Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Priority One Stringing and Customization; Ask your questions here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=417083)

drakulie 03-15-2012 08:34 PM

Priority One Stringing and Customization; Ask your questions here

Hey everyone. I spoke to Ron Yu of Priority One Stringing and Customization service, and the guys have agreed to give me a "behind the scenes" look at their work while they are in Miami for the Sony Ericsson.

Priority One consists of Ron Yu, Nate Ferguson, and Glynn Roberts. For those of you who are not aware, Priority One provides stringing and customization for players such as Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Djokovic, Tsonga, etc, etc, etc.

If you have any questions/comments you would like to me to ask when I meet up with them, please leave them here, and I will do my best to get answers for you. When I am done, I will start a thread with photos/vids, answers to your questions, and of course a report on the behind the scenes.

Thanks!

zapvor 03-15-2012 09:31 PM

thanks drak!

can you please ask them how much lead, if any Fed has in his frame, and the static weight?

bertrevert 03-15-2012 10:00 PM

Obviously they listen to the player's wishes first and foremost but do they ever find themselves suggesting solutions? If they do, then can they give any examples of a customisation suggestion?

(and how they arrived at their suggestion - I'm wondering how they think it through?)

TimothyO 03-16-2012 02:59 AM

1. What's their approach to achieving the most even stringbed tension and performance?

2. If and when a client changes frames what's their process to determining customization? do they spend time courtside with a client? Or do they get the target specs from the client?

3. What level of detail do they get from clients for stringing instructions? For example, in hybrids, do they get instructions as to which tie off points to use?

Irvin 03-16-2012 03:30 AM

'drakulie' Thanks for doing this I have two questions

1 - Which is most important to match up in a racket?
a - Swing weight
b - Static weight
c - Balance point
d - Racket length
e - All of the above

2 - Is the swing weight for all players computed from the same reference point 10 cm from the butt or do they use different distances for different players?

Rabbit 03-16-2012 04:01 AM

do players even know or care? or do they just say...make it like this one

Torres 03-16-2012 04:02 AM

What do they think of L-Tec's 'secret sauce' stringing method?

(I guess they'll probably be too polite to answer)

Or to put the question in a potentially less controversial way, why do they not string with different tension differentials across the different mains, the different crosses etc, for any of the pros that they string for? Have they tried it? What have been their experiences?

origmarm 03-16-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6395775)
1. What's their approach to achieving the most even stringbed tension and performance?

3. What level of detail do they get from clients for stringing instructions? For example, in hybrids, do they get instructions as to which tie off points to use?

I second these two.

I'd also be interested to hear if clients specify particular ATW patterns if any use them as I've seen different ones used by different tournament stringing companies.

Lastly do they travel with an RDC? Other large kit? I know they use Bab Star series machines as they can transport them and take the base off but not if they take any other large kit?

Hominator 03-16-2012 05:59 AM

Thanks for doing this, Drakulie.

1. What tips do they have for home stringers

2. What kind of machine do they recommend for someone getting in to home stringing?

Thanks!

Pavlos 03-16-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6395813)

a - Swing weight
b - Static weight
c - Balance point
d - Racket length
e - All of the above

2 - Is the swing weight for all players computed from the same reference point 10 cm from the butt or do they use different distances for different players?

I'd love an answer to these questions too.

esgee48 03-16-2012 07:10 AM

And now that we have inundated them with questions, we should thank P1 in advance. :twisted:

Power Player 03-16-2012 07:26 AM

Drak, ill be staying on key biscane the 21st and 22nd..when will you be there?

ART ART 03-16-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6395813)

a - Swing weight
b - Static weight
c - Balance point
d - Racket length
e - All of the above

This would be nice to know...

Thanks

Xpherex 03-16-2012 08:10 AM

Have they ever customized Yonex RQiS Tour 1 (As some say Hewitt didn't use it, only PJ)? If they did what was the setup? (weight, balance, swing weight, etc...)

topspin18 03-16-2012 01:17 PM

If u could ask if more players are starting to go back to a hybrid with natural gut again?

Power Player 03-17-2012 04:09 PM

My question would be how they match up swingweight to the players build, height and experience level.

Basically any tips on finding the proper swingweight.

Radicalized 03-17-2012 05:24 PM

Drakulie:

I'd like to hear their thoughts on grip sizes and shapes in regard to today's racquets and player power and styles (i.e. how they fit them, is a customized shape better?, etc...) Does it affect serves in any way?

Also, and this has nothing (for me) to do with any "special" stringing methods not to be named now, but just their thoughts on low(er) tensions for polys (when using a full bed). I've been stringing them in the upper 40s...because it works for me, to leave it at something simple.

Thanks.

J.Lee42 03-17-2012 05:58 PM

My question would be: how do they make their customizing so perfect?

jgreen06 03-17-2012 06:12 PM

How do they choose what pallet/grip shape to use? Is there some "golden frame" from their junior days that the players give them to duplicate or does P1 have a library of tons of shapes for them to try out?

Thanks drak

drakulie 03-17-2012 06:21 PM

Great questions guys/gals. I'll make sure to do my best in getting some insight.

Thanks, and keep em coming.