Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Any Info on the 2013 Wilson BLX Blade? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=417297)

srvnvly 03-17-2012 06:38 PM

Any Info on the 2013 Wilson BLX Blade?

I know it's WAY too early to be discussing this, but just in case someone is 'in the know,' is there a version planned for next year? I think I read somewhere (maybe on the TW boards when all of the new Fed racquet) that the Blade line may be discontinued.

li0scc0 03-17-2012 07:04 PM

I hope not. I was hoping they would go back to a thinner (20mm) beam with a higher stiffness (66-68) like the K.Blade. Frankly, the specs on the KBLADE were about perfect. 11.1-11.2, 325-327 SW, 67 flex. I adjusted with lead and leather and voila, perfection.
The BLX Blade felt dead, had too high of a swingweight, and too thick of a beam to be called a 'blade'. Plus, it was ugly (although the pink was kind of fun). The KBLADE was a sharp looking stick.

Arthuro 03-17-2012 07:21 PM

^^^Agreed. They messed up with the BLx Blade. I still have some K Blades, but I guess no one wants them anymore.

UCSF2012 03-17-2012 07:55 PM

I actually like the BLX Blade. A lot. Very powerful with awesome placement. Low spin though.

fed27 03-17-2012 11:25 PM

just bought 2 BLX BLADE.. lot of power yet easy to control.. have no idea about the KBLADE though..

li0scc0 03-18-2012 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthuro (Post 6402735)
^^^Agreed. They messed up with the BLx Blade. I still have some K Blades, but I guess no one wants them anymore.

Crazy isn't it? this was the top selling racquet at one time. The most usable 18x20, in my opinion.

chaddles 03-19-2012 12:09 AM

I used both K Blades & BLX Blade 98's and I found both to be great racquets, & no preference really. The K had a more direct feel while the BLX was definitely more muted. Great combo of power & control & when strung with a nice thin gauge string to generate a little extra spin & pop.

MomentumGT 03-19-2012 01:03 AM

I personally loved both the kblade & blxblade. I enjoyed the extra swing weight of the blx on the 2hb especially. I feel both are very similar to each other but I felt more confident with volleys with the kblade and felt I served better as well. Hope they don't discontinue this line.

-Jon

chaddles 04-19-2012 02:16 PM

Definitely new Blade line for next season. No real details except the graphic style will follow the other BLX2 sticks

srvnvly 04-19-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddles (Post 6474682)
Definitely new Blade line for next season. No real details except the graphic style will follow the other BLX2 sticks

just curious how you heard this - I stupidly asked Wilson about the Blade line for next year and they gave me some stupid BS, non-surprising answer

ASH1485 04-19-2012 08:49 PM

Currently using blx blade and used to have the K blade ... loved them both but the Blx got more power though and is a major improvement from the blade in every department.
Just curious how Wilson can make a better one. I think a thinner beam and a lower swing weight would make it a perfect stick.

Currently switching to PS BLX 95 for a more HL racket , but still need to know how to customize it to make it play like the blade.

UCSF2012 04-19-2012 09:34 PM

For you guys who are in love with thin beams, do you understand that wide beams contribute to increased power? Upon ball impact, the thickness of the beam counters racket bend, giving the frame more power. That's mostly why those tweeners are 24-27 inches wide.

ASH1485 04-20-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCSF2012 (Post 6475364)
For you guys who are in love with thin beams, do you understand that wide beams contribute to increased power? Upon ball impact, the thickness of the beam counters racket bend, giving the frame more power. That's mostly why those tweeners are 24-27 inches wide.

I dont think the blx blade is a tweener racket. Juice yes but not the blade.
It could have a slightly thinner beam not like the one on the PS for sure.

aceroberts13 04-20-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCSF2012 (Post 6475364)

Yes, but it isn't quite that simple. There are other factors to be considered as well. Weight, stiffness, layup of frame, head size, player's ball striking ability, etc.

srvnvly 04-20-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASH1485 (Post 6475310)
I think a thinner beam and a lower swing weight would make it a perfect stick.

Currently switching to PS BLX 95 for a more HL racket , but still need to know how to customize it to make it play like the blade.

I actually like the thickness of the BLX Blade 98 - if the swingweight was around 325 - 328, it would be close to the perfect racquet, and I'm more of more open string patterns!

UCSF2012 04-20-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceroberts13 (Post 6475914)
Yes, but it isn't quite that simple. There are other factors to be considered as well. Weight, stiffness, layup of frame, head size, player's ball striking ability, etc.

You don't say? Well crap, why didn't I think of that?

Taking the Blade 2013 to K Factor thickness would likely remove serious power. I'd rather they keep the BLX Blade Tour thickness the way it is.

MomentumGT 04-20-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCSF2012 (Post 6476673)

Taking the Blade 2013 to K Factor thickness would likely remove serious power. I'd rather they keep the BLX Blade Tour thickness the way it is.

Agreed. It's a good stick already. I don't know where they can improve it...other than Wilson's quality control LOL.

-Jon

aceroberts13 04-21-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCSF2012 (Post 6476673)
You don't say? Well crap, why didn't I think of that?

My point was: I think everyone commenting prior to you fully realizes the effects a thinner or thicker beam can have. You just kind of unnecessarily stated the obvious and it really wasn't even completely true. You could have a racquet with a thicker beam and it be more flexible or less stable upon ball impact than a similar frame with a thinner beam and vice versa.

MattPrevidi 04-21-2012 08:16 AM

I had heard from multiple sources that the blade line is going to be discontinued as well. Furthermore I feel the similar beam style of the steam supports this. It is basically a similar frame in shape that is slightly thicker. I think wilson understands it messed with a good thing and now has just decided to forget about it and move on.

UCSF2012 04-21-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceroberts13 (Post 6478330)
My point was: I think everyone commenting prior to you fully realizes the effects a thinner or thicker beam can have. You just kind of unnecessarily stated the obvious and it really wasn't even completely true. You could have a racquet with a thicker beam and it be more flexible or less stable upon ball impact than a similar frame with a thinner beam and vice versa.

Geez Sherlock, what an epiphany! Hit the ball harder, and you get a more powerful shot. Perhaps you could teach us about how stepping in with your weight creates more power, or using more powerful strings to generate more pace, or using a racket with a bigger head to generate pace, or any multitude of things to increase power. I don't think any of us know that at all. No need to consult Dr. Watson on this one.

My point was...no they don't. This is an engineering design matter, and they don't have the slightest clue what beam width does. They just rant on about how they love the 16mm beam of the PS85, how they love the box beam design, why don't they come out with a thin beam Blade, etc, etc etc. They don't have the slightest clue that these beam designs HINDER a racket's performance. Thus the blind suggestion returning to the KFActor thin beam design.