Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   donnay super touring model 20x18 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=416858)

joe sch 03-14-2012 03:49 AM

donnay super touring model 20x18
 
Though a few may enjoy seeing this model that is not too common:

Donnay SuperMid Touring with cap like grommets and a dense 20x18 string pattern.
Its one of my donnay rackets in my collection and I have never played it but it looks like it would be a great control racket.
I also like the rounded butt cap end on many of the donnay models from that era.
Anybody ever play it ?

http://s920.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_2249.jpg

If you look in that folder, I show some of the other donnay rackets in my collection.

http://s920.photobucket.com/albums/a...agassi_models/

joe sch 03-17-2012 05:10 AM

Surprised there were no comments, guess nobody played it ? Still a very nice collectible to display since its rather unique for a donnay, more like a cross between a head and a pro kennex.

MAXXply 03-17-2012 06:00 AM

I dunno about you but that contoured "Coke bottle" grip takes some getting used to. I hated that shape.

joe sch 03-17-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 6399187)
I dunno about you but that contoured "Coke bottle" grip takes some getting used to. I hated that shape.

Sound like you have tried them ?

They were actually more common and somewhat popular in the early 1900s. There were lots of different contoured shaped handles and the bottle shaped ones were called bulbous. Fan tails and fish tail handles were also fashionable. A really scarce type of handle was the bat end, which was shaped like the baseball bat with a bottle cap butt end. I do think most all the more serious players used conventional grips although some of those had different types of incised wood cutouts to help the gripping. Leather and cloth grips were a big performance improvement that the manufactures added in the early 1930s.

big ted 03-18-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe sch (Post 6390122)
Though a few may enjoy seeing this model that is not too common:

Donnay SuperMid Touring with cap like grommets and a dense 20x18 string pattern.
Its one of my donnay rackets in my collection and I have never played it but it looks like it would be a great control racket.
I also like the rounded butt cap end on many of the donnay models from that era.
Anybody ever play it ?

http://s920.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_2249.jpg

If you look in that folder, I show some of the other donnay rackets in my collection.

http://s920.photobucket.com/albums/a...agassi_models/


donnays version of the head prestige racquet is what ive heard..

Steve Huff 03-22-2012 03:33 PM

It looks as if it has CAP grommets. They sure made a rainbow of colors back then.

Rock Strongo 03-23-2012 01:20 PM

Now THAT'S a string pattern I approve of!

*Lovin' my 20x19 Carbonex*

SFrazeur 08-23-2012 06:25 PM

I picked up one of these today for $3. Any comments on the play-ability?

t-swede 08-24-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFrazeur (Post 6829561)
I picked up one of these today for $3. Any comments on the play-ability?

good find was it decent shape ?

SFrazeur 08-24-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-swede (Post 6830460)
good find was it decent shape ?

Probably 8/10 at the lest. 4-3/8. 348g / 12.2oz. Strung with synthgut. Complete with matching bag. I'm going to give it a hit later today. Wish it didn't have these silly feeling bulbous handle on it.

-SF

Orion3 11-19-2012 03:16 AM

I played with this in the late 80's & early 90's.

Great racquet, good blend of control and power. Had an anatomical grip - loved it as i had a 2hbh

The butt on this was shaped the same as the revolutive series (had a few of them too). They had screw in weights that allowed you to change the balance of the racquet.

joe sch 11-19-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion3 (Post 7024076)
I played with this in the late 80's & early 90's.

Great racquet, good blend of control and power. Had an anatomical grip - loved it as i had a 2hbh

The butt on this was shaped the same as the revolutive series (had a few of them too). They had screw in weights that allowed you to change the balance of the racquet.

Yes indeed, a very beautiful racket for many reasons. These countered or bottle shaped handles were popular for the early 1900s wood racquets and called bulbous handles. Check out the pair in the middle of the below combo picture also showing some fish tail and fan tail handle rackets.

http://www.woodtennis.com/oddhandles/oddHandlesa.jpg

t-swede 06-20-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe sch (Post 7024156)
Yes indeed, a very beautiful racket for many reasons. These countered or bottle shaped handles were popular for the early 1900s wood racquets and called bulbous handles. Check out the pair in the middle of the below combo picture also showing some fish tail and fan tail handle rackets.

http://www.woodtennis.com/oddhandles/oddHandlesa.jpg

it appears that this racket came in a 110 sq inch and a 97 inch version . tw sold the bosworth 110 version in the early 2000s in the vintage section .

Hannah19 06-20-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 6399187)
I dunno about you but that contoured "Coke bottle" grip takes some getting used to. I hated that shape.

I recently bought a Tecno Pro `Explosion 50 in n.o.s. condition. I used to play one during the early 1990's and this one also has that ergo coke bottle shaped handle. I rather like the feel of it together with the Balmforth sticky leather grip I put around it. The Explosion 50 model was an oversized Wilson Profile look a like but with a more subtle dual tapered beam. And it was slightly head light. Loads of power, I have to adjust the string tension because most of my shots were long.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse