Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is Robbie Koenig for real? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=417454)

Magnus 03-19-2012 12:19 AM

Is Robbie Koenig for real?
 
From his twitter:

"Lhyani makes a lotta decisions that seem to go the way of Federer....."


It was so clear that he's rooting for Nadal in the SF and he was basically speechless when Fed was dominating. He's a good commentator but his credibility is going downhill.

joeri888 03-19-2012 12:29 AM

He shouldn't do that. THe umpire hardly has any influence these days. I like Koenig but I'd like him to at least appear impartial. Not that I cant take it that there are Nadalfans among commentators, I just dont want to know about it when I hear them commentate

monfed 03-19-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbengte (Post 6406398)
FWIW , here is the official word from the ATP rulebook :

O. Toilet Break
1) A player may be permitted to leave the court for a toilet break. A player is entitled to one (1) toilet break during a best of three set match and two (2) toilet breaks during a best of five set match. Toilet breaks should be taken on a set break and can be used for no other purpose.

Interesting that the *******, didn't even mention the Nadal's rule violation.

MAXXply 03-19-2012 12:47 AM

Unless someone tells the real story of how Koenig scored the dream job of getting paid "the BIG BUCKS!!!" to follow the ATP Tour, I will remain convinced that the only reason this ATP journeyman got the gig is via working some tenuous connection between him and fellow South African Etienne de Villiers, the man who used to run the ATP a few years ago. You know, the South African old boys network or something like that...

Polvorin 03-19-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 6406509)
Interesting that the *******, didn't even mention the Nadal's rule violation.

Furthermore, did he ever mention anything about his time violations during the match?

Rhino 03-19-2012 12:51 AM

I think Koenig is one of the best commentators out there.

When I lived in the UK I had to put up with Andrew Castle. It almost meant I had to watch tennis with the sound off, he is so bad.

Koenig's tennis insight is usually very good and whether he is a Nadal fan or not, he usually gives Federer a lot of credit.

Magnus 03-19-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino (Post 6406536)
I think Koenig is one of the best commentators out there.

When I lived in the UK I had to put up with Andrew Castle. It almost meant I had to watch tennis with the sound off, he is so bad.

Koenig's tennis insight is usually very good and whether he is a Nadal fan or not, he usually gives Federer a lot of credit.

I too think he knows how to call tennis - that's not the issue here. I can even accept he's a ******* and I can understand why commentators are not 100% objective - they are human after all, and have their favorites. What I can't understand nor accpect is Robbie question the umpire'e decisions for favoring Fed (which is clearly false) like your usual TT *******, and completely ignore ALL of Nadal's constant rule violations.

Magnus 03-19-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polvorin (Post 6406535)
Furthermore, did he ever mention anything about his time violations during the match?

He will never say anything that will sound even remotley critical of Nadal. I will never forget the Madrid match where Jason and Rob basically said that Roger's win over Nadal in 2009 was basically a fluke and almost laughed at Roger during the whole match.

Sartorius 03-19-2012 02:18 AM

Lahyani had a rather poor week in my opinion, some bad calls. I think his pleasant nature might be preventing players from questioning his calls.

Koenig is cool.

BeHappy 03-19-2012 03:22 AM

What about the bathroom break?

Magnus 03-19-2012 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sartorius (Post 6406624)
Lahyani had a rather poor week in my opinion, some bad calls. I think his pleasant nature might be preventing players from questioning his calls.

Koenig is cool.

He had a mistake with DP wanting to challenge that he couldn't really do much about. What else?

Sartorius 03-19-2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus (Post 6406701)
He had a mistake with DP wanting to challenge that he couldn't really do much about. What else?

There was one more bad call in that match and one more in another match, if I remember correctly.

I guess it happens though. He's one of the better ones still.

bjk 03-19-2012 03:49 AM

Insight isn't really Koenig's thing . . . he's more of a "goooooooal" kind of guy.

sihatch19 03-19-2012 04:49 AM

im a Fed fan and Koenig says great things about Fed all the time. I personally think Lleyani is way to involved with the matches, but i think he means well

Sentinel 03-19-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeri888 (Post 6406502)
He shouldn't do that. THe umpire hardly has any influence these days. I like Koenig but I'd like him to at least appear impartial. Not that I cant take it that there are Nadalfans among commentators, I just dont want to know about it when I hear them commentate

I used to think he was a big ******* last year or so. However, this year I have heard him being critical of Nadal. Several times, not once, he has brought out how much time Rafa takes between serves, that it exceeds the recommended time, and compared it to Fred.

Of late, he's been complementing Fred a lot. I think he's okay.

Also, Lahyani has made a lot of good overrules. One mistake today should not invalidate his correct overrules. As far as Lahyani being a *******, I've heard Fred arguing with him and once being rather rude, I dont think he'd continue being a Fredtard after that.

woodrow1029 03-19-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 6406509)
Interesting that the *******, didn't even mention the Nadal's rule violation.

Which was quoting this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbengte
FWIW , here is the official word from the ATP rulebook :

O. Toilet Break
1) A player may be permitted to leave the court for a toilet break. A player is entitled to one (1) toilet break during a best of three set match and two (2) toilet breaks during a best of five set match. Toilet breaks should be taken on a set break and can be used for no other purpose.
The rule is should not can only. I did not see that part of the match when Nadal took a toilet break, but if it's an emergency, then he can go.

jokinla 03-19-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino (Post 6406536)
I think Koenig is one of the best commentators out there.

When I lived in the UK I had to put up with Andrew Castle. It almost meant I had to watch tennis with the sound off, he is so bad.

Koenig's tennis insight is usually very good and whether he is a Nadal fan or not, he usually gives Federer a lot of credit.

True dat, I'll take him over whiny Doug Adler or Gimelsuck ANY day of the week.

DavaiMarat 03-19-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino (Post 6406536)
I think Koenig is one of the best commentators out there.

When I lived in the UK I had to put up with Andrew Castle. It almost meant I had to watch tennis with the sound off, he is so bad.

Koenig's tennis insight is usually very good and whether he is a Nadal fan or not, he usually gives Federer a lot of credit.

I too enjoy Robby's insights and calm demeanor. Sam Gore(?) on the other hand seems really bad sometimes. I think I was watching a Fed match where it sounded like he was about to bend over for Fed. Yes it was that bad.

I don't mind a little admiration but he wouldn't shut up about Fed and his GREATNESS. I like Roger but it was ridiculous.

kishnabe 03-19-2012 11:42 AM

Koenig maybe a ******* ( not suprised he said that) but at least he is cool one compared to Nadalwoneverything.

Banger 03-20-2012 01:25 PM

He might be a nadal fan but from what I have heard from him over the years he is just as big a federer fan. Like one said he seems like and old school kinda guy and because of that I think he admires Nadal for his hustle and work ethic. On the other hand he might view federer as having lack of heart and hustle sometimes. Either way he is probably one of the best announcers and I always enjoy when he is on.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse