Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How many Wimbledon titles will John Isner win? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=417506)

jdubbs 03-19-2012 10:38 AM

How many Wimbledon titles will John Isner win?

After beating top ranked opponents, improving his serve and volley and all around game, I believe John Isner has a Wimbledon title in his future.
Todays question is how many will he win?

li0scc0 03-19-2012 10:40 AM

Given that Wimbledon is NOW a slow and low bouncing court, I would say zero titles.
His best chance is at the French. The high bounce on clay will not affect him, and helps get balls into his sweet spot.

MichaelNadal 03-19-2012 10:54 AM

None. He needs much better endurance before he can worry about making the final sunday of a slam.

kishnabe 03-19-2012 11:40 AM

One.....which is doubles with Sam Querrey.

He has no chance in the singles....maybe he can annoy and defeat one of the top 4. Most likely Mugrim or Fred.

In the end Nole and Raga would take him out.

Nathaniel_Near 03-19-2012 11:41 AM

I think he can win 6 or 7 Wimbledon titles. Maybe even 11.

Nah, 1 max, but I doubt it.

kragster 03-19-2012 11:42 AM

Not more than 26 but not less than 12.

tacou 03-19-2012 11:53 AM

he could win 1..hard to say though, it'd have to be 2-3 seasons from now when Rafa/Novak aren't as lethal, but by then Raonic or someone else might be in dangerous form, and after that Isner starts getting old.

If he could make a QF/SF this year then we will talk.

batz 03-19-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacou (Post 6407776)
he could win 1..hard to say though, it'd have to be 2-3 seasons from now when Rafa/Novak aren't as lethal, but by then Raonic or someone else might be in dangerous form, and after that Isner starts getting old.

If he could make a QF/SF this year then we will talk.

3 season from now, Big John will be a few weeks away from his 30th birthday.

jokinla 03-19-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelNadal (Post 6407650)
None. He needs much better endurance before he can worry about making the final sunday of a slam.

So winning 70-68 in the fifth doesn't quite prove his endurance.

Hood_Man 03-19-2012 12:37 PM

Over nine THOUUUSAAAND!!!

I think he'd do quite well to reach a quarter or semi final to be honest. He's a good player but if he slips on the grass in a rally he's not nimble enough to get back in the point, which everyone will take advantage of.

He's not the first player to beat a world #1, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic until he proves he can hang with the top 8 consistently.

I do think he's got years left to develop though. He was such a relative latecomer that he won't build up a lot of mileage for a while yet, so even at 26 he's not too old.

treblings 03-19-2012 12:53 PM

no singles titles for big john. wimbledon grass is way to slow these days to do an ivanisevic, the rest of his game is mediocre

Nathaniel_Near 03-19-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 6407914)
no singles titles for big john. wimbledon grass is way to slow these days to do an ivanisevic, the rest of his game is mediocre

Was at All England for Finals weekend the other day, big shame about LCW retiring during the second set of the final! Thought you might know what I'm talking about given your racket sports avatar. :)

tacou 03-19-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batz (Post 6407823)
3 season from now, Big John will be a few weeks away from his 30th birthday.

I can't imagine his game being that much different, he'll probably just be starting his physical decline, but much more experienced

Leto 03-19-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubbs (Post 6407607)
After beating top ranked opponents, improving his serve and volley and all around game, I believe John Isner has a Wimbledon title in his future.
Todays question is how many will he win?

I want you to feel happy and contented when you go to bed tonight, so I will say 27 Wimby's GUARANTEED, for John "Grass GOAT" Isner :)

Hitman 03-19-2012 01:16 PM

He's got a long way to go yet imo.

Mainad 03-19-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 6407879)
Over nine THOUUUSAAAND!!!
I do think he's got years left to develop though. He was such a relative latecomer that he won't build up a lot of mileage for a while yet, so even at 26 he's not too old.

Actually, he's just a month away from turning 27.

mattennis 03-19-2012 01:50 PM

He is not winning any single title there. He needs to volley waaaaay better to be able to do it, and improve dramatically his movements (very difficult to do given his height).

jayoub95 03-19-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by li0scc0 (Post 6407616)
Given that Wimbledon is NOW a slow and low bouncing court, I would say zero titles.
His best chance is at the French. The high bounce on clay will not affect him, and helps get balls into his sweet spot.

Agreed agreed and he hasn't even been to semis of a slam in his life and he is 26 years old.

treblings 03-19-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaniel_Near (Post 6407942)
Was at All England for Finals weekend the other day, big shame about LCW retiring during the second set of the final! Thought you might know what I'm talking about given your racket sports avatar. :)

i come to badminton via the unknown sport of racketlon:) started playing about 3 years ago and love it.
the all england must be terrific to watch. itīs just not the same on tv.

ledwix 03-19-2012 02:43 PM

He is arrogant enough to win, but not quite good enough from the baseline. Plus there is the lack of experience factor which would probably cause him to make some nervous, goofy, crucial mistakes in a grand slam final against one of the big 3. The service box at Wimbledon still plays like a medium-slow grass court, but the yellow dead grass around the baseline during the final few days just seems like clay.