist, incredible stupid yes, but not racist.

Bartelby 03-12-2012 05:19 AM

He added a word before Chinese and a word referring to the female genitalia after that word.

So he could be equally accused of gender hatred as well as race hatred but of course hardly a mention of the full insult anywhere.

li0scc0 03-12-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 6384731)
He added a word before Chinese and a word referring to the female genitalia after that word.

So he could be equally accused of gender hatred as well as race hatred but of course hardly a mention of the full insult anywhere.

Of course all of this diminishes the fact that he insulted, not a GROUP of people, but an INDIVIDUAL.

He wasn't being anti-women or anti-Chinese, but rather was insulting to a specific individual.

He should be fined. Not to the extent that Serena Williams was fined, of course, as he did not threaten to kill anybody. But he should be fined, as he insulted an individual.