Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Need Help! What is the best Tennis Elbow Support/Brace? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=416894)

tonibabes 03-14-2012 10:50 AM

Need Help! What is the best Tennis Elbow Support/Brace?
 
I have been suffering Tennis Elbow for 10 months now(thanks to Babolat APDGT & RPM Blast :mad:) I already switch to arm friendly racquets & strings(Prince EXO3 Tour strung w/ Tech X-1 Biphase). Since the switch, the pain has lessen to 50%. I had been using the Band IT strap for a couple of months now and it really helps a lot in reducing the pain. But the one thing I don't like about the Band IT is it slips out of my forearm when I began to sweat. I tried tightening the strap but It only cuts off circulation on my hand. I also tried the Tourna AirCell but it didn't do much on reducing the pain and it's not very durable. I need some other recommendations for Tennis Elbow Support/Brace because there is only a few feedbacks on TW site. Thanks...

wrxinsc 03-14-2012 11:08 AM

Theraband three times a day religiously and a switch to 2hbh for rally bh's. i still crank a 1hbh now and again though. That's what has pushed my TE back to where i now only feel twinges during tournament type back to back play.

This is the theraband >
http://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Y0A2...1748464&sr=8-4

scotus 03-14-2012 11:49 AM

Just wear a long wrist band (double length) right under your Band It, and it won't slip/slide down anymore.

jk816 03-14-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 6391076)
Just wear a long wrist band (double length) right under your Band It, and it won't slip/slide down anymore.

I cut the upper part off some cotton athletic socks and wear that under the band-it; gets additional use out of worn out socks and you can get a few sleeves per sock!

The Band-it was what the teaching pros as my club recommended to me. Better than the neoprene one I had been using but broke

tonibabes 03-15-2012 08:40 AM

Thank you guys! Problem solved - just a wrist band underneath the Band IT.

scotus 03-15-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonibabes (Post 6393661)
Thank you guys! Problem solved - just a wrist band underneath the Band IT.

Yes, just to clarify, put on the Band It first, and then a wrist band (I like a long one) so that the edge of the wrist band would keep the Band It from sliding down.

It works.

SystemicAnomaly 03-15-2012 02:39 PM

An elbow brace like Band-It can be an excellent feedback device. Adjust the brace so that it is snug, but not overly tight when the forearm is in a relaxed state. If you squeeze the handle of your racquet too tightly, too soon or too often, the brace should remind you to relax your grip.

If you grip too tightly and too often, the action can contribute to your TE.

Ramon 03-15-2012 04:15 PM

I thought the Band IT was cheaply made and was not very effective. You can hardly tell there's any magnetic power at all. If you aren't satisfied with the Band IT, I recommend the Therion. BTW...thanks to my new racquet, the Pro Kennex Ki 5x, I don't need it anymore. :)

http://www.therionmagnetics.com/plat...w-support.html

scotus 03-15-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 6394618)
An elbow brace like Band-It can be an excellent feedback device. Adjust the brace so that it is snug, but not overly tight when the forearm is in a relaxed state. If you squeeze the handle of your racquet too tightly, too soon or too often, the brace should remind you to relax your grip.

If you grip too tightly and too often, the action can contribute to your TE.

That's a great point, SA.

mikeler 03-16-2012 09:59 AM

Don't forget to do forward and reverse wrist curls in addition to the theraband flexbar to strengthen the forearm muscles.

BorgCash 09-04-2014 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxinsc (Post 6390976)
Theraband three times a day religiously and a switch to 2hbh for rally bh's. i still crank a 1hbh now and again though. That's what has pushed my TE back to where i now only feel twinges during tournament type back to back play.

This is the theraband >
http://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Y0A2...1748464&sr=8-4

Hello, read your old advice about theraband. What stiffness (colour) of theraband flexbar can you recommend in case of tennis elbow?
Thank you.

struggle 09-04-2014 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorgCash (Post 8702633)
Hello, read your old advice about theraband. What stiffness (colour) of theraband flexbar can you recommend in case of tennis elbow?
Thank you.

I'm using the red one and the green one. Bought two so i'd always have one around but they both seem to work similarly. (I didn't see buying two of the same "tension", but honestly they aren't that much different.....not so much as to prefer one over the other, I just twist the red one further than the green).

I'm using it primarily for GE as opposed to TE.

tennytive 09-04-2014 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 6393931)
Yes, just to clarify, put on the Band It first, and then a wrist band (I like a long one) so that the edge of the wrist band would keep the Band It from sliding down.

It works.

I put the wristband on, then the Epigel band (TW) over that. Doesn't slip off, and won't get too tight since I now don't have to worry about it moving.

Don't know why it took me 3 years to figure that out though. :?

struggle 09-04-2014 07:06 AM

I have used some of the spray on "stick um" to keep my
band-IT in place with some success.

also, sometimes i wear an elbow sleeve (Nikken brand) underneath my band-IT and it doesn't slip that way.

i also just wear the elbow sleeve at times.

BorgCash 09-04-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by struggle (Post 8702763)
I'm using the red one and the green one. Bought two so i'd always have one around but they both seem to work similarly. (I didn't see buying two of the same "tension", but honestly they aren't that much different.....not so much as to prefer one over the other, I just twist the red one further than the green).

I'm using it primarily for GE as opposed to TE.

Thank you. I understand that different stiffness of these bars comes from their different thickness. Is it better use the bar that is close in thickness to tennis racquet handle thickness or it doesn't matter, just need to get the right tension? And is it really help you (i think so ) that quick?

Tennis Truth 09-04-2014 09:41 AM

If the brace is sliding off, I think it is put on too loose, sweat notwithstanding. I use that brace and if it is that loose, I don't think it is doing much good. It is a counterforce brace, so it does need to squeeze a bit against the muscle/tendon. Experiment with different tensions, but there is a window between "sliding off" and "cutting off blood supply." My opinion is you need to be closer to the latter to get any effect.

Fintft 09-04-2014 11:25 AM

I still think you can do better in terms of equippment:

I.e. when I had TE I couldn't play with full bed natural gut until I've lowered the tension from 58/56 to 52/50 and also the racket you are using is still on the lighter side...

struggle 09-04-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorgCash (Post 8702915)
Thank you. I understand that different stiffness of these bars comes from their different thickness. Is it better use the bar that is close in thickness to tennis racquet handle thickness or it doesn't matter, just need to get the right tension? And is it really help you (i think so ) that quick?

most seem to think the red one is best to start with. it is pretty close to racket handle size. the green one is thicker.

yes, the stiffness is due to size, i think the rubber compound is the same.

it seems to work, but i'm not as regimented about it as i should be.

movdqa 09-04-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxinsc (Post 6390976)
Theraband three times a day religiously and a switch to 2hbh for rally bh's. i still crank a 1hbh now and again though. That's what has pushed my TE back to where i now only feel twinges during tournament type back to back play.

This is the theraband >
http://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Y0A2...1748464&sr=8-4

Theraband is great for recovery and prevention.

The 2HBH doesn't work for me.

6 months of rest worked. The arm cuffs were too much of a nuisance for me to keep on while playing. Taking time off probably got me back on the courts the quickest.

I use the green one because there's one in the office gym. I find it on the easy side though. I'd buy the biggest one if I were going to buy it myself.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse