Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Has anyone ever used dmso (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=417600)

ttwarrior1 03-20-2012 12:00 AM

Has anyone ever used dmso

if you don't know what it is, then i doubt you have, thanks

Im considering buying a cream with aloe vera.

It's also in penetrex but not a big ammount i believe

scotus 03-20-2012 01:42 AM

Search for it. Robert (the member with a cyclist avatar) and some others have used it in the past.

SystemicAnomaly 03-20-2012 09:16 AM

Yes. It is converted to MSM in the body but it penetrates the skin and tissue much better. Also has the ability to drive other substances deep. Will try to dig up that other thread.

Sentinel 03-20-2012 09:36 AM

I used it around 1984 or 85 when it was the next big thing. Used it for groin pulls and maybe a bit on the knee. Supposed to increase the blood circulation and heat up the area.

I later gave it up and used wet heat (a hot water bottle wrapped with a wet towel).

Had no idea it was still being used.

Player#1 03-20-2012 04:13 PM

I didn't know people still used that outside of industry or research...

I've had gloves on every time I've handled that.

bertrevert 03-20-2012 04:57 PM

I've used it once.

Isn't it basically horse lineament?

I used it on a bad case of shin splints I think it was, and a sprained ankle from tennis.

Anyway, strange stuff, unsure it really did anything... think it is used as a conduit, a carrier, to move other medicine deeper, true, but am unsure on what inherent properties I experienced from it itself. I think it best to apply and leave it to the open air for an hour. I applied it, and put socks over and played tennis. It felt like I had absorbed some of my sock.

ttwarrior1 03-20-2012 08:55 PM

why would people stop using something that works, if it works, it works forever

SystemicAnomaly 03-20-2012 10:58 PM

Check out this 3-page DMSO thread from 2008. Quite a bit of info:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=212795

gsuede 03-21-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 6411480)
Check out this 3-page DMSO thread from 2008. Quite a bit of info:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=212795

I used did nothing for me but give it a try but plan to smell like garlic all day

SystemicAnomaly 03-21-2012 01:45 PM

^ It might have a similar effect to eating garlic if you use a large amount of DMSO on your skin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6409952)
I used it around 1984 or 85 when it was the next big thing. Used it for groin pulls and maybe a bit on the knee. Supposed to increase the blood circulation and heat up the area.

I later gave it up and used wet heat (a hot water bottle wrapped with a wet towel).

Had no idea it was still being used.

I believe that it is still used in hospitals, by pro sports trainers and, yes, as a liniment for horses. Here are some additional uses:

http://www.altmedicenter.com/am/dmso...geID=dmso3.asp

ttwarrior1 04-20-2012 10:43 PM

okee doky.........

SystemicAnomaly 04-22-2012 02:13 AM

^ Any luck with DMSO, Emu oil, Penetrex or any other concoction?

gavna 04-22-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 (Post 6411305)
why would people stop using something that works, if it works, it works forever

Used it in the 80s for a few yrs......college trainer used it on us almost every day. Stuff was awesome and at the time the main cheap supply was from Vet clinics or from horse trainers who used drums of the stuff. As was said the WORST issue was that it caused the most horrible bad breath and nasty taste in the mouth - in some folks it would sweat out like garlic in others like me all I got was a crappy taste in the back of my throat - if could tell if someone used it often as you could smell their breath from across the room:)
I believe some pain creams still have it as an ingredient at very low levels.

SystemicAnomaly 04-24-2012 07:39 PM

^ Some users report an objectionable taste/smell. Others report a very mild taste and little or no smell. A lot depends on your own body chemistry and how much you use. I use a moderate amount on my left shoulder and to both knees. I experience a slight/mild garlic-y taste that is not really objectionable. Never really had an breath or body odor problem with the amount that I use.

ttwarrior1 06-08-2012 01:20 AM

ordered some, and yes garlic taste in the mouth, will let u know how it goes

jimanuel12 06-08-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 (Post 6409111)
if you don't know what it is, then i doubt you have, thanks

Im considering buying a cream with aloe vera.

It's also in penetrex but not a big ammount i believe

i am currently using for my TE also, it seems to help. i am also trying the ASYTM along with trigger point theraphy - man i am trying everything to get rid of this curse.:(

ttwarrior1 06-08-2012 02:12 PM

not sure if im supposed too but im using glucosamine cream with it so i can save it for longer

Bigtime 06-09-2012 07:56 AM

I use occasionally on sore lower back. Seems to help a little. I don't notice the garlic taste/smell much, I use a small amount and must have the "right" chemistry to proccess it well. Sometimes I will follow it with some natural cream with some cayenne pepper in it. The combo does really warm the area and help lossen tight muscles.

I figure, even if it has mostly a placebo effect, it is worth it to use.

SystemicAnomaly 06-09-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 (Post 6612340)
not sure if im supposed too but im using glucosamine cream with it so i can save it for longer

Don't see any problem with that. Glucosamine creams/lotions often include MSM and Chondriotin. DMSO helps these creams to penetrate better. DMSO, itself, converts to MSM in the body.

jimanuel12 06-15-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimanuel12 (Post 6611592)
i am currently using for my TE also, it seems to help. i am also trying the ASYTM along with trigger point theraphy - man i am trying everything to get rid of this curse.:(

i have used it a few times and yes - bad breath - but it seems to help. i use it a small amount and a couple of times a day. it does help.
how much? i don't know yet - but will let people know if it becomes the cure for TE.:)