Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Who's got the worst footwork? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=416849)

dlam 03-13-2012 11:12 PM

Who's got the worst footwork?
 
Okay so I seen some of the best footwork out there.
Anyone got video of top pros who could improve on their footwork?

treblings 03-13-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 6389909)
Okay so I seen some of the best footwork out there.
Anyone got video of top pros who could improve on their footwork?

right forum?:)
the first former pro that comes to mind would be sherwood stewart.

Warriorroger 03-14-2012 12:03 AM

Lindsay davenport

PCXL-Fan 03-14-2012 12:14 AM

Obviously on average extremely tall player are not going to have the reaction timing (thus often coordination) in leg work compared to shorter players. Medically speaking it take appreciably longer for the very tall individuals impulses to travel from the brain down the nerves to the muscles. Which is why for most your fingers have a tiny bit better reaction timing then your toes.

Take a look at some of the tall players on tour, such as Karlovic.

jayoub95 03-14-2012 12:24 AM

IMO Serina Williams doesn't have the best footwork.

treblings 03-14-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCXL-Fan (Post 6389938)
Obviously on average extremely tall player are not going to have the reaction timing (thus often coordination) in leg work compared to shorter players. Medically speaking it take appreciably longer for the very tall individuals impulses to travel from the brain down the nerves to the muscles. Which is why for most your fingers have a tiny bit better reaction timing then your toes.

Take a look at some of the tall players on tour, such as Karlovic.

if you look back on former pros with bad footwork you will probably mention mostly tall players.
this is one area where i believe the level has risen, that taller players today tend to have better footwork than in the past.

jayoub95 03-14-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 6389949)
if you look back on former pros with bad footwork you will probably mention mostly tall players.
this is one area where i believe the level has risen, that taller players today tend to have better footwork than in the past.

Exactly because foot work is extremely important. Tomic is quite tall at 196 cm and he has good foot work. I watched Del Potro play live at the Apia International and his footwork was really good for someone at 198 cm tall.

Limpinhitter 03-14-2012 05:05 AM

Stan Smith was a great player with some pretty poor footwork.

treblings 03-14-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limpinhitter (Post 6390240)
Stan Smith was a great player with some pretty poor footwork.

really? i saw him in the mid 70īs at the indoor event in Vienna and i remember him playing mostly s&v. long time ago though, so canīt say his footwork is something i remember particularly

Limpinhitter 03-14-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 6390272)
really? i saw him in the mid 70īs at the indoor event in Vienna and i remember him playing mostly s&v. long time ago though, so canīt say his footwork is something i remember particularly

Smith had a big serve and covered the net like a blanket. He was almost impossible to lob over because he had a deadly smash on both sides. But, from the ground his footwork and shot preparation was relatively poor.

kiki 03-17-2012 02:32 AM

Smithīs BH was also a big liability.His FH was better, not a great shot compared to other top players, but far more reliable.he was a truly great Serve and Volley man, whose reach made him extremely tough to pass.And kept nerves under pressure extremely well, as proven by his record in majors and, of course, the Davis Cup.Unforgettable matches vs Romania (Nasty and Tiriac) in the early 1970īs...possibly the truly last great Davis Cup years.

treblings 03-17-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 6399005)
...possibly the truly last great Davis Cup years.

for the U.S. you mean?

kiki 03-17-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 6400512)
for the U.S. you mean?

No, because then DC had inmense prestige, which has been going down and down and down, except for some countries like Sweden,France,Australia and, very recently, Spain.Just look at the crowds

treblings 03-17-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 6400568)
No, because then DC had inmense prestige, which has been going down and down and down, except for some countries like Sweden,France,Australia and, very recently, Spain.Just look at the crowds

i can see your point. davis cup was much more important for the players back then. possibly because the national federations played a more important role? or maybe because players from the same nation would travel and train together all the time and feel more like a team?

kiki 03-17-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 6400602)
i can see your point. davis cup was much more important for the players back then. possibly because the national federations played a more important role? or maybe because players from the same nation would travel and train together all the time and feel more like a team?

Both reasons but, mainly, there was less money involved in tennis and only the majors and DC counted.

li0scc0 03-17-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 6389909)
Okay so I seen some of the best footwork out there.
Anyone got video of top pros who could improve on their footwork?

Current or former?

Current Raonic, it is terrible.

robow7 03-17-2012 07:50 PM

McEnroe's wasn't the greatest, but he had incredible eyes and the best hands ever that made up for it.

ttwarrior1 03-20-2012 12:13 AM

agassi......

kimbahpnam 03-20-2012 12:44 AM

Karlovic...

morten 03-20-2012 12:50 AM

Alexander Volkov, virtually non existing


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse